Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.NET hosting

Options
  • 24-10-2006 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Im looking for some .NET hosting where i can have a DB aswell. The SQL server options seem pricey.

How well does mySQL work with .NET, what about stored procedures, can i still use them?

I was looking at hosting 365 and the basic windows package seems like what i need and its cheap

Does anyone know any other hosting offers where i can run .NET 2.0 and have a SQL Server DB for a decent price ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had an issue (non-Irish host vanished) with a fairly large site a few months back (Classic ASP & MS SQL) and blacknight were very good to me both from a support and a cost POV!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks for the replys

But what about mySQL with .NET, does it work ? can i still use stored procedures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

.NET will work with MySQL. I cant say for sure but I dont believe you can use stored procedures in MySQL. A quick google should answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

.NET will work with MySQL. I cant say for sure but I dont believe you can use stored procedures in MySQL. A quick google should answer your question.

I think only the latest versions of MySQL support stored procedures. I was quite surprised to find that such a hyped database didn't support this for quite some time.

I think you use "OdbcConnection" for connecting to a MySQL database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

AFAIK stored procedures is only available with MySQL 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What Eoin and Michele just said :) MS SQL is 'reasonably' affordable, most hosting companies will include an MS DB from about the 19 euro per month plan mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I use ASP with MS SQL databases in H365 all the time for my sites and client sites. It's not that expensive and I think H365 bundle the MSSQL space with their packages.

I also use blog software that has MySQL DB's and I pull records from those databases into ASP pages using a MySQL connection string. Haven't done it in ASP.NET but I'm sure it works the same. The sql statements are slightly different so watch out there - not many differences but a few.

And to reitterate... AFAIK support for stored procedures was only added to MySQL in the latest major version release.

Rgds,

Dave

p.s. Steve... how do you still have time to keep an eye out for hosting questions on this board?!?!? It's been 4/5 years since you recruited my business here! Ya think you'd have enough to be doing with that empire your building :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

DJB wrote:
    p.s. Steve... how do you still have time to keep an eye out for hosting questions on this board?!?!? It's been 4/5 years since you recruited my business here! Ya think you'd have enough to be doing with that empire your building :D:D:D

Thanks Dave :) Always time to keep an eye on things :)

Advertisement