Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M1 and assorted Roads

Options
  • 24-10-2006 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Is it me or does anyone bar a small minority actual adhere to the speed limit aka 120KMPH.

I use the entire length of this road everyday of the week and see incidents that would make your hair stand on end and have had a few near death experiences.

1.) If there are any NI drivers here can I ask why you seem to think you can break the law and do it with arrogance and sometimes murderous intent, going at 150KMPH + in your Audis etc do you think that is normal.

2.) NI Drivers and there lack of courteously again can I ask why you think you can bully people out of lanes and again attempt to murder intentionally or otherwise?

3.) Why am I paying car tax, insurance etc for Left handed drivers aka our lovely influx of eastern European drivers again as dangerous if not worse than our friends from the north, a Garda Statistical fact is that nearly 95% of these vehicles are neither insured, taxed or drivers licensed to drive them, I have several friends in the traffic corps would regularly patrol the M1 and other such like roads and are dealing with this on regular occasions.

4.) Can anyone explain to me the problem with performance car drivers and again speed limits as I think 120KMPH is sufficient unless an extreme emergency is taking place?

Can I get the views experiences of other drivers on this stretch of road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Flying wrote:
    sometimes murderous intent
    Steady on Flying.

I can't see this thread going anywhere. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Flying wrote:
    3.) Why am I paying car tax, insurance etc for Left handed drivers aka our lovely influx of eastern European drivers again as dangerous if not worse than our friends from the north, a Garda Statistical fact is that nearly 95% of these vehicles are neither insured, taxed or drivers licensed to drive them,
    Perhaps you could point us in the direction of this "Garda Statistical fact"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

150kmph on a motorway isn't exactly dangerous is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

This is quite possibly the best road in the country. Its a pity though that most people dont seem to know how to drive on it. I dont mind people who drive quickly (i.e > 120km/h) but what boils my blood are the lane hoggers. This has been spoken to death at this stage on this forum, but most evenings there is what I call the 'M1 Train' heading down the right hand lane of this road. It is so bad that I have now found that I get home quicker if I just stay in the left lane. I will just keep pace at my 120km/h while I pass the train rolling slowly to my right. I am constantly on my guard for people who might try and come back into the correct lane. I make more progress just staying in the left lane.

The amount of people who drive up each others arses on this road is staggering aswell. I am just waiting for the day when there is a massive pileup (again it will happen in the right lane) - I am surprised it hasnt happened.

I am quite content to flash people if I come up behind them and they dont move back into the correct lane in less than 10 seconds. If I approach a car in the right lane on a quiet M1, I will make it my business to point this out to them, by moving into the lane behind them at a safe distance, wait until they have looked in their mirrors and moved back into the correct lane, then I will overtake and move back to the left lane.

I also drive this road on a motorcycle, and car drivers seem to think that they have more right than I do which is why I end up lane splitting most of the time. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

mloc123 wrote:
    150kmph on a motorway isn't exactly dangerous is it?

Well is the speed limit was 150KMph but its not and to be honest it is quite dangerous

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Perhaps you could point us in the direction of this "Garda Statistical fact"?

The Garda Report on Traffic incidents can be got afaik very easily for 2005 most likely have a look a t government publications I have seen the guts of the one for 2006 and it is scary.

And before the PC brigade jump on boards with any accusations of racist or anti-immigrant intent I have none I am pointing out a fact that most of these people think they can jump into a car and drive without NCT,Tax,Insurance and Licenses. aw well bertie said they would never come in there hundreds of thosands but thats a discussion for another board !

Steady on Flying.

I can't see this thread going anywhere. :rolleyes:

I have again nearly got killed by a dangerous NI driver this morning again coming up my arse inches from my bumper flashing lights while I was over taking a convoy of trucks, if that is not murderous intent what is !!!.

I personally cannot wait to get on the ground why my garda reserve training is complete as I would take much pleasure arresting and having a zero tolerance policy against all especially non-southern irish drivers who should respect our laws on the road instead of breaking them !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Flying wrote:
    1.) If there are any NI drivers here can I ask why you seem to think you can break the law and do it with arrogance and sometimes murderous intent, going at 150KMPH + in your Audis etc do you think that is normal.

If you're not in the fast lane then they won't be bothering you. Sounds like you were lane hogging.

I drive that road a couple of times a week. The number of retards hogging the overtaking lane while there is huge gaps in the right hand lane is ridiculous.

HINT: If your in the right hand lane and there is a line a mile long behind you but empty road in front then you are lane hogging.

Flying wrote:
    I have again nearly got killed by a dangerous NI driver this morning again coming up my arse inches from my bumper flashing lights while I was over taking a convoy of trucks, if that is not murderous intent what is !!!.

Did you:

1. Check your rearview before moving into the overtaking lane?

2. Accelerate to get past the trucks in a timely fashion?

3. Fail to move back in between trucks despite a large gap and a faster moving following car?
    Flying wrote:
    I personally cannot wait to get on the ground why my garda reserve training is complete as I would take much pleasure arresting and having a zero tolerance policy against all especially non-southern irish drivers who should respect our laws on the road instead of breaking them !

The real gardai will have some laugh at your own little "zero tolerance" regime.

ballooba wrote:
    If you're not in the fast lane then they won't be bothering you. Sounds like you were lane hogging.

I drive that road a couple of times a week. The number of retards hogging the overtaking lane while there is huge gaps in the right hand lane is ridiculous.

HINT: If your in the right hand lane and there is a line a mile long behind you but empty road in front then you are lane hogging.

Sounds about right.... anyone remember the Charlie Bird report about the M11 :rolleyes: looks like we have his protege here...

• Advertisement

Flying wrote:
    I personally cannot wait to get on the ground why my garda reserve training is complete as I would take much pleasure arresting and having a zero tolerance policy against all especially non-southern irish drivers
    I would have thought that impartiality would be an important trait for any Garda Reservist. You should not take "pleasure" from arresting anyone. You sound more like Charles Bronson in Deathwish. I don't think they'll let you anywhere near the M1. The only licences you will see will be dog licences. How did you slip through the recruitment process?

ballooba wrote:
    Did you:

1. Check your rearview before moving into the overtaking lane?

2. Accelerate to get past the trucks in a timely fashion?

3. Fail to move back in between trucks despite a large gap and a faster moving following car?

The real gardai will have some laugh at your own little "zero tolerance" regime.

Yes all the above and as per usual all trucks were up each others arses, the whole Irish trait of driving is actually very dangerous, I have done professional driving courses both here and the UK, I have done the British army evasive driving course and I am actually a certified (UK) instructor unlike the cowboys here.

It seems like the majority of people here want to break the law and breaking the speed limit is an acceptable norm, correct me if I am wrong what part of the law do you not unstand, attitudes like so are the reason why so many people die on the roads...

An the jokes guys about the garda reserve very funny, pity a lot of ye dont have the gall or bottle to do something for your community in your spare time.

End of Rant

I would have thought that impartiality would be an important trait for any Garda Reservist. You should not take "pleasure" from arresting anyone. You sound more like Charles Bronson in Deathwish. I don't think they'll let you anywhere near the M1. The only licences you will see will be dog licences. How did you slip through the recruitment process?

Let me see how did I slip through the Process, I was a trained MP in the Parachute Regiment for 9 years, I have trained with the London Met mmmmm let me see should I coutinue...

And by the way it is a pleasure to arrest an offender, I suppose you think it is acceptable to drive at high speed whilst most likely untrained to do so ?

Flying wrote:
    Let me see how did I slip through the Process, I was a trained MP in the Parachute Regiment for 9 years, I have trained with the London Met mmmmm let me see should I coutinue...

And by the way it is a pleasure to arrest an offender, I suppose you think it is acceptable to drive at high speed whilst most likely untrained to do so ?

Are you Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Flying wrote:
    4.) Can anyone explain to me the problem with performance car drivers and again speed limits as I think 120KMPH is sufficient unless an extreme emergency is taking place?

Can I get the views experiences of other drivers on this stretch of road?

Whats an extreme emergency? AFIK the ROR has no line about speed limits not applying if you have an emergency. Sounds to me like you're making your own rules, if just not to the same extent as those you're complaining about.

I use this road quite a bit and yes there is quite bit of speeding, and yes it does seem to be a disproportionate quantity of northern cars doing 140kph in the outside lane - who dont like to be held up by someone doing 'only' 120 even if they are overtaking cars in the other lane themselves. They do it because they can get away with it. It proves the point that it is the perceived penalty that influences driving behaviour - they know they will only get a fine and no points.

Anyone one from the North know if southern drivers are renowned for speeding on your motorways?

Always stick to the 120 limit myself.

mloc123 wrote:
    Are you Irish?

Anglo-Irish ;)

Born here one parent UK the other Jackheen

Why would you or anyone want to be in the Garda reserve, thats what confuses me :D

Flying wrote:
    Keep digging!
    Flying wrote:
    I suppose you think it is acceptable to drive at high speed whilst most likely untrained to do so ?
    Did I say it was acceptable to exceed the speed limit? Where? My posts related to your attitude towards foreign drivers. I think that the law should be applied equally regardless of the nationality of the motorist.

(PS - I have a full, clean and unrestricted driving licence in the following categories - A,A1,B,BE,C,CE,C1,C1E,D,DE,D1,D1E,M,W but no, you're correct, I don't have high speed training. I don't need it. I obey the speed limits.)

Sandwich wrote:
    Whats an extreme emergency? AFIK the ROR has no line about speed limits not applying if you have an emergency. Sounds to me like you're making your own rules, if just not to the same extent as those you're complaining about.

I use this road quite a bit and yes there is quite bit of speeding, and yes it does seem to be a disproportionate quantity of northern cars doing 140kph in the outside lane - who dont like to be held up by someone doing 'only' 120 even if they are overtaking cars in the other lane themselves. They do it because they can get away with it. It proves the point that it is the perceived penalty that influences driving behaviour - they know they will only get a fine and no points.

Anyone one from the North know if southern drivers are renowned for speeding on your motorways?

Always stick to the 120 limit myself.

An extreme emergency would be for example my best mates brother in stabannon cut half his finger off and lourdes was say about 15 km away ambulance would take up to 30 mins to get there, in a car about 10 to 15 mins at speed, he was loosing a lot of blood hence, the driver going around 140KM to get there although against the law i think a court or the police would overlook this as extenuating circumstances otherwise there should not be much else scope for speeding..

Keep digging!

Did I say it was acceptable to exceed the speed limit? Where? My posts related to your attitude towards foreign drivers. I think that the law should be applied equally regardless of the nationality of the motorist.

(PS - I have a full, clean and unrestricted driving licence in the following categories - A,A1,B,BE,C,CE,C1,C1E,D,DE,D1,D1E,M,W but no, you're correct, I don't have high speed training. I don't need it. I obey the speed limits.)

I totally agree for the law to be equal to all, but alas it is not, why there is no real penalty for foreign drivers here, a fine maybe but points, endorsements and loading of insurance if any no.

It may never happen but a EU License database would be the way foward but again Big Brother Tactics....

And if you obey the limits I commend you !

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:
    Why would you or anyone want to be in the Garda reserve, thats what confuses me :D

To help people ? Help your community ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

ballooba wrote:

not if you are travelling faster than the cars you're overtaking. You might be lane-hogging, but you are not breaking any laws.

btw, I also live out the M1, and have a problem with the nordie-reg's blasting past like they own the place (call it what you like, thats what it is).

**roll on cross-border points**

p.s I'm sure the paddies do the same up North too. I used to travel the letterkenny-derry road a bit, back in the day.

nothings changed.

sk8board wrote:
    not if you are travelling faster than the cars you're overtaking. You might be lane-hogging, but you are not breaking any laws.

I'd love to hear you justify that behaviour.

It may not be illegal but it is inconsiderate and yes actually, it is lane hogging.

Flying wrote:
    An the jokes guys about the garda reserve very funny, pity a lot of ye dont have the gall or bottle to do something for your community in your spare time.

End of Rant

I actually work with inner city kids in my spare time.

I prefer to leave police work to the real police and I'll leave the garda reserve to busy bodies who think they are the law.

Garda reserve....

respect_02.jpg

ballooba wrote:
    I'd love to hear you justify that behaviour.

It may not be illegal but it is inconsiderate and yes actually, it is lane hogging.

No justification is needed for his behaviour - he is just driving according to the ROR.
    Nor is it lane hogging. You are entitled (within the speed limit)to be in the overtaking lane, passing cars in the other lane - you are not road hogging. You are if you do not move back to the inside lane when you have passed the other cars and there is space to move to.

You do not have to move out of the way just because some lout wants to break the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flying wrote:
    The Garda Report on Traffic incidents
    I'm having trouble finding this on google http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=Garda+Report+on+Traffic+incidents+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Sandwich wrote:
    No justification is needed for his behaviour - he is just driving according to the ROR.

Ever hear of work to rule?

If everyone drove exactly to the rules of the road and threw courtesy out the window it would be a sad sad day.

ballooba wrote:
    Ever hear of work to rule?

If everyone drove exactly to the rules of the road and threw courtesy out the window it would be a sad sad day.

But a safer safer day. Depends what you want I suppose.

• Advertisement

Sandwich wrote:
    But a safer safer day. Depends what you want I suppose.

Well picture the situation where a car is attempting to pull out of an entrance into a steady stream of traffic. The stream of traffic is under no obligation to let the person out. Would you like to see that courtesy thrown out the window as well?

Advertisement