Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hefty customs charges

• 24-10-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I've been lurking around here for the last couple of months and have finally decided to post (Remembering my password was the deciding factor)

I ordered my second gun a few days ago from speedytoys and UPS tried to deliver it yesterday. I wasn't in so they left me an infonotice saying they would try and deliver it again today but that they were supposed to collect E21.97 on delivery. I rang them and they said it was probably for customs but they weren't sure, so i rang the customs office in Tipp and found out that for the purpose of import duty airsoft guns could be classified as either toys or spring/gas firearms. Anyway the person on the phone told me that import duty should be 4.7% of total cost for toys and 3.2% for firearms, altogether including delivery my package cost E53, so I have no idea how UPS are working out that I owe an extra E21.97.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me as speedytoys haven't replied to my emails yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

you're forgetting about the 21% vat and the clearance fee charged by ups, usually around a tenner. 21.97 seems quite low to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As Beano points out any item from outside the EU will be subject to excise at a defined rate (the 4.7% or 3.2%), VAT and a clearance fee charge imposed by the firm that handle the tax collection. The amount chanrged seems about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Well Crud, I guess I did forget about the 21% VAT, wasn't aware of the clearance fee though, ah well first and last time I import anything from the states now a gun that costs $27.99 is gonna end up costing me about E75.

Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

all i can say is thank god i didnt get caught out with my €150 speedy toys order..
    just the luck of the draw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bniall

well heck i got my g3 +kit from hong kong for about £260 and i was charged about £50 so count urselfs lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

A little off topic, but I got stung a couple of months back by customs. I got a replica sword for my 1798 collection.......I nearly fell over when the guy said there was a €60 customs charge!

I was in VERY bad form that day! :mad:

Master of the Universe

yeah i couldnt believe how much customs actually added on to stuff. and what makes it even more absurd is the fact that only random packages get charged.
    ah well, no use complaining i suppose. just start praying you're one of the lucky ones

well i just got a call from UPS, my new toy is now resting comfortably in the hands of my mommy, cant wait to get home and try the coke can test :D

Master of the Universe

man you might wanna watch out doing the coke can test. that guns muzzle velocity isnt powerful enough to penetrate. you'll have a nice pirates eye patch next time i see you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

lol true, when i tested my glock it bounced back and hit the bro in the neck.

ive been charged duty on most of my stuff :( or its the postman ;p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

ooh you have a glock. nice! is it a gbb or an aep? i was looking into getting the TM glock 18c aep at some point in the future. 220-240 fps instead of a gbb 300..but i'd only need it for close ranges as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

a glock u say?
    Ohh whats this a fullauto glock for $42 i bet Oisin would like 2 have 1 or 2 :D

Master of the Universe

LOL! was that an attempt at revenge? damn you!!! *kick*

:p

lol , its an aep id say go for the cyma cm030 its got great reviews. i was thinking of getting one and upgrading it with the rail , silencer and holoscope thing.

Master of the Universe

just reading about it now. suposidly the same as the TM, but half the price. that sounds promising!

Its not supposed to feel very good when firing but its supposed to be very effective what with all the crazy high caps one can get for it :rolleyes: .
    Its Rof is better than my Beretta apparantly .Why settle for one osin when ya can get a brace :D
    btw Realeyes tought u had this gun? ya did get some sort of glock Aep did ya?

Master of the Universe

some guy who reviewed it said he was getting 194fps with .20g bbs. said its only really good for CQB. or a backup to a backup in a large game. the marui gets about 220-245fps. although thats because it uses a more powerful batt.

yeah i got the TM Glock18c AEP. Was the first gun i got, emptys 30rd mag in like 3-4 seconds in fullauto i need a hi cap but im waiting to see if cyma or another china company bring one out.

back up for a back up that sound like you doesnt it Famas/Sniper rifle as primary that tasty ingram as secondary *drools* and a glock or 10 backups:D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

reckon i could carry my sniper and famas at the same game ? ;)

heh, i can see the two of us turning up at a skirmish totally loaded down with weapons. its too hard to choose damn it!

ya a group of people to our right just wating for some1 to lend them a gun and theirs us with about 8 between us roflcopt0rz:D

we could rent them out ;p ima make an irc channel on quakenet #airsoft.irl

thats a crazy idea realeyes sheer madness :)

Master of the Universe

oisin doesnt share guns!

o1s1n wrote:
    man you might wanna watch out doing the coke can test. that guns muzzle velocity isnt powerful enough to penetrate. you'll have a nice pirates eye patch next time i see you

Good guess man (not about the eyepatch thankfully). I knew it was low powered when i bought it but I just couldn't resist. I kept picturing myself dressed as the Joker and pulling out that stupidly long barrelled gun to shoot down the Batwing.

Even with its low power and pathetic range I absolutely love this gun maybe its because it is a revolver, now whos up for some russian roulette :D

Master of the Universe

"I kept picturing myself dressed as the Joker and pulling out that stupidly long barrelled gun to shoot down the Batwing." lol strangely enough i was just thinking that same thing earlier.

its just a fun gun. the mechanisms on it are about as close to a real steel revolver as you're going to get. and did i mention how damn cool it looks?

i really want one. but you're after scaring be bejasus out of me with the added import and VAT costs you incurred.

Advertisement