Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken curry

• 24-10-2006 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

right so i want to make a chicken curry has anyone got some easy recipes that i could follow,would like to make it hot but not to hot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy a Jar of Pataks Balti and make according to the directions, seriously it is easy and fast and tastes great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

CJ - Are you talking about the sauce or the paste? The paste is superior IMO. I tried the vindaloo sauce recently & didn't think that it was great.

OP - What spices do you have at home? Indian, Thai? Any favourite ingredients you want included? Any you want left out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

This is what I do for a chicken curry, you may or may not like it.

Bring half a tin of coconut milk to the boil, stirring while doing so.
    Add 2 tablespoons of curry paste, Patak's do the best I reckon. Cook this until it's well mixed in and you can really smell it.
    Add 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of sugar and cook that for a few moments.
    Stir in the rest of the coconut milk and bring back to the boil. Turn it down then and add in some chick pea's and a pepper cut into pieces.
    At this stage I have had some chicken frying or being grilled seperately. Cut it into pieces and add it to the sauce. Once you have done this squeeze the juice from half a lime and let the mix simmer so the chicken absorbs some of the flavour of the sauce.

Very tasty, a little sweet and will be as hot as the sauce you use, or how much of it you use.

Now edited for stupid early morning mistakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Here's my variant. There's recipes (from my sis, I think) for curry powder / paste at the top of the same page which are what I typically use.

Hmmm...that reminds me...need to make up a new batch at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

eo980 wrote:
    ...fish sauce...coconut sauce...

Very tasty, a little sweet and will be as hot as the sauce you use, or how much of it you use.

Ummm...I think you've transcribed somethnig wrong.

Fish sauce and coconut sauce (????) are the only sauces you mention. Neither is gonna add the heat that you say comes from "the sauce you use".

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

He actually said "coconut paste", which doesn't exist either, but suspect he actually meant curry paste, especially as he explicitly mentioned Patak's.

Alun wrote:
    He actually said "coconut paste", which doesn't exist either, but suspect he actually meant curry paste, especially as he explicitly mentioned Patak's.

Whoops, hehe, I did indeed mean curry paste. I have now corrected it. Sorry, I wrote it just after getting out of bed. COCONUT MILK and CURRY PASTE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

My Version is as follows.

Ingredients:

2 Chicken Breast - cut into strips.
    2 Garlic Cloves crushed
    1 large onion
    1 Pepper (green,red,yellow - take your pick)
    1 Can of Coconut Milk - Blue Dragon brand
    1 tblsp of Thai Green Curry Paste - Blue Dragon brand - you can add a little more if you can handle the heat.

Method:
    Using a wok:
    Fry onion for a minute or 2.
    Add crushed garlic.
    Add curry paste and wait until the kitchen smells of Lemongrass + chilli etc - usually a minute or 2.
    Add chicken and fry for a few minutes until its coloured all over.
    Add peppers.
    Then after a minute add coconut milk.
    Allow about 5-10 minutes for chicken to finish off and sauce to thicken.
    (OR throw into oven for about 15 minutes)

Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

quazzy wrote:
    My Version is as follows.

Ingredients:

2 Chicken Breast - cut into strips.
    2 Garlic Cloves crushed
    1 large onion
    1 Pepper (green,red,yellow - take your pick)
    1 Can of Coconut Milk - Blue Dragon brand
    1 tblsp of Thai Green Curry Paste - Blue Dragon brand - you can add a little more if you can handle the heat.

Method:
    Using a wok:
    Fry onion for a minute or 2.
    Add crushed garlic.
    Add curry paste and wait until the kitchen smells of Lemongrass + chilli etc - usually a minute or 2.
    Add chicken and fry for a few minutes until its coloured all over.
    Add peppers.
    Then after a minute add coconut milk.
    Allow about 5-10 minutes for chicken to finish off and sauce to thicken.
    (OR throw into oven for about 15 minutes)

Yum.

could i throw so musrooms into this and maybe a chilli or two for that little extra kick? my wife loves hot currys also how much coconut milk just a tin of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bubthatub wrote:
    could i throw so musrooms into this and maybe a chilli or two for that little extra kick? my wife loves hot currys also how much coconut milk just a tin of it?
    Personally I find the supermarket Thai curry pastes pretty tame. Better to go to one of the many Asian stores around the place and get one of those big plastic tubs of the stuff. Just add a bit more paste than usual, and you'll know what hot is, believe me :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

bubthatub wrote:

Sorry for the late reply....

Yep add what ever veg you like. Mushies are great.

I grow my own chilli peppers so I often add an extra chilli if I need it in dishes - but the Green Curry Paste I mention is fairly hot and I would recommend you try it first without the extra.

If it turns out that you want/need it hotter then change the recipe to include the extra chilli - or you could throw a few chlli flakes in.

I find that the small tin of coconut milf can be a bot too small. So try add half first and see how it look. Also depends on how much sauce you actually want. Some ppl like a lot; other a little

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

eo980 wrote:
    This is what I do for a chicken curry, you may or may not like it.

Bring half a tin of coconut milk to the boil, stirring while doing so.
    Add 2 tablespoons of curry paste, Patak's do the best I reckon. Cook this until it's well mixed in and you can really smell it.
    Add 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of sugar and cook that for a few moments.
    Stir in the rest of the coconut milk and bring back to the boil. Turn it down then and add in some chick pea's and a pepper cut into pieces.
    At this stage I have had some chicken frying or being grilled seperately. Cut it into pieces and add it to the sauce. Once you have done this squeeze the juice from half a lime and let the mix simmer so the chicken absorbs some of the flavour of the sauce.

Now edited for stupid early morning mistakes!
    i dunno, for some reason this sounds to me like it would be very runny? no? does the sauce thicken much?

It does, not massively but it is a nice consistancy. It's not runny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

This is probably a stupid question but can the chicken remains from yesterday be used. (chicken was roasted)
    NB . I have never cooked more than a few rashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Yeah yesterdays remains are perfectly good for currying, just adjust cooking time accordingly so as not to slaughter it and make sure it gets up to proper temperatures for sufficiently long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Get yourself a jar of Wing Yip chinese curry paste - http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/print_view2.php?id=80380.

Add water to a few spoons of this stuff and you get the sort of chinese curry sauce you'd get in a chinese takeaway. It's great with leftover chicken or beef for a next-day curry.

It's also useful for a really simple supper over cooked rice - heat leftover rice while boiling the kettle. Add boiling water to a few spoons of paste and stir until smooth. Nuke the paste mix in the microwave for 1 - 2 minutes (stirring halfway). Stir into reheated rice for curry rice. Couldn't be simpler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭still

1 can chicken soup from cambells (condensced stuff)
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    some chicken breasts
    spices, chilli, can use curry powder mix from someone like Sharwoods
    Onions, chillis, etc

fry some spices, my favourite is fresh grated ginger and garlic, then some chilli powder and curry powder and some mustard seeds. then put the cans of stuff in the sauce pan and heat with maybe 1/2 can of water to dilute soup. then throw in chunks of meat (chicken) and veg.

cook for about 25 min

tasty with baturas and chutney

Advertisement