Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Courier Insurance Madness

Options
  • 24-10-2006 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've just been ringing around to get quotes on a commercial courier van and it's proving quite difficult. Nobody will give me a quote since I'll be carrying other people's goods. I got one quote of O'Reilly and Cullen and it was €4500 for TPFT and €4800 for fully comp! That's with 3 years NCB, no penalty points and everything like that. This is compared to some guy I know (21 years old, I'm 22) who got commercial insurance on a van for about €400!

I'm waiting to hear back from my current insurer and apparantly they will have to quote me if I get two letters of refusal from other companies. I've already been refused based on my age not being over 25 (which the Insurance Federation said they can't do) and others because they don't insure courier vans.

Is it possible to get insured from a UK or European company and can anyone recommend anyone who insures couriers for a good price? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cormie wrote:
    That's with 3 years NCB,
    3 year's NCB on a non-commercial policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah non commercial but apparantly it's transferable if I sell my car!

I was just onto the insurance federation again to see if there was any way out, and there's not. And I used a take-away (pizza or whatever) delivery guy as an example and they actually need courier insurance too, or an upgrade to their policy allowing hire and reward. I'd guess 99% of delivery drivers for chinese take-aways don't have this and are therefore driving on void policies! Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Does the insurance cover the goods as well ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

cormie wrote:
    . I've already been refused based on my age not being over 25 (which the Insurance Federation said they can't do)

This is against the Equal Status Act. You can have them on this if you get the refusal in writing. If you win your case you can be awarded up to €6000. I know several people who took a case and the insurance company settled out of court. Contact www.equality.ie for more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I thought under 25's was in respect of car insurance only?? Haulage insurance (which is what you are doing) can be declined as not every company will do this, therefore you do not have a case for discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Keith C wrote:
    I thought under 25's was in respect of car insurance only?? Haulage insurance (which is what you are doing) can be declined as not every company will do this, therefore you do not have a case for discrimination
    You have a case if they descriminate based on your age, i.e. they say that the only offer that service to over 25 year olds. No company selling ANY service (with the exception of publicians) can refuse to provide their service to a person based on their age (or sex,religion, race, etc etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ryaner77

Get a copy of your mates policy, ring that company and tell them you want the same one !!!

If your looking for different insurance than his than it's not fair to compare your two quotes to his one.

That's a good idea, I may try that one, thanks:)

Thanks for the above replies too everyone!

Advertisement