Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any market for Left-hand drive cars?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Howdi

I've just moved back from Holland and I've brought my Citroen Picasso car with me. Its a left-hand drive and I need it to get round the country while I am re-locating. Its taxed and insured until Spring 2007.

I am wondering what are my chances of selling the car in Ireland next year when its surplus to our needs? I am thinking of the new EU nationals in Ireland. Or will I have to return to Holland to offload it?

I was told by the Revenue that Motor Tax for left-hand drives are actually cheaper than right-hand drive. Mental or fact ?
    I have a meeting with them next week for advice on my options.

Cheerio

j8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds mental. If it were a Bmw or suchlike the UK would be good as many
    peeps have second homes in France and there is now a strong LHD market esp in south of England if selling something a bit posh. Sadly a Picasso dont fit the profile.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would say it would be almost impossible to sell a LHD Picaso here. There are plenty of cheapish RHD Picasos on the second hand market here, I honestly could not see a reason for someone wanting a LHD version even if there is some sort of reduced motor tax rate.

If you are only keeping it for a year anyway why not get rid of it in Holland now and buy something cheap over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Jail8ird wrote:
    I was told by the Revenue that Motor Tax for left-hand drives are actually cheaper than right-hand drive. Mental or fact ?
    I have a meeting with them next week for advice on my options.
    VRT is cheaper for LHD cars, as it's charged on the basis of the value of the car here. Road tax is the same for LHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Maybe you should hold onto it. Seeing as the country has now gone to Kilometres and that we are now part of the EU, maybe we may soon be driving on the right. On the other hand, you could try selling your car to the Japanese as all their new imported foreign cars are left hand drive..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How much of a loading do LHD cars attract?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Bond-007 wrote:
    How much of a loading do LHD cars attract?
    It can fit about 12 of those re-usable Superquinn bags in the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

If you look at the Cars Wanted section of the Buy and Sell there are always a few ads looking for Left Hand Drive Cars.

See the link Below

http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?m=12&s=33&g=00713&o=0

Advertisement