Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 magnum

Options
  • 24-10-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

I am presently looking for a new 22wmr, whats the score on the 10/22 magnum from ruger. Previously had cz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

wouldnt by a 10/22 magnum or make sure you read up on them before you do i dont think they're that great.

You cant really go wrong with cz i wont say there the best but you wouldnt get anything better under €1000 and for a €400 gun thats not bad. They are raelly well made and will last a life time mine is 7 years old and working as good as ever.

There are other makes available like the ruger 77/22 (bolt action ruger) but there has been quaility issues with these however still a good gun. Remington 527 i think but again heard alot of bad things. Sako quad are excellent guns afaik and you can buy different barrels which are easily changed which is a nice feature.

If you insist on getting a semi my recomendation would be to get a brno 611 they're a fantastic rifle well made and nicest looking semi ive seen in a long time you may have to import it though as they're rare in ireland which would be a bit of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

will stick to cz but they are an ugly gun slim schnabel forend puts me off. I have a cz american in 22lr (ace gun very accurate) I was told you cant get it here in 22 wmr. For info purposes the Sako quad is about 800 Euro and 250 per barrell.

I'm like a kid in a toy shop not knowing what to get!!!

Does anyone know how much that full wood cz is in wmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

will stick to cz but they are an ugly gun slim schnabel forend puts me off.
    According to CZ's Hunting Rifles catalogue, the following are available in .22WMR:

The 452 - 2E ZKM Standard-
    cz4522ezkmstandardzy8.jpg
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=2&ids=8&idz=22&lang=en

...the 452 - 2E ZKM Lux-
    cz4522ezkmluxfk0.jpg
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=2&ids=8&idz=23&lang=en

...the 452 - 2E ZKM American-
    cz4522ezkmamericanyg1.jpg
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=2&ids=8&idz=24&lang=en

...and the 452 - 2E ZKM Varmint-
    cz4522ezkmvarminttn6.jpg
    (not according to this page though :confused:) http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=2&ids=8&idz=26&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Prob will be buying a CZ wmr in the near future myself...so i'm just drooling away here :D
    but on a side note...the stocks on the first 2 rifles in Rovi's post are not as suited to Optical Scopes as the second 2, due to the way they slope back ..... am I right ??

The Sako Quad looks a very nice gun... very pricey though I looked into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Nothing wrong with the 10/22 WMR.It will take most to all the dressup bits that the 10/22lr will.Just the shells are damn expensive as are the hi cap mags for it.
    Depends on what you want to use it for.Methinks it would make modifed a very good "very poor mans assault rifle".Apart from that unless you got packs of foxes,or animals in that size, it is a waste of time around here.

spideog7 wrote:
    ...the stocks on the first 2 rifles in Rovi's post are not as suited to Optical Scopes as the second 2, due to the way they slope back ..... am I right ??
    Correct!
    Like their bigger brethren (for example, the 550 Safari Magnum-
    main023ow8.png
    ...available in such manly calibres as .416 Rigby and .458 Win. Mag., among others), these rifles are designed to be used with open sights.
    While they are capable of accommodating a scope, in my opinion that would spoil the lines of the gun.
    CZ have a reputation for supplying their rifles with among the very best open sights on any production rifle.

The 'hogsback' or 'roman nose' stock is just perfect with open sights. They just naturally line up when you throw the rifle to your shoulder, much like mounting a shotgun.
    Very useful when a large angry piece of fauna is determined to integrate you into the landscape.
    Right now.
    At very short notice.

That said, your next of kin will probably be of the opinion that holding something chambered in .22WRM at the time might, in retrospect, be perceived to have been something of a poor selection under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

cavan shooter: I have a CZ in 22WMR at the moment as well - was thinking of making the same move to Ruger.
    I'm looking at down sizing to the 10/22 LR though - just want to get somthing I can 'silence' better for the bunnies.
    SOOOOOOOO many options though - I was thinking of buying the bog standard one and getting a decent barrel - short 16" or thereabouts - rimfiremagic have them but the price is brutal - then they do come threaded which can cost you 80 or 90 quid to get done here anyway.
    I'd get the stock and other trigger kits etc direct from the US - a lot cheaper.

I think the 22wmr is a great round with the better ammo like the remington premiers but I've mainly shot rabbits with it in the last year so it's pointless keeping it when it's so much louder and expensive to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rovi wrote:
    That said, your next of kin will probably be of the opinion that holding something chambered in .22WRM at the time might, in retrospect, be perceived to have been something of a poor selection under the circumstances.
    el-buddystanding-280.jpg
    He's coming right at us!
    :D

Sparks wrote:
    He's coming right at us!
    :D
    There's only one thing for that-
    imptyvmp020360kr6.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cant beat 22lr used mine for years on greys,mags,bunnies and even called in foxes to be stingered (75yrd). I like that all wood cz, worry about accuracy as a lot of wood around the barrell

Looked at a remington 597 magnum auto today,heavy barrell 20inch there seems to be a big push on autos every shop i've tried are pushing them. I'm worried about accuracy and power though, any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Had a few shots out of one in .17 a few weeks back at a hundred m. very accurate.

Well nothing wrong with the guns accuracy anyway, dont know about the shooter:D

rimfirecentral.com is a good place to get info and reviews on but you'll come to the same conclusion i did that cz's are the best value for money gun out there. They're reliable well built very accurate and look well why go with anything else.

Cz models available in .22wmr are
    american
    varmint
    lux
    full stock (the wood all around makes no difference to accuracy it might be slightly rubbing off the barrel but can easily be free flosted the whole way up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

If i had the money sako quad in .22wmr, if not the cz, like you said you had/have one in .22lr. You know cz is good value for money. On a personal note i dont like semis dont know why just dont, id stick with bolt-action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

newby.204 wrote:
    If i had the money sako quad in .22wmr, if not the cz, like you said you had/have one in .22lr. You know cz is good value for money. On a personal note i dont like semis dont know why just dont, id stick with bolt-action.

anchutz do a tasty 22wmr in a varmint barrel and adjustible trigger,its pushed more for the hunter than the target person although i have a cz .17hmr (still trying to rid of for the next project) has a big hold on the 22wmr in the terms of bullet distance and stopping power,a great 200yrd bunny basher but only on a calm day for long range,and for some reason it likes a soiled barrel can anyone explain that one ???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

for some reason it likes a soiled barrel
    Lots of reports of that with the .17hmr. Maybe once you get down to the .22lr level of kinetic energy, barrel consistency is more important than ever and that's why it happens?

arent most rimfire rounds like that people often fire 5 fouling shots down a barrel before competitions.

Depending on your cleaning habbit some people wont clean the barrel until the accuracy starts decreasing and could have anything up to 200 rounds through it still getting good groups

Well folks thanks for all the advice, looked at the cz, rugers and remington. In the end I went for the remington 597 (auto) in 22 mag, (didn't fancy the ruger, barrell too short 18.5 inches).

This rifle is very close to the length of the cz american I owned.) spent yesterday on the range with it and I am well impressed, its the heavy barrelled model and it is a dream very tight groups at 100 yrds. Mil dot scopes are the way forward busting clays 200 yrds off the bipod. By the way my old rifle always prefered a dirty barrell

Advertisement