Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN question

Options
  • 24-10-2006 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I use a VPN connection to connection into work from home. Is there any way to stop my browser and downalod traffic from going through the VPN in order to connect to the internet. It slows down a good bit and access is quite restricted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

Hi,
    try this . I ll presume you're using a dsl/cable router and with xp. set up your network card as normal with a default gateway of the router's inside interface.

Then add a static route on the P.C pointing traffic to the destination lan in your work where you're mail .spreadsheets file etc are held. For example if they were on the 10.10.10.0 /24 network you would type (in dos)

route add 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1 if 0x3 where 10.10.10.1 was the firewall/vpn con you were connecting to and 0x3 is the interface the vpn created under ipconfig.

worth a shot. let us know how you get on and we can try something else.

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Yeah, connecting to a Zyxel Prestige 600 wireless router via wifi. Will have a look into what yer saying, but am a novice at this rote add stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

1. Open the properties of the VPN connection
    2. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP) in the Networking tab
    3. Click on Properties
    4. Click on Advanced
    5. Untick "Use Default Gateway on Remote network"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

cheers liamo, tracert seems to confirm thats working. nice and simple.
    Thanks!

Advertisement