Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

System Restore fails and other problems!

• 24-10-2006 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭

Over the last week or so, sometimes when shutting down I've noticed an error message saying:

"The instruction at 0x69532047 referenced memory could not be written.
    Click O.K to terminate the programme."

The above numbers vary. One time it was 0x011e110f and another time it was 0x0255aff0

And it might happen every time I shutdown and I just haven't noticed... it will continue to shutdown if I click on O.K. or not.

So I thought a System Restore might sort it out (that's about as tech as I get!) but when my PC starts up again I get "Couldn't do System Restore...."

Have done a virus scan and nothing showed up.

Any ideas???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What OS are you running? Have you added any new hardware lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭sudzs

It's Windows XP home edition.

And I got a new hp all in one printer, scanner about a month ago.

Just to add, that at the top of the error message that comes up when I'm shutting down it says:
    ccSvcHst.exe application error

Help! Pleasse!!!

That file is linked to Symantec apparently. Have you got Norton Antivirus*shudder* or something like that? Try disabling it and see if the errors remain.

Yes, Norton I'm afraid! :(

Actually, now that I think of it all this started after I was asked for the activation key for my Norton 2004 (which of course I didn't have) and was terrified of going online without protection so I downloaded the latest version.

Will I remove it and reinstall it?? Or just remove it? :confused:

Probably a stupid question but should I turn off my "on all the time" broadband until ready to download Norton again?? :o

and thanks for the advice! I'm feeling very vulnerable without my System Restore!

• Advertisement

Remove it, Norton is a pile o' sheet anyway. Get AVG Free or Anti-Vir. They both are free and are better than Norton, won't hog your system either. Have you got a firewall?

Thanks Ruu! Appreciate all the advice!

I removed and reinstalled Norton last night but still have same problems. You're right, it's rubbish! Think I'll go for one of the ones you suggest. Is one as good as the other or is one more user friendly for a non-tech type like me!?? :rolleyes:

I have Windows firewall but it's turned off. A guy in a computer repair shop told me it should be off when I have Norton. (??) Should I have it on with AVG Free or Anti-Vir???

Best turn on Windows Firewall to be safe (perhaps Norton update wouldn't work through the firewall or something), I have used AVG free for a while but I moved over to AntiVir because the former stopped updating for some reason. Anyway they are both very good and have a user friendly interface, there are a few others out there but AVG and Anti Vir are fairly common with boardies I believe, so just pick on. :)

Discovered last night that I installed new Norton without removing the old version first. Wonderful Norton website didn't bother to tell me that's what I should have done.

Anyway, yesterday I removed new Norton, then tried a System Restore which worked but it also removed my installation icon and then I tied meself and the PC up in knots so "got a man in" (!) to fix it! It's all turning out to be a very expensive adventure in virus protection.

Am still getting a "memory could not be read" on shutdown but "the man" is coming back today to see if all is well so will have to quiz him.

Also got a reply from Symantac support saying I should "perform a clean boot and check for the issue" :confused:

Do I need to buy a brand new sooper dooper PC???!!!! :D

Is there any file associated with the 'memory can not be read' message? Like explorer.exe Application error, for example.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    Is there any file associated with the 'memory can not be read' message? Like explorer.exe Application error, for example.

The only thing was the ccSvcHst.exe. But it's kinda allright again now! Happens only sometimes and PC repairman said that it's o.k.

My new problem is that now my printer has disappeared and can't reinstall it as I'm getting "Print spooler service not running"

Tried to start it but getting "Could not start print spooler on local computer. Error 1068. The dependency service or group failed to start" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then Clearwire decided to go on the blink so that was the end of my trying to solve the problem online. Think I'll have to ring Computer Doctor again first thing tuesday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's one of the problems with windows, some registry corruption problems are almost impossible to solve even if you install over the top. ( a clean install should almost always work unless you have HW problems ). Then again it might just be a windows annoyance - in control panel - admin tools - services - in to the serivce and check the name of the dependencies.

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    If the Print Spooler service is not operational, or you want to make certain there are no printer driver remnants, either follow the instructions below or use cleanspl.exe from the Windows 2000, XP or 2003 Resource Kit (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en). cleanspl.exe from the Windows 2003 Resource Kit tools will work on Windows XP.

cleanspl.exe does a very thorough job of cleaning up the print spooler stuff, but it does not remove the spooler service dependency on the Lexmark service (see special information about Lexmark printer drivers).
    Might be an idea to go through that page and maybe even post the printer model :)

More on the lexmark http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Why_does_'Error_1068_The_Dependency_Service_or_Group_Failed_To_Start'_appear_when_starting_the_remote_access_auto_connection_manager_in_Windows_XP
    * There is another cuase for this error. If you have ever had a lexmark printer driver (which may also have been installed with a non-Lexmark printer, like a Dell) then you will find a small program called LexBce. This is usually a service and can be found under Control Panel->Services. LexBce needs to also be running before Print Spooler will run. I hopethis helps someone else. It tooks me hours to resolve this problem :-)

* Guys there is a simple answer if your looking out for Lexmark printer causing these issues, do START > RUN >Services.msc , thn Open Print Spooler, Restart the service n keep the startup type as Automatic, if u still get the error msg, thn chk the dependencies tab n thn chk for the services under it, and thn enable services namely, "Remote Procedure Call" Fax "LexBce Server",
    It's like windows 3.11 and HP print manager again.

Thanks for that!

I came across that Bruce Sanderson website yesterday but was a bit daunted by it all as I got in such a mess trying to uninstall Norton. :o
    Plus there's no printer in "Printers and Faxes" for me to delete!

Anyway, it's a new HP all-in-one.

Do you think it would fix it if I remove all the HP bits in Add or Remove Programes and reinstall it???

I don't want to make things any worse if I have to get the expert to come back to look at it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mick25

Another free virus program that works just as good as avg is avast http://www.avast.com I know cuz I've used both avg and avast but liked avast better for some reason right now I'm using NIS 2007 :(

Thanks a million to all for your advice! :) Problems now resolved one way or another!

And Capt'nMidnight, I followed your advice and used the cleanspl.exe and it worked!!!

I can now merrily print away once I get some more ink!!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sudzs wrote:
    And Capt'nMidnight, I followed your advice and used the cleanspl.exe and it worked!!!
    :)
    I can now merrily print away once I get some more ink!!! :rolleyes:
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20061102.p.InkRefilSet
    Ink Refil Set

* Suitable for Hewlett Packard, Lexmark and Dell ink jet printers
    * Includes instructions and refill tools
    * Price per set
    € 2.49

Advertisement