Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shure SM57 mic. Is it as good as its reviews? Opinions plz.

• 24-10-2006 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking at getting this mic as ive heard so much great things about it but I need to know if it really is suitable for my needs. My main purpose is recording instruments (mostly guitar amp) but id like it to handle vocals well too. Now i am planning to exchange my current Sennheiser e835 (which i just bought and dont like) for a 57, my question is, Is it worth it (compared to the 835) considering my needs? The guy at the guitar shop (who i got the 835 off) doesnt recommend the SM57, he says they deteriate... I find that hard to believe after seeing all those excellent reviews and ratings... So do you recommend this mic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Hi, I am looking at getting this mic as ive heard so much great things about it but I need to know if it really is suitable for my needs. My main purpose is recording instruments (mostly guitar amp) but id like it to handle vocals well too. Now i am planning to exchange my current Sennheiser e835 (which i just bought and dont like) for a 57, my question is, Is it worth it (compared to the 835) considering my needs? The guy at the guitar shop (who i got the 835 off) doesnt recommend the SM57, he says they deteriate... I find that hard to believe after seeing all those excellent reviews and ratings... So do you recommend this mic?
    They're a staple of the music industry, I've never heard of them deteriorating, we use them all the time in the studio. There are better mics, there are worse mics, they do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

They deteriorate? Now that's the first time I've ever heard that said of a SM57! I guess that like all equipment time will take its toll, but as mics go it's hard to find as solid and releable a work horse as a 57. I've seen one be used to drive a nail into a stage set and then used for the gig. I'd say just go for it but perhaps the slightlier dearer big brother, the SM58, might be a little better for you. It's the same mic but has a built in wind/pop sheild/grille and rolls off the bass at something like 150-200hz which means that it handles up close vocals that little bit tidier than the 57. Either way, they are both great mics and even studios with million euro budgets will always have several of them knocking around. And if you need a final endorsement, Bono has used a SM 58 on lots of vocal recordings on U2 records down the years. Go buy one, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

I forgot, he also said that sm57's quality has dropped over the yrs.... but forget him if DoctorJ likes it im buying it:D Too bad he wont give a refund (the 835) so i could just buy the 57 in PerfectPitch tomorrow. Instead I have to wait a week for him to order it in... A well at least its right next store.
    Anyway thanks folks. Ill exchange the 835 right away. Anymore views on the 57 welcome.

I've also heard from a few different sources that they aren't as good now as they were a few years back although I haven't actually A/B'ed them myself. I'd say very few people have! From what I know the manufacturing has been moved a round a bit from Mexico to the East and that this naturally has an impact on the finished product. Don't let that stand in your way at all. For all you know the new ones are from a plant in India that will go on to be known as the best ones ever made. Forget all the nerdy stuff, these mics won't let you down.

frobisher wrote:
    I've also heard from a few different sources that they aren't as good now as they were a few years back although I haven't actually A/B'ed them myself. I'd say very few people have! From what I know the manufacturing has been moved a round a bit from Mexico to the East and that this naturally has an impact on the finished product. Don't let that stand in your way at all. For all you know the new ones are from a plant in India that will go on to be known as the best ones ever made. Forget all the nerdy stuff, these mics won't let you down.
    Okay well I dont like the thought of having to gamble here but I guess I can ask the guy in the shop where exactly he's ordering mine from and a bit about the manufacturer in general. I have heard horror stories about ppl ending up with mexican made ones (intentional i dont know) and sound terrible which makes me a bit nervous... Is there anyway I can find out where they are being manufactured? Im getting worried now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've been using SM58 mics and the wireless versions for ages and never a problem. I've had the same mics for years. If the SM58 is anything to go by, I reckon you'll be happy with the SM57.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

57 Ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Hendrix89 wrote:
    The guy at the guitar shop (who i got the 835 off) doesnt recommend the SM57, he says they deteriate

Where is this plonker working? Typical of the sh1t you have to put up with in music shops in dublin.
    :(

Where is this plonker working? Typical of the sh1t you have to put up with in music shops in dublin.
    Hah.. no in all fairness he's a knowledgeble guy. I guess it's just preference although it's obvious that the majority of positive ratings are way more than the few negetive one's. So just to clear things up and make sure you guys know exactly whats happening; Get rid of my Senn e835 for the SM57? Major benefit right? Okay.

Hendrix89 wrote:
    So just to clear things up and make sure you guys know exactly whats happening; Get rid of my Senn e835 for the SM57? Major benefit right? Okay.
    That's definitely a very good move. The only one that I might suggest that could be better is that you get a 58 instead of a 57. But either way you'll be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Hah.. no in all fairness he's a knowledgeble guy. I guess it's just preference although it's obvious that the majority of positive ratings are way more than the few negetive one's. So just to clear things up and make sure you guys know exactly whats happening; Get rid of my Senn e835 for the SM57? Major benefit right? Okay.

Making stuff up to support an arbitrary dislike doesn't seem all that knowledgable, tbh.

Funnily enough, I've always though the SM57 sounds a lot like an E835 on a vocal. A bit thin and nasal. If vocals are a factor I'd be inclined to suggest an SM58. I've always thought it does a better job as an instrument mic than the SM57 does as a vocal mic. :)

I already returned my e835 and the SM57 is ordered as of today. I think the 57 would suit me better than the 58 cause its rated as an instrument mic and instrumental recording is my primary focus. I have read also that its good for speech which will come in really useful for my Radio Production course. Thanks for your suggestion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

You'll want a pop shield if you're gonna be doing vocals with the 57.

That's interesting about the deterioration. I remember reading in a magazine an article on drum miking, and it mentioned in passing something like "...the snare is miked on top with an SM57 (always use a new, fresh one)", as if to suggest that they deteriorate over time. It's stuck in my head ever since.

You'll want a pop shield if you're gonna be doing vocals with the 57.

That's interesting about the deterioration. I remember reading in a magazine an article on drum miking, and it mentioned in passing something like "...the snare is miked on top with an SM57 (always use a new, fresh one)", as if to suggest that they deteriorate over time. It's stuck in my head ever since.
    Actually yeah whats the price on a decent pop-shield? Never had any experience with em before. I have heard they are ridiculously priced though:rolleyes:

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Actually yeah whats the price on a decent pop-shield? Never had any experience with em before. I have heard they are ridiculously priced though:rolleyes:
    I've never seen a pop sheild used on a 57! But why not, right? You'll find them at Thomann for €20.

frobisher wrote:
    I've never seen a pop sheild used on a 57! But why not, right? You'll find them at Thomann for €20.
    No i know I wont need one most of the time but if its needed for vocals it'll need one.... right? Price doesnt seem too bad.

See how you get on, maybe you're not a big popper. Some people are worse than others, that said it's usually a good idea. Have you seen what it's called at Thomann? It's a plop killer! Make's it sound like something you give to kids to stop diorehea!

Have you seen what it's called at Thomann? It's a plop killer! Make's it sound like something you give to kids to stop diorehea!
    LOL yeah I dont think any product on there is spelt with proper english:D

Yeah guys so I got the 57.... and its not working, I think... I dont have a proper preamp yet (will soon) or anything suitable for proper use but I decided to test it out anyway through this really old Maplin stereo-mixer I normally use (works with other mics) and when I tried a recording my amp no sound was picked up! Well you could just barely make it out..... And I had the levels and everything right up.... Mostly what I got was just faint hissing sounds (very quiet). Nothin was coming through the headphones. I then tried it straight into the computer and speaking into it but still the same!!? Is it broken?? Is it just that I need a proper preamp interface?

Oh yeah forgot to say, it works fine through my PA system. Tried micing the amp and its fine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tuitser

When you plug it into your PC, ideally you would want a good pre-amp but it should still work! Make sure its in the MIC input, not the LINE in! Go to your volume settings in Windows and look for a +20 db boost! Tick the box and turn all the faders up full! It should work then!

• Advertisement

Oh this isnt lookin good then... Yes Its in the mic input. I tried raising all the volume levels but its still the same! My other mic works in it! I also noticed that sometimes when I try record (using Audacity) with the 57 it shows all these strange diagonal staircase lines and wierd signals!!? Nothings working! Just to make sure you know my mic works fine through my PA... Its just recording that it wont do. Do you think maybe its because the 57 requires more gain than my other mic so it needs a preamp to work? Cause i will have a Firebox interface soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tuitser

Is the 57 new or secondhand? It doesnt require more gain! Its not a condenser so it doesnt require +48 volt phantom either! I dont know whats wrong, I have to take a look at the set-up!! Sorry! Just wait and try it with the firebox!

Its new so all the more surprising right! Im getting alot of mixed opinions on this, been told elsewhere by a few ppl that its fine and a 57 wont work without an interface (with a preamp) of some sort. I just dont know... Ill just have to wait for the Firebox to arrive (which will hopefully be the end of the week)... Anyway thanks.

Edit: Actually do you know if OpenAL32.dll (if your familiar with it) can cause audio conflicts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

have used 57s and 58s a lot and i despise them!! i guess its kinda like those ns10 monitors, you either love em or hate em..(i hate em lol) always loved the ksm 32 though

zero19 wrote:
    have used 57s and 58s a lot and i despise them!! i guess its kinda like those ns10 monitors, you either love em or hate em..(i hate em lol) always loved the ksm 32 though

And some people are using Ns 10s as microphones! It'll be SM58s as revolutionary headphones next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Reminds me of the SM58 mods I was reading about, apparently a fairly well known one is to remove the transformer and rewire the mic slightly which gives it a bit of extra bottom end, though it loses alot of signal strenght. Don't really fancy trying it myself!

Advertisement