Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British & Irish Summer Time (BAIST)

Options
  • 24-10-2006 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Do you see Irish time as part of british time, or are you as digusted as me by the term "British Summer Time" (BST).
    please discuss.

I have started this political 'tongue in cheek' thread to show-up the farcical nature of the arguement surrounding all the hot air over the geographical term 'British Isles' which some people in Ireland think should be re-named the British & Irish isles?

No doubt (BST) which ends at the end of this month should be changed to (BAIST) or British & Irish Summer Time so that we can achieve 'Real time' independence as well Geographical independence & Political independence ;)

Anyone like to kick off ........................

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I think the whole thing is a joke and we should just stick to UTC (rather than GMT:rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

yeah, it should be the BAIST alright.

we should do away with the daylight saving altogether tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 irishlordknight

Do we really need to change our clocks at all?

Or should we realing them with European time?

Whilst were at it do you type in English? American English? or should we start calling it Irish English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ArthurF wrote:
    Do you see Irish time as part of british time, or are you as digusted as me by the term "British Summer Time" (BST).
    please discuss.

Discuss what exactly? How does BST disgust you? (how does a timing system disgust someone?)

Our time system is called "Irish Standard Time", or simply "Standard Time", and we have been using it for quite a while now.

It has very little to do with BST beyond that fact that is is a daylight savings time system. Before 1968 we actually based our base time on Contiental Europe Time (CET), but with the 1971 time act we based our base time on GMT time.

Do you have some major objection to using GMT time? Should we move our timing base back to CET?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Irish Standard Time? That would be this time in 1974?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ArthurF wrote:
    or are you as digusted as me by the term "British Summer Time" (BST).

'cording to Wikipedia, BST, IST and WEST are all the same things.

That would be British Summer Time, Irish Summer Time, and Western European Summer Time.

timeanddate.com would seem to agree on IST.

CEST (Central European Summer Time) and EEST (Eastern European Summer Time) are effectively also the same system, in that they adjust their clocks forward and back an hour when we do, like we do.

So no, I'm not disgusted by the term British Summer Time at all...at least no more than by "Irish Summer Time", rather than both being abandoned and WEST adopted.

You may be better off directing your disgust at whoever is erroneously suggesting BST is used in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's just plain old GMT to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ArthurF was being ironic fellas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement