Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difficulty closing account with NTL

Options
  • 24-10-2006 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

HI...not sure if this is the correct place to put this, so mods feel free to move it.

Basically I'm moving house...so I no longer need my NTL service. I opened it in 2003 (moved an existing account into my name..and was charged for this). I told NTL (5/10)that I wanted the service to cease once the period I have paid for was up (14/10). NTL said that I had to give 30 days notice to do this and that this was stipulated in my contract that I had signed (i never signed anything and despite repeated attempts to get NTL to provide a copy of this "contract" they are still claiming that I signed one). They are also telling me that this 30 day notice rule is in their terms and conditions (which they also failed to provide me with) and on the back of their bills (it first appeared in april 2005). One agent also told me that when i opened the account that if i wasnt happy with this that I could have cancelled my account within 10 days ....I told him I was never informed of this 30 day closing period.

Basically my gripe is that NTL never told me of the 30 day period to close and account and that by trying to force me to pay for something I dont want that this is pretty much them trying bully boy tactics to extort money from me.

I tried ringing COMREG, but their only advice was to get NTLs terms and conditions from them (which is basically the problem that we never got them in the first place!..also at this stage NTL could put whatever they want on the t&cs and claim it was always in force) </> rant<>

anybody got any advice on this?

tx

oh and to top it all off...NTL have sent me a bill for a further 2 months service !!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ODCA has just taken over dealing with consumer issues like this one`from Comreg . The Comreg Consumer Protection Department collapsed ( in essence) during the Smart Fiasco.

The issue here is an unfair contract because you cannot READ the T&Cs they will not give you . Ring 1890 220 229 or email your details to odca@entemp.ie and they will take this up with NTL for you.

As NTL are downsizing dramatically and sending part of their customer care and billing abroad I hear they will need careful watching by the ODCAS for the next while seeing as 20% of households are consumers of NTL/Comreg

Just because they are abroad is no excuse for not training them in Irish Consumer Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

thanks Sponge bob...will keep you appraised of what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The ODCA has just taken over dealing with consumer issues like this one`from Comreg .

I'm curious to know where this has been announced? I hadn't seen it anywhere myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Send them cancellation in writing by recorded post. But it is normal for a 1 month cancellation notice on most utility services incl ESB, Telecom NTL Corus Sky etc etc. - Allows them to complete paperwork and send a contractor out. If you don't send it in writing they can deny you called.

If you are moving to a Corus area note that they are now owned by NTL, so you may have bargaining power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

rondjon wrote:
    I'm curious to know where this has been announced? I hadn't seen it anywhere myself?
    Its on the ODCA website

http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/press/press3.cfm?article_no=6371
    The ODCA has provided guidelines for those consumers who may wish to change phone service providers. The guidelines carefully lay out the consumer’s rights when making a contract and the regulations governing distance and doorstep selling.
    and ODCA Enforcement unit 1 job Description

http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/about/enforce.cfm

The Enforcement Unit is split into two groups - Enforcement Unit 1 and Enforcement Unit 2.
    The remit of Enforcement Unit 1 includes:

Toy Safety
    Electrical Goods
    Price display in Shops, Pubs and Restaurants
    Textile and footwear labelling
    Timeshare and Holiday clubs
    Misleading Advertising
    Telecommunications
    Unfair terms in consumer contracts

HTH

• Advertisement

mcaul wrote:
    Send them cancellation in writing by recorded post. But it is normal for a 1 month cancellation notice on most utility services incl ESB, Telecom NTL Corus Sky etc etc. - Allows them to complete paperwork and send a contractor out. If you don't send it in writing they can deny you called.

If you are moving to a Corus area note that they are now owned by NTL, so you may have bargaining power.

ESB dont need any notice....they told me just to ring them up and give them a last meter reading.

NTL have details on their file for the account.

Personally i think that if they want to have a 30 day notice period, then they should let you know up front (and should be legally obliged to provide you with this info)...if not then I think that they are at fault.

I know this is only about 15-20 euros ...but i feel its more the principal of it than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seafree

Hi

Glad to hear I'm not alone in trying to close my NTL account. I got so frusterated by not reaching them on the phone that I wrote them a letter of complaint and requesting them to close my account and giving my new address. I got confirmation back by email which by the way I already tried to contact them via that it was closed. Checked my online banking on Monday and see they had deducted 39.99 from my account. Sent an email to NTL. Still no response. Called yesterday and to my utter shock got through to an operator straight away who had obviously forgot to take himself out of action. He tried to ignore my Hellos and eventually took the call. I explained very calmly that I was very upset by what happened and that it was over a month since i had given notice. I was given the 30 day policy spiel, which i accepted and then asked him to check that the check for what I was owed was going to my new address. i was told No it would go to my old address to which I explained that it was currenly been occupied by builders. This was basically ignored and the operator was really agressive with me, I felt that it was my fault that I dared asked for my money back.

Any ideas what to do next. Is it worth writing another letter of complaint to NTL. Should I give up on this and accept that NTL will never refund me what I'm owed.

Any advice anyone

Seafree

Seafree....if you have given them 30 days notice and they still took money from your account for a service you didnt want, then you can tell your bank that they have allowed somebody to debit money that you didnt agree to. My understanding of Direct debits is that the bank will refund you if money is taken out of your account which you dont agree to.

But if I were you I would threaten to sue for damages and breach of contract...should get NTL to give you your money back....i'm in a different position in that I didnt give them any money...but they still are billing me for a service I no longer want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

do what i did with smart b4 they went bang. Fax your bank instructing them to cancel the direct debit and reject any further attempts by ntl. I rang smart 5 times with no luck. I did this and smart rang me!!!!!

Advertisement