Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash near Daingean, Offaly Sunday night... but listen to this

Options
  • 24-10-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

On the way home Sunday night, back to Daingean with the future missus. Coming out of Balinagar on the way to Daingean, there was a hold up. Ahead, at the end of an almost 1km long straight stretch over some bog between the 2 villages (Daingean end) was the scene of an accident. Eventually, we were able to pass. The cars involved looking like a red Hyundai Accent, a green Golf, and a blue Corsa (could be wrong on the blue and red cars). The Corsa and Golf were written off, even half the roof of the Golf was removed (presumed cut by the fire brigade).

My missus was in a bit of a state, because she gets frightened when she sees a bad accident, and even more so in an area where we know people, bothing living in, and visiting, the area. She thought, considering where the accident was, that it might have been a relation of a friend of hers at work.

Well, yesterday at work, it turns out she was right. A family were coming home, coming from the Ballinagar direction. Husband, wife, and at least 2 kids. They had well indicated, and stopped, to make the turn into their house which is one of the first at the Daingean end of said long straight stretch of road.

When from waayy back down the queue behind them, a car came racing up, in hasty overtaking mode, on the opposite side of the road. BUT, it was on a collision course for oncoming traffice which the family car had stopped to wait and let pass before turning in.

This speeding car, revved to high heaven, probably aiming to miss the oncoming car and get back into his proper side of the road, didn't make it at the last 2 seconds - BAMM - hit the oncoming car while trying to swerve away from it, and into the family car. A nice little pile-up.

Luckily, no one was killed. All that was sustained were a few broken ribs, shock for the kids, and some bruising. All 3 cars were written off, the Corsa and the Golf the worst.

It turns out that the guy with the mad maneouvre was driving a stolen car from (I think) Tullamore, and was desperate to get on with his journey. He was arrested.

Some luck...

In my opinion (as mentioned in another thread here), if he had killed anyone, then he should be brought up on a murder, not a manslaughter, charge, as he is fully knowledgeable of his actions.

Still, I am glad it won't come to that debate with this crash.

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Seanie M wrote:
    In my opinion (as mentioned in another thread here), if he had killed anyone, then he should be brought up on a murder, not a manslaughter, charge, as he is fully knowledgeable of his actions.
    Without wanting in any way to take away from the seriousness of what the driver did, it simply wouldn't have been murder had someone died. A charge of murder would be thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There was a similar story a while back with a guy who overtook a queue of cars and smashed into a car carrying a pregnant woman who lost the baby. Not sure if he was ever caught. The car had an NI reg on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Seanie M wrote:
    It turns out that the guy with the mad maneouvre was driving a stolen car from (I think) Tullamore, and was desperate to get on with his journey. He was arrested.

Some luck...

Still, I am glad it won't come to that debate with this crash.

Seanie.

I know that stretch of road well, in fact i was riding on it last sunday about 5.30pm. Was the driver of the stolen car from tullamore or stole the car in tullamore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Right now I'd be thankful no-one was killed. But I think the guy in the stolen car should be hung from his bollix personally, putting so many lives in danger. I'd like it to be murder he'd be done for had someone died, but he didn't go with the intention of killing someone so only manslaughter. Thankfully it didn't come to that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

thank god no one was hurt. i live in an accident black spot near a bad turnoff on a main road like this. more often than not, i drive up to the next lefthander and double back when safe. i have a healthy distrust of other drivers abilities and observation.
    neighbours of mine were nearly killed at this turnoff a few years ago by stolen car. car thief was killed.
    stealing a car should be punishable by death IMO but crashing violently, he should be given ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Was the driver of the stolen car from tullamore or stole the car in tullamore?

Unsure, could have been both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Squirrel wrote:
    Right now I'd be thankful no-one was killed. But I think the guy in the stolen car should be hung from his bollix personally, putting so many lives in danger. I'd like it to be murder he'd be done for had someone died, but he didn't go with the intention of killing someone so only manslaughter. Thankfully it didn't come to that

AFAIR in parts of the US driving the stolen car would be justification for a murder charge under the law that causing someone's death while committing a serious crime is automatically charged as murder.

Sounds like a law that should be brought in here particularly for car thiefs and joyriders, would be good for dealing with drink drivers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They never charge with murder when a motor vehicle is involved, always death by dangerous driving which carries a max 10 year sentance. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Anan1 wrote:
    Without wanting in any way to take away from the seriousness of what the driver did, it simply wouldn't have been murder had someone died. A charge of murder would be thrown out.
    He never said it would be murder charges - he said it SHOULD be.

Advertisement