Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Armour

Options
  • 24-10-2006 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

Has anyone ever used under armour gear when running? I was thinking of getting a long sleeved top for the winter but wanted to know if anyone runs in one and what are they like to run in?

Because they are tight fitting are they too restrictive for running? Are they only for really cold weather or would they be good for a normal irish winter?

Any advice appreciated :D

Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'm also interested in these, like the Nike Pro ones, Redfraggle?

If anyone wears one and reccommends them please say so here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Funny you should ask as just bought one last Saturday week. Had to get the large boys size which is snug but not overly so.

Went for a run in it a few nights ago. Its fantastic. Really comfy, wicks sweat away really quickly and you don't feel cold in it. Washes out really well in a 30 deg wash and is dry within a day.

Gets the thumbs up from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Hey Hardy,

Which one did you buy? I was also looking at the Nike ones and can't decide which ones are best. I was looking at getting a long sleeve one but thought that may be too much for an Irish winter???

Can you post a link of the one you bought? Also did you wear anything with it or just ran with it on its own?

Finally you got large boys - what size do you normally get in mens sizes? Does it equate to a medium??

Thanks,
    Red:D :D:D

Hi Red Fraggle, I got the long sleeved top. I can't find it on line when I looked up the cantebury site. However its just the bog standard under armour top, It doesn't have any labels on it which make it lovely for running so nothing rubs.

I don't find the long sleeve one too much at all. In fact I use it as an undershirt to another long sleeved top that I have.

However to quantify-I often go running around 8 or 9 at night when its FREEZING. I've only started using the top in the last week and only double layered it in the last week as the weather has gotten colder. I'm also quite a cold creature so do need lots of layers. However I have to admit it really is so,so comfortable as an undershirt.

I don't actually take men's sizes-I'm a 7 and 1/2 stone girl so hence even the medium boys fitted quiet well, apart from the chest of course. I realised I had to go up a size when both my boyfriend and the shop assistant started leering at me when I pranced out in the medium boys shirt! Quite disconcerting to see your own boyfriend leer I must say....:D

Hey Hardy,

Woops - I just automatically thought guy when I saw your name.... sorry:confused: Next time I will be a little more careful ;)

Anyway back to business. I'm ordering one online today along with loads of other gear from the states so hopefully I will get it before it gets really cold... As it stands I just wear a long sleeve top on its own but I may need something a bit warmer as the winter progresses.

In relation to your experience in the shop you have created quite a funny mental image for me (2 guys drooling as a girl "prances around in boys clothes"....) It just doesn't seem right... If it was the other way around there would be serious questions asked..... ;)

Anyway thanks for the feedback - by the sounds of what everyone has been saying these tops are well worth the investment :D

Red

• Advertisement

ha-ha... yes it would be a bit strange alright if the tables were reversed.. for a start hell would have to freeze over before I got my boyfriend into women's clothes-for which fact I'm very grateful ha-ha!

What web site are you ordering the clothes from? Would interested to hear your feedback on it as am currently bankrupting myself trying to kit out my wardrobe in irish shops, plus theres not a massive amount of variety.

Hey Hardy,

There's a really good website from the states that I'm using for this order. You can check it out on www.eastbay.com

They have a lot of geat stuff from UA, Asics, Nike, New Balance etc. They cover runners, clothing, accessories etc. The problem with all US sites is the postage costs. With this one there is an initial $30 charge then every additional product ordered costs an additional $1.99. What you should try and do is get a few of your friends to go in with you on the deal and ye can split the postage costs.

I'm doing it with a few friends and I'm buying asics racing flats, athletic tops, shorts, gear bag as well as the UA stuff - Overall including the postage costs it works out very cheap. You just have to make sure you know your sizes before ordering (Don't go ordering boys clothing this time.... stick to your own :D )

Best of luck,
    Red

Thanks Red,

To be honest would love to be able to avoid buying little boys clothes (that sounds a bit sick) but have desperate trouble trying to find stuff that fits. Ran the women's mini-marathon in a shorts/t-shirt combo for ages 11-12 and currently wearing tracksuits from the kids departments, same for some dresses and leggings!

Its pretty embarressing to be found skulking around the kids section looking forward clothes, its not too bad when I'm just browsing as it looks like I'm shopping for kids, its only when I hold the clothes up to me that I get funny looks! Just dreading the day when I come face to face with some 10 year old wearing the same stuff as me, its practically inevitable and will only happen when theres 1,000 people around to witness my mortification!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Redfraggle wrote:
    Hey Hardy,

There's a really good website from the states that I'm using for this order. You can check it out on www.eastbay.com

They have a lot of geat stuff from UA, Asics, Nike, New Balance etc. They cover runners, clothing, accessories etc. The problem with all US sites is the postage costs. With this one there is an initial $30 charge then every additional product ordered costs an additional $1.99. What you should try and do is get a few of your friends to go in with you on the deal and ye can split the postage costs.

I'm doing it with a few friends and I'm buying asics racing flats, athletic tops, shorts, gear bag as well as the UA stuff - Overall including the postage costs it works out very cheap. You just have to make sure you know your sizes before ordering (Don't go ordering boys clothing this time.... stick to your own :D )

Best of luck,
    Red

On Esatbay becareful about hidden charges. My friend got a pair of Nike spikes and they were delivered to a warehouse in Blanchardstown and he wasn't able to get them unless he paid 20 quid or something extra taxes. They said about it happening on all the Nike gear, oters got Adidas spikes and no such problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have had Nike Pro tops for over a year now - sleeveless, short sleeves and long sleeves.
    They are very thin (but not delicate) and quite snug. They keep you warm by being snug and this also helps move sweat to the outside of the garment so as not to chill you. The restriction is minimal.
    As they are snug, they will highlight any embarassing bulges. ;)

During the summer the sleeveless was great for running or cycling. On Wednesday morning (a tiny bit cooler than other days) I wore a windproof gilet to keep my chest warm.
    For my winter cycling or running I will move to the long sleeved shirt as a base layer under a windproof jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Seanmcf

Hi Guys,
    I've been using Armourfit clothing for a while now both during the summer and winter. There are two different versions for either hot or cold weather and especially during cold weather I can't survive on my bike or when running without it to keep me warm. There is also womens specific tops in womens sizes Hardy and they've just released a new series of kit that has been designed by female marathon runners.
    I've used underarmour in the past and they are very similar.
    You can read more about it here if you like: http://www.irishfit.eu/sportsapparel.htm

I quite like tight clothing while running as it doesn't ever get caught on anything and it helps hold everything in. :D

Sean

Advertisement