Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Honda Civic-Overpriced?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

I was just looking at the new Honda Civic; really nice car and very up to date. But I had to double check the starting price to see if it was right; 22.5k seems very steep for what is essentially a small family car. I thought maybe this was the 1.6 litre which I could forgive, but no it's the 1.4 entry model!
    My ma bought one (last model) a few years back and it was more 19k new.
    Equivalent cars like the Astra/ Golf/Corolla/Leon are like 2-3k cheaper now. The Civic has always been a good seller in Ireland, particularly at entry level. It seems to me like they are pricing themselves out of the market with this new, however good it may be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

New models normally come with increase prices.

The new civic has so many more gadgets and toys than the older one.

Civic is well priced compared to Astra or Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mfitzy wrote:
    I was just looking at the new Honda Civic; really nice car and very up to date. But I had to double check the starting price to see if it was right; 22.5k seems very steep for what is essentially a small family car. I thought maybe this was the 1.6 litre which I could forgive, but no it's the 1.4 entry model!
    My ma bought one (last model) a few years back and it was more 19k new.
    Equivalent cars like the Astra/ Golf/Corolla/Leon are like 2-3k cheaper now. The Civic has always been a good seller in Ireland, particularly at entry level. It seems to me like they are pricing themselves out of the market with this new, however good it may be.

The Civic is a bit expensive but have you compared like with like? Not engines sizes, I'm talking about standard equipment. The Civic has alot of toys as standard. Things like rear electric windows, climate control, 6 speed gear box and stability control are all standard on the Civic. Add these options to the likes of the Focus, Golf and Astra and the price rises quite alot. For example, climate control on the Golf nearly costs €2k extra, even a front arm rest costs €300. So you do have to look at the standard equipment on each car before you can make a direct comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hadn't really thought about the extras the Civic as you say offers. I guess then an equivalently equipped Golf could end up being more expensive. I just thought the price seemed a bit like it was straying into the next class up- I'm more so thinking of the old models price vs the new one. As regards the car itself, there is no comparison between the old and new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hondas are generally more expensive then the rest anyway.
    But they hold their value much better then a Golf or the like.

Advertisement