Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi - Bus lane

Options
  • 24-10-2006 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Can a taxi use the bus lane if he / she has no paying passanger?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

want2play wrote:
    Can a taxi use the bus lane if he / she has no paying passanger?

Yes, on their way to collect a fare.
    I don't know how a Garda would prove they weren't on their way to a fare so they must have unlimited use of buslanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

micmclo wrote:
    Yes, on their way to collect a fare.
    I don't know how a Garda would prove they weren't on their way to a fare so they must have unlimited use of buslanes.

Well seeing as you can wave a taxi down while standing on the St I suppose you could say they are always on the way to pick up a fare

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Isn't this the reason Michael O'Leary bought a taxi license a few years ago so he could skip the traffic and he generously (ahem) offered people a lift from Mullingar to Dublin for €86 each way (rhymes with banker...)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

39. (1) A person shall not enter a with-flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period indicated by means of an information plate of the type authorised by article 5 (2) of the bus lane regulations.

(2) A person shall not enter a contra-flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

(3) A person shall not enter a bus-only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

(4) (a) Paragraphs (1) and (2) of this bye-law shall not apply to a vehicle entering a with-flow bus lane or a contra-flow bus lane solely for the purpose—

(i) of entering or leaving premises or property adjacent to such a bus lane, or
    (ii) of entering or leaving a road inset adjacent to such a bus lane in order to load or unload goods.
    (b) Paragraph (1) of this bye-law does not apply to a licensed public hire vehicle which is being used in the course of business as a public hire vehicle and which bears a roof sign clearly indicating that the vehicle is a street service vehicle.

It's unclear whether this includes going to a pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

(b) Paragraph (1) of this bye-law does not apply to a licensed public hire vehicle which is being used in the course of business as a public hire vehicle and which bears a roof sign clearly indicating that the vehicle is a street service vehicle.

It's unclear whether this includes going to a pick up.
    That sounds to me as though it would include all driving while on duty as a taxi driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Anan1 wrote:
    That sounds to me as though it would include all driving while on duty as a taxi driver.

I agree, so long as the roof sign is on and he is "working" i.e. open to offers then he can use the bus lane. AFAIK, O'Leary lost the plate because he wasn;t using the taxi in the normal course of business and the taxi wasn't available for private hire, nor was he paying a taxi fare but, rather, wages to his driver

Advertisement