Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm O'Gorman

Options
  • 24-10-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I'm straight (Don't bother doing the usual comment on the disclaimer), but am interested in politics, and I was wondering what you all think of Colm O'Gormon, considering that he is an open gay man, with a long-term partner, who has two adopted children? (I think its two)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

FFS why do you have to say you are hetrosexual when asking that question what would be the point ?

And what is the point of the private life of Colm O'Gormon ?
    If you want a opinoin about him as a politicain then please point to his political record.

What is his attendance ?
    what bills and policies has he worked on to enact?
    What is his record for grass roots work for those that voted him in ?
    What lobby groups is he a part of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I'm Bi....oh sorry I didn't need to say that did I.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    What is his attendance ?

Erm, he hasn't been elected......yet!

As a person I think he is a legend. Courageous and honourable at the very least.
    As a politician I hope he is the same.

Please don't prove me wrong Colm!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Who?

..and what the hell does his sexuality have to do with his abilities?

I'm gay.. just thought I'd throw that in there so one might better understand who I am, as it defines me.

Thaedydal wrote:
    ?

A person who is not elected can still do all of the above and should to my mind
    be active local in thier community and not just running for office for the craic, prestige, power or cos he was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

I'm straight (Don't bother doing the usual comment on the disclaimer), but am interested in politics, and I was wondering what you all think of Colm O'Gormon, considering that he is an open gay man, with a long-term partner, who has two adopted children? (I think its two)

I'm me (just to get that out of the way!)

I don't know the man but I am impressed by what he has done so far. If that you say is true, well fair play to him ! He won't be the first gay man in the Dail with children, though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Thaedydal wrote:
    What is his attendance ?
    He has not been elected so he has no history of attendence, but he set up the one-in-four group, one of the largest groups that fought child abuse, if memory serves it was one of the groups that helped highlight the priest's abuse and bring it to light.
    I am asking the question here, because I've often heard LGB people complaining about there being no gays in the Dail, and I wanted to see what they thought of him. Also, he's a PD, which some LGB's don't like apparently (I'm not sure why, they are probably the most LGB friendly party:confused: )

EDIT:
    Vinnie69 wrote:
    He won't be the first gay man in the Dail with children,
    Who is this now?

azezil wrote:

I'm gay.. just thought I'd throw that in there so one might better understand who I am, as it defines me.

Shock! Horror ! I don't believe it a la Victor Meldrew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I just realised that it's Colm O'Gorman. Could the mod change the thread title?

[QUOTE Who is this now?[/QUOTE]

It is not my policy to "out" politicians nor indeed Boards.ie's either.

But to say that there are at least two gays in the Dail already would not be a surprise to anyone :D

Cleary you never heard of Emmet Stag then, and no that is not outing him.

Personally I don't want or need my TD's to have the same sexual gender prefences or religion or gender.
    I do want them to have policies on the issues that matter that reflect my beliefs and to work to impliment them but they don't have to be a female bisexual pagan to do so.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE but they don't have to be a female bisexual pagan to do so.[/QUOTE]

So Dana has your vote in the next election? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

he seems a brave man, in exposing his abuse etc.

he seems intelligent and articulate- which can't be said for some TDs

he is I guess an advocate for those who've been abused - but then its his job getting 80000.00 plus for it

other than that I've no real opinion on the man. I guess it would be nice to have an out gay person sitting in dail- might even help inform some closed conservative minds sharing time with a normal bloke-who's gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Thaedydal wrote:
    A person who is not elected can still do all of the above and should to my mind
    be active local in thier community and not just running for office for the craic, prestige, power or cos he was asked.
    I think he has a lot to be proud of in terms of his record of what he's done without being elected.

I'm not at all convinced about what he'll be like as a TD though. It's a different type of political role, so I have to consider him unproven in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I am asking the question here, because I've often heard LGB people complaining about there being no gays in the Dail, and I wanted to see what they thought of him. Also, he's a PD, which some LGB's don't like apparently (I'm not sure why, they are probably the most LGB friendly party )

Colm O Gorman is one of 2 openly gay candidates for the next Dail Election (the other being Dominic Hannigan - Emmett Stagg is still married) - I think this is a healthy thing that we have openly gay people seeking election.

I hugely admire his work as an advocate on behalf of people who have been abused. I think he is highly intelligent and articulate and I think he would make a good politician.

In my opinion the PDs are definitely not the most LGB Friendy party.

The Minister for Justice Michael McDowell has; appointed a vocal opponent of gaymarriage to the board of the equality authority, stated his belief that inequlaity is neccessary for an economy, told many gay people that it is view they do not wish to marry, lectured gay people about taking on the responsibilities that come with legal recognition.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Colm O Gorman is one of 2 openly gay candidates for the next Dail Election (the other being Dominic Hannigan - Emmett Stagg is still married)
    Eh... just cause he's married to a women doesn't make him straight. It's not the most ideal situation of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am sorry but who cares what his sexual preferences are, who cares, what has it do with anything? What has his sexual preference got to do with anything apart from his own private life which is his own in any case. If he is good at his job that is all that matters.

Senator David Norris is a wonderful senator by the way that is on the Trinity panel, long may he stay there.

Advertisement