Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lanes and bus stops?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭

I use the cycle lane on the stillorgan dual carriage way,you have red cycle lane, bus stop area and then cycle lane continues after. Now apart from using common sense and good manners who has the right of way, does the area between the red lanes cease to be a cycle lane even though there are no signs.
    Oh and for good measure a couple of the stops have a sort of tile with a ridge going in the direction of cycling, looking forward to that on an icy morning.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

theres one on the way into santry(across the road from the stadium) from the airport on the footpath and there is a bus-shelter near the end of it and at the bottom of the hill, I cycled on it a few times, but decided for my own safety and sanity to stay on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

silverharp wrote:
    Oh and for good measure a couple of the stops have a sort of tile with a ridge going in the direction of cycling, looking forward to that on an icy morning.
    Let the local council know your concern *now*, before an icy morning. They might sort it out (Last week I rang Coolmine Roads depot of Fingal County Council about a worn yellow box - it was painted a few days later, though drivers still ignore it :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

silverharp wrote:
    I use the cycle lane on the stillorgan dual carriage way,you have red cycle lane, bus stop area and then cycle lane continues after. Now apart from using common sense and good manners who has the right of way, does the area between the red lanes cease to be a cycle lane even though there are no signs.

From whites cross to fox rock church? I dont think it is legally a cycle track at all, due to the lack of white lines. Those ridges are ridiculous, I do not see the purpose of them at all. The bumps on the lane where it meets the driveways is also crazy, very bumpy even on a mountain bike. I used to cycle on the road, so as not to damage the bike, and since I am 90% sure it is an illegal lane/path to be cycling on. But due to some near falls due to bullying bus drivers I am back on the path(I have written to dublin bus and got a reply). It is also dangerous since the drivers stop anywhere and let passengers off, especially at the lights before the church with no stop near it. Pedestrians also walk on that stretch anyway, this is not wandering, there is a big green patch between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

rubadub wrote:
    From whites cross to fox rock church?

From Nutley Ave. to Stillorgan. The bus letting out passangers is a good one alright. Its just annoying when you get the odd person and you just know they havn't seen you and youre just waiting for them to wander out with eyes wide shut.

daymobrew - thanks for the suggestion about the tiles, hadn't actually thought about that although it looks like they only put them in recently so they won't be to keen I reckon

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

silverharp wrote:
    Got a picture?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

silverharp wrote:
    It's not a cycle track when it's a bus stop.

Right-of-way would be whoever was there first, but bus drivers, like us all, are subject to the law on overtaking which expressly forbids overtaking if would would cause danger or inconvenience to anyone else. So, if a bus overtakes you and stops very shortly afterwards causing you to stop, brake or swerve, that's inconvenient & potentially dangerous enough to mean the bus-driver has broken the law.

As regards stoppiing 'anywhere', I believe that there are by-laws which specify that buses may only drop off or accept passengers at designated bus stops. Doing so anywhere else may be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

rubadub- so you have had experience of the murderous N11 QBC bus drivers as well? Overtake too close and deliberately edge into you by any chance? What response did you get out of Dublin Bus?

daymobrew- I doubt they are going to "fix" the tiles, if they are the ones I am thinking of they are there by design (it's not a bug, it's a feature!) Worth a letter but about as likely as the council "fixing" all the driveways in the path between newtownpark avenue and foxrock church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

This is tangentially relevant, I think, so i thought I'd mention it:

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055006204

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

theres one on the way into santry(across the road from the stadium) from the airport on the footpath and there is a bus-shelter near the end of it and at the bottom of the hill, I cycled on it a few times, but decided for my own safety and sanity to stay on the road.

i know that one, i stay out of the cycle lane most of the eay down thar road cause of the up on the path/back then again thing it does. i also hat the part going the other way just after the maxol where the cycle lane comes down off the path right into the turning left lane of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blorg wrote:
    rubadub- so you have had experience of the murderous N11 QBC bus drivers as well? Overtake too close and deliberately edge into you by any chance? What response did you get out of Dublin Bus?
    Gave a big long rant, with some white lies, gathered from tales I have heard here and things I have seen myself. including
    There are no yield signs at the 3 bus stops on the apparent track which should have signalled to your ignorant drivers that it is not a legal track, and that the track is in fact on the road.

Your drivers also sometimes allow passengers to alight at the bus stop just prior to the church, walking straight out onto the apparent cycle track.

Your drivers often continue to beep at me as though I am in the wrong, then they often pass extremely close with no slowing down, as if to "teach me a lesson", I have come close to falling off a few times due to the wind gust caused by them.

I have now decided to illegally cycle on the apparent track and I want to know if you will be willing to pay my fine if I am caught by the gardai. If not I will begin to take the numbers of your buses and report them to the gardai for dangerous driving.

their reply
    Dear Mr xxx,
    Thank you for your e-mail.

Your comments in relation to this area have been noted and forwarded to
    our Donnybrook depot. I have asked that drivers are advised on this
    matter.

I thank you for contacting us and I apologise for the inconvenience
    caused.

Thanking you,
    xxx
    Public Affairs.

• Advertisement