Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woah! Touch the radiator and PC and I get a shock!

Options
  • 24-10-2006 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting at my living room table on the laptop and I reached over to see if the radiator had come on and Fzzz, I got a small electrical shock! If I touch the radiator and the laptop at the same time it happens again so I'm ruling out static. What's going on? It's only a small shock but are there any possible dangers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tidied up and moved from AH, frob. The AH crew wouldn't have the cranial capacity to answer your question.:) Perhaps a humidier or ionizer might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Ruu wrote:
    Tidied up and moved from AH, frob. The AH crew wouldn't have the cranial capacity to answer your question.:) Perhaps a humidier or ionizer might work.

Fair enough Ruu. I wonder how many threads can claim the distinction of having been moved from AH to DIY!? Not many I reckon!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is the shock persistent, or do you only get it when you do the initial touch (like a snap)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Red Alert wrote:
    Is the shock persistent, or do you only get it when you do the initial touch (like a snap)?
    I haven't held onto it for a long time, but it's definitely more than a single snap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm going to guess that it's the difference in voltage between the earth in your laptop and the earth connected to the radiator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe put a direct earth to the radiator. It should be earthed already though. Get a single wire and connect you laptop casing to the radiator - that should stop it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

where on the laptop are you touching. mine has no exposed metal parts. try touching the rad on its own.

If there is a potential difference between the radiator and the laptop earth (IS the laptop earthed, is it connected via a three core mains cable?) then it's best to get the earthing in the house checked. If properly installed there should be no potential differences between any exposed metal fittings that may provide a path to earth (plumbing etc).

Could be a faulty transformer on the laptop power supply.

linking the laptop case to the radiator may trip the house RCD if the transformer is faulty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

He may be running from the battery which could explain the shock...

Yep.. especially if he is wearing nylon clothes and rubber slippers!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

do u live on a farm frobisher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭secman

Its only static, I get it all the time, you can buy anti static sprays.

Advertisement