Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to BT

Options
  • 24-10-2006 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I currently have Eircom with 2 MB which I want to upgrade to 3MB. Trying to get information from the totally woeful Eircom site they seem to quote €54 on one page and €48.40 on another.

BT are offering 3Mb at €40.

Now for the questions!
    • Is it financially and mentally worthwhile to go through the trauma of cancelling Eircom and hitting the myriad of snags?
    • Will BT guarantee that your new connection will work straight off or will a non existant after sales tell you that they will send out an engineer at your expense?
    • Will the 3MB actually work if I stay with Eircom?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Heinrich wrote:
    I currently have Eircom with 2 MB which I want to upgrade to 3MB. Trying to get information from the totally woeful Eircom site they seem to quote €54 on one page and €48.40 on another.

BT are offering 3Mb at €40.

Now for the questions!
    • Is it financially and mentally worthwhile to go through the trauma of cancelling Eircom and hitting the myriad of snags?
    • Will BT guarantee that your new connection will work straight off or will a non existant after sales tell you that they will send out an engineer at your expense?
    • Will the 3MB actually work if I stay with Eircom?

Leaving out the pros and cons of your proposed switch you should try and ensure before you do anything that your line is capable of the 3Mb.

Have you checked your line stats to see if it will sustain the 3Mb that you want?

Read these if you are in any doubt:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Eircom's 3Mb product is now 48.40 since the price drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

I'm in a similar situation, considering moving from UTV to BT.

I dug up some info from old threads on the least painful procedure to do the switch and posted it here, but I didn't get any feedback on whether its up to date or correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Heinrich wrote:
    [*]Will BT guarantee that your new connection will work straight off or will a non existant after sales tell you that they will send out an engineer at your expense?
    BT are just reselling the eircom bitstream service, so if it works on eircom, it'll work with BT. You can get your DSL transferred, whch will mean that you don't even have any interruption of service.

Advertisement