Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for a noob

Options
  • 24-10-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I currently own a dell 8300 with a gig a ram, an x800xt (agp ), 160gig HDD etc. , and am looking at upgrading or buying new since I have run in to €1200, I do some business work on the current setup and also enjoy a fair bit of gaming. Can you guys give me a bit of advice on what to do as Im sure the money wont last that long.....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Upgrade, pre-built or self-build?

Upgrade or self-built, try here:https://www.komplett.ie/k/kd.asp?bn=10000

Try here, if you fancy pre built: http://www.ankermann-pc.co.uk/
    Great prices, 2yr warranty. Well recommended here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I have looked at both sites a number of times in recent days and would like to actually try and build myself but am unsure of exactly what to get...I know id like a sli or crossfire capable motherboard and would like to get into overclocking a bit but I just dont know what the best components are for the build...could somebody spec me something decent??

Not got time now m8, just headin out, but i'll spec sumthin later if some1 else dont :D

could possibly stretch this to €1400

You got the basics? ie mouse keyboard monitor etc?
    What exactly do you need with this budget?

• Advertisement

have the monitor keyboard etc. , need the case and everything inside it..

..I need something thats reasonably powerful and be able to add to it over the coming months, would like to able to put two cards in crossfire configuration down the line..

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=394931&su=54E57B4A-3734-4316-AFFB-95732A977BAC

Had this made up b4 i saw yr last post, Swap out what you feel & pick a case to your own liking. If ya want another gpu, change to a 975 mobo, drop the soundcard & change the 7600gt. But i don't think it'll be possible to go xfire on this budget, can add extra gpu later. Can drop to 1gb of ram if ya wanna cut cash also.

thanks pog...could probably stretch to 1500...with the xfire mobo and x1950 master, the question is is it worth it??

You realise dx10 cards are out in 3 weeks? Older cards should drop in price then.

What res does your monitor support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

It goes without saying but you can get a bit of added benefit out of the old PC, either by selling it or using the HDD or RAM (in addition to the good RAM you'll be buying) unless you're planning to keep it. In fact if you sell it on adverts you'll have it torn to pieces by the ravenous wolves there, full machines being wanted is rare, especially older ones. Depending on whether you're planning to do that it might help your budget.

the monitor is a dell 21"p1130...the reason why I want to get a decent card is that I probably wont have this type of money to spend next year and from what ive been hearing there wont be a huge selection of dx10 games for a good few months..

ok, I think Ill just push the boat out on this, what do you guys think of this setup

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=395235&su=980796B0-EDB8-4265-9BB0-3BBF4960643B

Looks spot on m8, dunno bout the case tho. If you plan on oc'in ya should look 4 case with 120mm fans front & back for better airflow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

looks like a good rig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

wingnut32 wrote:
    ok, I think Ill just push the boat out on this, what do you guys think of this setup

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=395235&su=980796B0-EDB8-4265-9BB0-3BBF4960643B

would that radeon be better than a 7950gx2 ??

yeah, the antec nine hundred cas on overclockers looks the part...thanks for all the help and replies, Im sure ill be back when I attempt to start building this (first build), just one more question though would the mobo support the ati crossfire dx10 cards in the future??

wingnut32 wrote:
    yeah, the antec nine hundred cas on overclockers looks the part...thanks for all the help and replies, Im sure ill be back when I attempt to start building this (first build), just one more question though would the mobo support the ati crossfire dx10 cards in the future??

Yes, but you can only run dx10 if you get vista outerwise it'll run in dx9 mode.

Good luck
    Pog.

IgsTer wrote:
    would that radeon be better than a 7950gx2 ??

No. There is no card faster than the gx2, its the fastest there is out there at the moment. The gx2 is also a dual gpu ie. 2 7900gt's on 1 card.

Advertisement