Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Eye Clinic

• 24-10-2006 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

I've got an appointment for the WEC next January and I was wondering does anyone have any experiences or know of anyone who has been to get there eyes LASIK or any of the other treatments.

Basically what I want to know is, What kinda treatment did they get? Did they suffer any side effects? Did it work? I know the ratio of it not working is extremely low, because of something going wrong or not following the aftercare correctly. How long did it take to recover. I know it differs from person to person. How long ago was it that they got it done. I can't think of any other questions at the moment but if I do...

Thanks any advice or answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

oh how much do you get back from the Tax claim. is it a percentage or the lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi Trish,
    I know two girls in work that got it done. One is my boss and she looked a bit 'rabbit caught in a headlight' for a while and one is actually the optometrist where I work. Both were total successes.
    I was talking to the optometrist about it because I was thinking of getting it done myself and she basically sold me on the idea. She made it sound like people who had nothing wrong with their eyes should get it done because it was so great!
    Then I found out she's married to the surgeon :)

Anyway the long and the short of it is that it seems to be a very safe and sound proceedure and I am considering getting it done when I get the cash. You can be the guinea pig ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Roen wrote:
    You can be the guinea pig

Thanks

I was talkin to my mothers friend her sister got it done. She still has to wear her glasses for driving. Which is fine if I still have to wear them for that I can live with it.

A friend of mine got it done as well but unfortunately she's not in the country It was her that told me I should get it done as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Trish, I got it done 3 years ago, never looked back. There are basically two types, one is where the cornea is cut open lifted back and then the laser does it's job, the cornea is put back in place, this is more expensivw but faster. The second was is that the laser works straight on the cornea, i had this done because my corneas were too thin. this is the cheaper option but recovery is 24 hours.
    I had it done in Aut Even (spelling?) in Kilkenny and had to get the morphine and sleeping tablets in waterford, on the way back down the pain kicked in. For the second eye I kept a morphine tablet from the first operation and took it straight away and the pain wasn't as bad. Basically you got to bed and don't get up until the next morning. You then have to go back the next morning to get the patch off, even at this stage you sight should be improving. Then you go back three days later and you sight should be fine. You are given drops etc.
    I have had no problem with the op, it's great not having to wear glasses (couldn't wear contacts because my eyes were too dry).
    Sorry if my details are not 100% correct with respect the different procedures but it was 3 years ago. I'd recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

On a slightly different subject, I have had about 10,000 laser shots to both eyes over the years and soon to have quite a few more.
    This is because I suffer with Diabetes and this illness cause's problems with the eyes as well as other parts of the body that is treated by laser.
    If anybody else suffers from Diabetes and has to undergo Laser surgery then don't have any fear about it as it is painless although the eye knows its been hit by something and then starts watering.
    The worst part I find is he the immense bright light they shine into your eye as they are examining it and is extremely uncomfortable as you are unable to close your eye because of the contact lens they use for the examination.

The good news is that I recently passed the eye sight test to enable me to keep my driving license.

Thanks everyone I'll let y'all know how it goes I have the appointment in January for the consultation as it seems to be popular at the moment.

i don't think Eddie hobbs mentioned this in his 30 things to do with your SSIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

Hi Trish

I had the surgery done in the WEC 2 years ago. It was a success and the experience was no worse than going to the dentist !
    The website has a lot of information www.waterfordeyeclinic.ie
    The recovery period varies I'd say - for me I could see very well the day after the surgery. But my eyesight continued to improve for up to 3 - 6 months afterwards. At first, my eyes were a lot more sensitive to bright lights particularly when driving, but that eased after a few weeks.
    I suffered no side effects at all and know of about 10 people who also had it done successfully with no side effects to speak of.
    You need to put drops in your eyes for about 3 months I think. You go for check-ups the day after surgery, then at 1 week, 1 month, 3 months and then 12 months ( thats how often I went anyway )

You get tax relief on the costs at the rate you pay tax - so if you pay at the high rate of 42%, you can claim back 42% of the total bill. You have to wait until the following year to claim.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

I'm booked ino WEC for laser surgery in December. I'm getting really nervous, but I'm happy to be doing it, I'm so fed up of wearing glasses and lenses, especially cos I'm a waterbaby and love swimming.
    I'll let you know how I get on...

Ok just to update the thread just like i said I would.

I was farsighted with a lazy left eye (when I was younger) aparently it works much better and longer for shortsighted people.

so anyway I got my left eye done last wednesday(7/2/07) I got 2 Valium when I went in that morning and drops in my eyes to numb them. It was fine, when I got I took a sleeping tablet that they gave me, and I slept on and off for about 3hours. I got my right eye done on the Friday Morning the same routeen. My eye's are still a little bloodshot(bruised) which is normal it's from the clamps.

I was fine after it my eyes were a little sensitive to light still. It was so cool siting up in bed on Sunday Morning and watching tv without having to wear my glasses and my eye sight (focusing) is improving all the time. So that's the update.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Advertisement