Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

d link wireless asdl router

Options
  • 24-10-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right forum but it seems as good a place as any to start. I purchased a dell laptop today and with it came the router named above. Now one would think this would be a simple process sorting this out however here begins the problem. What i need to do is set the router up to my g5 mac but for some reason it doesnt seem to be working. Now this could be my fault or god knows what. I am reasonably adequate at this sort of thing that is when it goes right. What i am really wondering is does it matter that this router is an asdl one or is there any other reason its not working. I want to leave it connected to the mac and use the dell around the house if that is possible

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sorry for the short reply but I'm heading out of the office. If I remember when I get home, I'll add a bit.

It's an ADSL router. This will ONLY work as a router if you have DSL. You cannot use this with Cable or Wireless [IBB, Clearwire etc]

First things first, connect your DSL phone line to the router.
    You may have to browse to the admin page of the device. [consult router manual]
    You may have to alter some ppoe settings.

If you already have a DSL "modem", you can temp use your dlink as a switch.
    Just disable NAT, DHCP and other router functions.[consult router manual]
    Connect your modem to the router by CAT5. USB won't work.

Connect your Mac to another CAT5 port on the router. If DHCP is setup, your MAC should just work.

For wireless, configure it with NO security on the router or laptop to start off with.
    When wireless is working, we can then add WPA, WPA, WEP security. Only one of them but in that order of preference. Just depends on what security both of your devices supports.

Sorry, have to run. Might be back on later, so post your results up and I'll see if I can do more.

WILL get more of a response in the Computer section. Mod maybe move?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

really appreciate the prompt reply irish. Yeah looks like I have a problem so as I have FWI which is a local, to Tipperary, wireless provider. No wonder it was proving a bit like round pegs and square holes. Can i get such a thing for a wireless set up do you know, if not I can post in the computer section. Again thanks a mill , i was really starting to lose the plot with both myself and the now innocent router!

Mike

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What model number is the dlink?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

if you have a modem with eithernet output you could connect the dlink to it with a crossover cable and use the dlink for wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

cheers guys,

the dlink is dsl-g624t, says wireless adsl2+ router on there too. The set up I have is as follows, sorry if this sounds like I am more used to using crayons, wireless broadband provided by local company, to big white A4 size box on chimney, long cable coming through house connected to a mouse size little box. On that is wrote cpe and pc. The long cable is going into the cpe and the ethernet from the pc outlet to my ethernet port on my mac. What I had hoped to do was leave the bb in the G5 mac and use the dell around the house. In reality the dell is more for use for my two younger brothers as I am only staying here , while my own house is being built. Not sure if its possible to do what I want, esp as the dlink install disc didnt seem to be mac compatible. But as per my description above, it looks more like I should stick to crayons!

Appreciate the help again,

Mike

• Advertisement

cheers guys,

the dlink is dsl-g624t, says wireless adsl2+ router on there too. The set up I have is as follows, sorry if this sounds like I am more used to using crayons, wireless broadband provided by local company, to big white A4 size box on chimney, long cable coming through house connected to a mouse size little box. On that is wrote cpe and pc. The long cable is going into the cpe and the ethernet from the pc outlet to my ethernet port on my mac. What I had hoped to do was leave the bb in the G5 mac and use the dell around the house. In reality the dell is more for use for my two younger brothers as I am only staying here , while my own house is being built. Not sure if its possible to do what I want, esp as the dlink install disc didnt seem to be mac compatible. But as per my description above, it looks more like I should stick to crayons!

Appreciate the help again,

Mike

OK, now we are getting somewhere. My original post still stands [sorry I couldn't get back on last night]

You can't use the DLink as a router / nat / firewall etc. You can only use it as a switch. Your DLink has 4 ethernet ports on the back and a ADSL connector which looks almost identical to the four ethernets. Don't plug your CPE into the ADSL socket.

Plug your little mouse sized little box from the cocket labeld PC into any of your ethernet ports [NOT ADSL port] on the back of the DLink. Plug your Mac into another Ethernet port and [for the time being] plug your laptop into another ethernet port.

Unless you have changed it, the default IP address of your dlink is 192.168.1.1. One of your computers will have to be on this ip range to go any further. This is why I mentioned to get your DELL onto the network as I am unsure of how to do this with a MAC.

Go to a DOS prompt START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. When that opens, type in
    IPCONFIG
    and press enter. You should get something like this
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : blah blah
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

In the above text, 192.168.1.4 is what you are interested in. The first 3 segments MUST match up. For example, we know the default IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1 so your DELL must have an IP Address of 192.168.1.x where x can be any number. If we are ok so far, then skip the next section, otherwise continue.

If your IP Address is not in the 192.168.1.x range do this to make it so.
    START -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. If this opens up another menu, chose Local Area Network. If there is no further menu then just click Network Connections. A window will open and you can double click Local Area Connection [LAN].
    • In the LAN window, click on the properties button.
    • From the list, select "Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]" and choose the properties button again.
    • Select the "Use the following IP Address" option
    • For IP address, enter 192.168.1.13
    • For subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0 although this may be auto entered for you
    • For Default Gateway enter 192.168.1.1 [the ip address of your router]
    • For the moment ignore every other setting and click OK all the way out until all of those network windows are closed.
    Once this is done you should be able to PING your router. Open a command prompt like we did above. Type PING 192.168.1.1

You should see something like this
    Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

NOT LIKE THIS
    Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

If all is well [and stop me if it isn't :)] Open your browser and enter in the address
    You will be asked for a username and password. The default username is admin and the default password is admin.

Now we are going to follow SOME [not all] of the instructions in this manual. This will turn off NAT and firewall. As far as I know, they are useless to you on this device unless you are using it as a router. See page two where it shows how to turn off NAT and the firewall. Only do these two things.

now we switch to this manual. Jump to page 57 and disable DHCP. If your little mouse sized box doesn't do dhcp, we can always turn this back on later.

Now, at this stage if EVERYTHING went well, your DELL computer will have internet access through the network cable connected to the DLink.

If it does, and ONLY if it does, we can change your DELL network setting back to "Obtain IP Address Automatically" Just follow the Network Connections instructions above and choose this option instead of "Use THIS ip address". Also make sure that you are "obtaining DNS from the server automatically".

Once your MAC is configured to obtain an auto IP you should be all set except for the Wireless option for the DELL. Need to take a break. Will write up the wireless stuff later today unless someone gets there first.

Just one thing I meant to point out above. You MIGHT be better off selling that DLink and purchasing one that just fits right in. You need a router with a WAN interface not a [A]DSL one.

Something lwith a product code starting with DI and not DSL would do the job perfectly. I'm not 100% sure if your provider box does ANY nat or firewall on the system they gave you. If they don't the instructions I gave you could leave you open to attack on your connection. Having said that, you all ready could be.

Ok, Just to bring everyone up to speed. Through a few PM's, Tipperarymike has told me that he is now wired up and wirelessed up to the router and full internet connectivity. There is no other configuration to add so it's just what's above.

Now, the problem Tipperarymike has is that although his wireless internet is working, there is absolutely no security enabled.

I'll got down some notes, but TippMike, I also need to know which security protocols your computers are capable of. I would prefare to use one of these [in order of preference] WPA2, WPA, WEP. WPA is also known ad WPA-PSK.

Right, first thing to do is make sure that your DELL is connected by cable to the router, not wireless.

We will start with this manual. Turn to page 24.
    • Enable AP should already be checked, leave this on.
    • SSID : You can call this ANYTHING you want. Just keep a note of it.
    • Channel : Before you set this, have a look at "Finding close wireless networks below" to find out what channels are available.
    • Security : If your DELL supports WPA, then choose WPA, otherwise choose WEP. WPA is preferred. Again, see below on how to set this up on your DELL.
    Now turn to page 28 in the manual. WPA Security.
    We want to choose WPA String. Enter any bit of text [random or otherwise] into this box. The longer the text, the better. Once entered, write it down for later. Click APPLY.

The reason I want your DELL connected by cable and not wireless, is at this point, if you were on wireless you would get disconnected because we have not setup wireless security on your conputer yet, only the router.

Finding close wireless networks
    To finish off the router side of things for the moment, we want to see if there are any other wireless networks close by. If there are, we need to choose a channel that is not in use. If we don't do this, you could notice a significant speed decrease and instability.

I'm going to finish this later. Don't have much time at the moment [work committments], but I'll come back later and finish this off. Just want to save it here so I don't lose it. If anyone else can finish this off before I come back, fair play.

To Do
    • Find local AP's to find free channel
    • Setup WPA security on the DELL
    • Hide SSID
    • MAC Filtering

IrishTLR wrote:
    I'm going to finish this later. Don't have much time at the moment [work committments], but I'll come back later and finish this off. Just want to save it here so I don't lose it. If anyone else can finish this off before I come back, fair play.

To Do
    • Find local AP's to find free channel
    • Setup WPA security on the DELL
    • Hide SSID
    • MAC Filtering

Hi Tipperarymike,

Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one. Life got in the way for a few days then I forgot. Do you still need a hand setting up security? If so, is your setup the same as I left it or have you made any changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

D Link DI-604 is the router you need

• Advertisement

JohnnieM wrote:
    D Link DI-604 is the router you need

That is a nice router.

Advertisement