Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic / Industrial design courses

Options
  • 24-10-2006 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I want to do a course in Graphic or Industrial design next year. I would like to do it in England, prefereably Manchester. I have no artistic background, but I am fairly creative, just need to develop my drawing skills. (reading Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain at the moment).

I am taking a night course in Art Portfolio Preparation at the moment. Has anyone done a graphic design course abroad that they could reccommend? I don't really want to go to the National Academy of Art and Design because I don't want to live in Dublin.

I already have a Degree in software engineering and I am told I may be exempt from the first year - but I think I might need the exposure.

If anyone can advise me here career / course-wise, I'd appreciate it. I contacted my old college career councillor, but shes out sick at the moment.

Regards,
    Merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Presumably you're aware of the Industrial Design course run jointly by UL/NCAD? Also Limerick school (or is it college) of art is a very well respoected 3rd level institution, so it might be possible that you can find somewhere in the area who can offer assistance with portfolio and/or illustration/rendering development.

Notwithstanding the fact you've interest to live in Dublin, shouldn't stop you from speaking to the NCAD lecturers, I'm sure they'd be willing to offer advice and assistance might also give you a steer re UK.

Have you tried contacting the Design Council (UK)?

Rendering would be a very important aspect to industrial design, afterall how will you visually communicate your idea? You don't need to be a master but clarity would be expected.

Good Luck with the future studies.

Advertisement