Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problems (the house, that is)

Options
  • 24-10-2006 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    2 things.
    Had the builder in putting in an ensuite where a shower unit used to be. So new plumbing for toilet and sink. Pressure to sink taps very poor, but toilet fills up fine. Had a look at pipework in attic. Same pipe forks off to feed both toilet and cold water tap. So why the bad pressure from tap? Plumber reckons he needs to install a pump for 900 quid !!! (which wont be happening)

Also plumber in today to replace some valves on some rads. Rang me to tell me one of the rads upstairs (brand new rad, he only put in in 2 weeks ago)burst, and black water all over one of the bedroom curtains. He took it to cleaners, but they said it was ruined. Offered to pay for replacements. Wife got home and rang me, said the carpet is stained also. What should I do? If I claim off my insurance, I have to pay first 250 myself.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm no plumber, but if the pressure to the toilet is OK then maybe there is a problem with the tap or a blockage of some sort in the pipe to the tap.

If the carpet is stained and can't be cleaned then as the plumber has offered to pay for replacement curtains then he's kinda set a precedence to pay for the carpet too.

Incidentally, if its thermostatic rad valves that you have had fitted, you should consider raising the curtains above the valves. Otherwise, once the area behind the curtains is hot enough the valve will close, and the rest of the room may still be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

garlad wrote:
    Plumber reckons he needs to install a pump for 900 quid !!! (which wont be happening)
    Ouch, serious rip-city there. A friend of a friend of a friend is a plumber so he's always on the level with me with prices. I had a similar problem at ground level with the gas boiler in the house and he quoted me €450 for an attic pump (which he said was expensive!).

He didn't recommend me getting the pump (I guess it's just another mechanical thing that can/will break down) and went instead with a new cold-water feed, which wouldn't really suit your situation.

Could the width of pipes installed be your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Is it upstairs or ground floor? Water pressure up stairs is usually a bit lower than downstairs. What kind of shower did you have removed (pumped or mixer etc)and what was the water pressure like on it? A new pump can cost €300 for a cheap one to €700 for a good Monsoon pump. Is there any room in your attic to raise the tank a few feet? this would normally increase the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

DublinWriter, pipe does narrow slightly. Could this be an issue? Although toilet seems fine.
    stapeler, its upstairs. Pump was a standard no pump electric shower. Got a new electric pump shower installed which works fine. Pressure to toilet fine also. And pressure to other bathroom upstairs fine too. Suppose I could look at raising the tank, but I just thought that seeing as I dont have any pressure issues elsewhere, I shouldnt need to raise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MonaLisa

Hi all,
    I am not sure if anyone one of you can help me with this but here it goes,

I am changing some of the Pluming in the house and I have been quoted 5583.33 euro for the labour and material. These are what they are changing ... :
    409.50 (bath with shower mixer)
    448.50 1.5 Bar monssom Pump)
    200.00 Corner basin
    195.00 for 3 ixer taps for 3 sinks
    68.25 adhesive Grout and seals....
    75.00 wooden bath panel.
    71.50 Mixer for Kitchen
    90.00 Chrom Riser Rail kit
    467.00 pipe work Fittings traps sealants

664.09 VAT
    2894.31 Labour ( I wish I was a plumber)

Guys is this a Normal Price?
    Am I being ripped off?

Also I have been told this is a two weeks Job!

Would be happy to hear your suggestions.
    Many Thanks,
    Mona

• Advertisement
Advertisement