Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M1 and assorted Roads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ballooba wrote:
    Ever hear of work to rule? If everyone drove exactly to the rules of the road and threw courtesy out the window it would be a sad sad day.
    If the overtaker at the front is making good progress, I don't see any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Flying wrote:
    Well is the speed limit was 150KMph but its not and to be honest it is quite dangerous

Says who? I was recently cruising along at 140-160km/h on a quiet M1 with the few cars that were driving in the driving lane doing about 110-130km/h. A breath of fresh air and a reminder of how motorway driving is in the rest of Europe

Yes I'm braking the law and I'll accept a fine and points if I get caught. Unsafe it was not imho
    Flying wrote:
    I have again nearly got killed by a dangerous NI driver this morning again coming up my arse inches from my bumper flashing lights while I was over taking a convoy of trucks

He's a tit. Under no circumstances should he be inches from your bumper provided you didn't cut into the overtaking lane just in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

especially non-southern irish drivers who should respect our laws on the road instead of breaking them
    So random tourists deserve your 'justice', or if you get the opportunity are you going to target NI and Eastern Europeans exclusively? Nice and impartial attitude that, just what the Garda need to boost their image. A guy was tailgating me yesterday through the roadworks on the M50, in an 01-D plate Mondeo estate, so I pulled in and let him pass. He then proceeded to weave in and out of the traffic but was still only 4 cars in front by the toll...This seems to happen lot with all different plates of car, not just NI.
    pity a lot of ye dont have the gall or bottle to do something for your community in your spare time.
    Who do you think you are - do you believe that you are somehow superior to others here for choosing to do this? Fair play to you if you want to, but it doesn't elevate you above the masses for doing so.
    I'm sure the paddies do the same up North too
    Damn right they do. Last year I was in Belfast quite a bit and it certainly seemed to be the case then.

unkel wrote:
    Says who? I was recently cruising along at 140-160km/h on a quiet M1 with the few cars that were driving in the driving lane doing about 110-130km/h.
    TRy to keep the difference to well under 25%, i.e. don't do 160km/h to overtake someone doing 110km/h. The greater the difference, the greater the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Victor wrote:
    TRy to keep the difference to well under 25%, i.e. don't do 160km/h to overtake someone doing 110km/h. The greater the difference, the greater the risks.

In principle the greater the difference, the greater the risk. More so in absolute terms than in relative terms. I agree that overtaking with a 50km/h difference is pushing it in Ireland even if the overtaker and the overtaken are the only cars on a motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Victor wrote:
    If the overtaker at the front is making good progress, I don't see any problem.

If they are making good progress then I wouldn't think traffic would bunch up behind them like that. The M50 being an exception to the rule because there is constantly a queue in both lanes.

On a road with as little traffic as the M1 there should not be queues like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

German law actually requires overtaking to be performed at a "significantly higher" speed than the other car. In reality, this is there to avoid 1/2 hour overtaking manoevres and/or long hold ups on 2-lane motorways due to overtaking motorists preferring to overtake at 100 or so.

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I love the M1, the only motorway in the country. Tip up and down at 150kmh, people typically stay in lane and when you come up on somebody at 120 in the offside lane, two flashes of the right indicator when they have somewhere to go and your past them, usually, most everybody on the M1 is actually driving thier car somewhere. (Of course reducing speed as the distance between the cars grows less during the over take to avoid causing uproar on boards.ie).

drive1.gif

When I'm alone on the road, no traffic in sight front or rear and on the bike I'll travel pretty much as fast as my bike goes (its a slow enough bike though), but even at that I'll keep an eye in my mirrors for the odd 200kph+ BMW M5 that ambles up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

saobh_ie wrote:
    Tip up and down at 150kmh

except of course just after the turn off for dunleer coming down from the north ;)

L5 wrote:
    except of course just after the turn off for dunleer coming down from the north ;)

LOL, that thing is so stupid. It's like a high-vis gatso.

Loads of skid marks on the road just in front of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Flying you just sound like a weekend warrior with a bee in your bonnet.
    I've been driving this road for as long as it has been opened and I see all sorts of numpties. I've found that lane hoggers are equally likely to be northern/southern/young/old/male/female. Northerners do seem to do it at greater speed though however the act of pulling out into tiny gaps between overtaking cars seems to be a very Southern preserve. This, in my mind, is much more dangerous than plain speeding and shows desperately poor road craft.

Personally, I find that driving up the M1 is a pain up until the environs of Dundalk. At this point the outside lane 'M1 train' has usually gone, the traffic density drops, the road sweeps nicely, visibility increases and the proportion of northern drivers greatly increases. Then I can take it to 200km/h without having to worry about the gimps who got their licence from a Cornflakes box and drive like they are under anaesthetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

el tel wrote:
    Flying you just sound like a weekend warrior with a bee in your bonnet.
    I've been driving this road for as long as it has been opened and I see all sorts of numpties. I've found that lane hoggers are equally likely to be northern/southern/young/old/male/female. Northerners do seem to do it at greater speed though however the act of pulling out into tiny gaps between overtaking cars seems to be a very Southern preserve. This, in my mind, is much more dangerous than plain speeding and shows desperately poor road craft.

Personally, I find that driving up the M1 is a pain up until the environs of Dundalk. At this point the outside lane 'M1 train' has usually gone, the traffic density drops, the road sweeps nicely, visibility increases and the proportion of northern drivers greatly increases. Then I can take it to 200km/h without having to worry about the gimps who got their licence from a Cornflakes box and drive like they are under anaesthetic.

You my good man should be jailed before you kill some poor innocent person with that attitude and that speed.

Driving at 200KM/h is the sign of a true idiot and personally if you killed yourself on the road and nobody else you would be doing society a favour.

I have been at one to many funerals of family members who have been killed by scum such as yourself...one of them my younger brother :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

Flying wrote:
    You my good man should be jailed before you kill some poor innocent person with that attitude and that speed.

Driving at 200KM/h is the sign of a true idiot and personally if you killed yourself on the road and nobody else you would be doing society a favour.

I have been at one to many funerals of family members who have been killed by scum such as yourself...one of them my younger brother :mad:

You can't call someone scum on a forum - that's personal and abusive. People have been baned for less recently!

Fortunately we have a justice system which means that a written or spoken 'attitude' to speeding is not an offence punishable by jail. Your random idea of justice is a bit O.T.T. Presumably you'd fancy yourself as some kind of Enforcer ' when you finish Garda Reserve training? Whatever your reasons against speeders, Northern drivers and foreign drivers, you sound like a zealot and that won't do yourcause any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

the reason there is a train on the overtaking lane on the m1 is because
    - what with trucks and "slower drivers" the driving lane averages about 80-110kph.
    - with the volumes of traffic at rush hour and the tendency to tailgate it can be hard to pull out into the overtaking lane

as a result people will just stay in the overtaking lane.

Occassionally there is a bunch up and the driving lane will go faster but it soon sorts itself out. In this situation you actually have to deal with overtakers pulling into the driving lane without looking... trying to save a few seconds and pull back into the overtaking lane 100m ahead.

I personally think that the overtaking lane of the m1 northbound in rush hour traffic is one of the most dangerous places to be.

You have tailgaters, people revving up your backside to make you go faster, and desperate people trying to pull out from the driving lane when there is no room. All this at 120kph +.

As a result I stay in the driving lane. I don't care if I end up doing 80kph for a while. At least I will get home alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

as I type!!!

from breakingnews:
    An accident involving a lorry has caused major traffic disruption on the M1 in north Co Dublin today.

The lorry has jack-knifed on the motorway between the Naul and Walshestown exits, entirely blocking the southbound lanes.

The accident has already caused a 7km tailback and motorists are being diverted away from the scene by gardaí.

Motorists travelling south are being urged to take the Julianstown flyover into Balbriggan, while traffic that has already passed this point should divert onto the Naul flyover and head to Balrothery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Flying wrote:
    If there are any NI drivers here can I ask why you seem to think you can break the law and do it with arrogance and sometimes murderous intent,

that's rich coming from
    Flying wrote:
    I was a trained MP in the Parachute Regiment for 9 years, I have trained with the London Met mmmmm let me see should I coutinue...
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

3ps wrote:
    as I type!!!

from breakingnews:
    An accident involving a lorry has caused major traffic disruption on the M1 in north Co Dublin today...........
    Breaking news as you type? Eh, you posted at 3.46pm - that accident happened apound 11am. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I don't think its rich coming from him at all. Just because he has worked with the British Army and trained with the Met in London. Just because he has done different things in a different country. Should he be confined to Ireland or something?? Also an Irishman living in Britain for a while doesn't equal a bad driver from Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jakkass wrote:
    I don't think its rich coming from him at all. Just because he has worked with the British Army and trained with the Met in London. Just because he has done different things in a different country. Should he be confined to Ireland or something?? Also an Irishman living in Britain for a while doesn't equal a bad driver from Northern Ireland.
    I think MAYPOP is referring to his lack of understanding of the term 'murder' ( considering that he says he has trained with the London Metropolitian Police).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Jakkass wrote:
    I don't think its rich coming from him at all.
    OK. I do.
    Google "Parachute regiment & murderers" and see if that compares to someone allegedly speeding and tailgaiting on a motorway.
    Jakkass wrote:
    Just because he has worked with the British Army and trained with the Met in London.
    Just because what?
    Jakkass wrote:
    Just because he has done different things in a different country.
    ???
    Jakkass wrote:
    Should he be confined to Ireland or something??
    ???
    Jakkass wrote:
    Also an Irishman living in Britain for a while doesn't equal a bad driver from Northern Ireland.
    I don't recall saying that it did, not that it even makes sense:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

heh heh

[Shatner]
    You Guys...
    [/Shatner]

You had me going there, I thought this was another "nordie b@stards driving really badly and screwing up our nice traffic" but no, it's an old thread resurrected.

I drive the the M1 most days (yes, I have yellow plates, living/working between Belfast/Dublin). I will admit to driving 120 to 130kph depending on conditions but never ever tailgate. And I have only ever received that treatment from Dublin regs on the M1. Make of that what you will. In fact, if I'm coming up from Cork or Kilkenny or anywhere else, traffic is fine except for the D-regs overtaking everyone and tailgating (coming back from Cork Jazz is always a scary driving experience).

But, I'm not going to tar all D-regs with the same stick. There are gobshytes out there of every sex/creed/colour/reg/etc. Just my bad luck they happen to be on the same road as me at certain times.

I think it's a real dumba$$ thing to say that all cars or drivers of a certain type/reg are dangerous/inconsiderate. Open your eyes ! Pull your head out of the sand, FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

mloc123 wrote:
    150kmph on a motorway isn't exactly dangerous is it?

MUPPET!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

How is that muppetry? If the road is quiet, I don't see how putting the boot down 30km/h more is dangerous

OK, chill out folks, verbal abuse may be understandable, but is not acceptable.
    How is that muppetry? If the road is quiet, I don't see how putting the boot down 30km/h more is dangerous
    A vehicle doing 150mk/h has 56% more energy than one doing 120 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Victor wrote:
    OK, chill out folks, verbal abuse may be understandable, but is not acceptable.A vehicle doing 150mk/h has 56% more energy than one doing 120 km/h.

So this would mean that for it to be safe to travel at that speed, you'd need your brakes to be able to dissipate that extra 56% quickly enough should conditions change. So assuming that we can agree that 120 can be a safe speed in busy but flowing traffic, 150 on an empty motorway wouldn't quite rank with eating babies.

Dermot

PS edit: Victor, I'm surprised at your choice to condone the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

edit, nevermind

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have my banning whip ready!
    No more references to scum, the met, the paras, or anything not connected to the theme of this thread!

I'm quite surprised at some of the statistics I have read on here such as the stopping distance at 150kmph compared to 120kmph etc.

Didn't realise that such a small increase in speed can affect those figures that greatly.

I disagree with the post about average speed in the slow lane causing the overtaking lane train.

I drive that road most firdays. There is often 60 to 90 second gaps between cars in the driving lane.

When this happens I pull in to the driving lane for the half mile or whatever and then pull back out to overtake.

If white van men and hairdryer drivers adopted this approach then that motorway would be a lot more pleasant to drive.

I have been known on occasion to undertake those in the overtaking lane at such stretches if they are disrupting the flow of traffic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ballooba wrote:
    making it visible will ensure that all drivers are made aware of speed traps on the roads. Prevention is better than cure?
    ballooba wrote:
    I know a lot of speeding cars brak hard for it and other cameras but I tend to notice that those who brake the most are the drivers who are already under the limit!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    I know a lot of speeding cars brak hard for it and other cameras but I tend to notice that those who brake the most are the drivers who are already under the limit!

LOL. Indeed.

Notice this every day coming up to the UCD flyover on Stillorgan DC.

Advertisement