Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICC certificate

• 24-10-2006 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have some experience on boats belonging to friends and relatives in Ireland, Norway and Spain (all sizes up to 40'). I would a like to be able to charter a yacht in the Med at some stage for a holiday but to rent anywhere in Europe an ICC certificate is necessary. I'm also looking at buying a boat myself in the next year or two and I'd like a bit more experience or perhaps some formal training before I buy. Basically I'd like to know what people's advice is on this score.
    • how difficult is the exam/ what's entailed
    • where can I do it?
    • how much does it usually cost
    • Is it better to do it in Ireland or to combine it with a week's sailing holiday somewhere warmer? (several RYA approved centres in the Med)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Thanks for that, but don't they only do powerboats? I was doing some reading on it and it seems as if an ICC for sail covers you for power, but not vice versa.
    Is there anybody out there who has sailed out of Kilmore with Sailing Ireland? They run the ICC course as a 2 day course i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

They do only do powerboats.
    Requirements for an ICC are as follows:
    http://www.sailing.ie/dynamic/pdf/Guide%20to%20the%20ICC(JULY04).pdf

You must have an Advanced sailing(level 4) cert or a yachtmaster(sailing) cert to get a sailing ICC and a National Powerboat Cert(level 2) or a yachtmaster(motor) cert to get a motor ICC.... it is possible to get one for both motor and sailing.. all is revealed at the link above..
    The Marine Activity Centre on the West Pier in Dun Loaghaire do sailing courses i think..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scartboy

To get an ICC cert, you must either do an ICC course or do an ISA/RYA Day Skipper course which qualifies you for an ICC. The latter involves a five day practical course - see the RYA web site for details of the course content.
    I can highly recommend West Cork Sailing (see www.westcorksailing.com), where I did my training. They do a five day course on a 37 foot Jeanneau around Bantry Bay and West Cork which is both practical and fun.
    I can also recommend a course with Sunsail (sunsail.com) on the Solent, where the scenery is less attractive and the tuition not as good, but you get very useful experience in dealing with crowded shipping lanes - you will meet everything from ocean liners to oil tankers to high-speed ferries - we even saw a minesweeper on our course - excellent practice in the regulations regarding Shapes and Lights!

Advertisement