Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin...underwater

Options
  • 24-10-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

So all our foward thinking neighbours in Europe are putting together their
    disaster planning strategies for their cities if the sea-levels should rise in the next 20-30 yrs.

Meanwhile, in Dubin - we're planning developing a whole new area in our
    Dockland of all places. The mind boggles on this one...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 irishlordknight

Now you know why all the goverment departments are moving out of Dublin around the country.

And Why there building a underground Metro!

jetsonx wrote:
    Meanwhile, in Dubin - we're planning developing a whole new area in our Dockland of all places.

Wouldn't lose sleep tbh.

I bet the numerous engineers, architects etc. etc. thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wouldn't lose sleep tbh.

Of course they did. They'll build it, get their money, and then get the hell out of Dodge before the sh1t hits the fan. That's the Irish way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They'll be building a flood barrier across the mouth of Dublin bay! Cost 10 billion euro (est 2010) rising to 25 billion by 2045. ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Blue37

Am I the only one who dared to dream when they saw the title of this thread :confused::p

• Advertisement

humanji wrote:
    Of course they did. They'll build it, get their money, and then get the hell out of Dodge before the sh1t hits the fan. That's the Irish way.

And the buyers who buy will be paying a lot of money and will presumably have their own engineers who can tell them that, in case they missed the big expanse of water in front of them and missed the news about what happens every spring tide in Cork, or the big tsunami disaster in Asia, flooding may be a problem they should think of...

In my experience people who can afford property by the sea or in dockland development areas, like London, are not poor suckers ignorant of the powers of water...

Blue37 wrote:
    Am I the only one who dared to dream when they saw the title of this thread :confused::p

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Wouldn't lose sleep tbh.

Well, those very same engineers, architects failed to prevent flooding that hit large areas of west dublin including Blanchardstown\Clonee\Mulhuddart\N3\Dunboyne and Drumcondra from the River Tolka and flooding to Ringsend from the river Dodder in 2000/2002.

I'm not talking about the old housing stock but the recent housing stock of the last 15 years that was affected by these watery events.
    Developers got away with building even on flood plains back then, what has changed to prevent them doing the same in the new developments of the Docklands by the sea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

gurramok wrote:
    Well, those very same engineers, architects failed to prevent flooding that hit large areas of west dublin including Blanchardstown\Clonee\Mulhuddart\N3\Dunboyne and Drumcondra from the River Tolka and flooding to Ringsend from the river Dodder in 2000/2002.

I'm not talking about the old housing stock but the recent housing stock of the last 15 years that was affected by these watery events.
    Developers got away with building even on flood plains back then, what has changed to prevent them doing the same in the new developments of the Docklands by the sea?
    and at that it was only a river bursting, this is the bloddy sea level rising!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

humanji wrote:

yip this is what will happen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This is why you buy the penthouse but the ground floor is relegated to affordable housing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Damn it, I was looking forward to Dublin Bay being developed as a vast metropolis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Its all part of a ploy to curb excessive population growth:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

One way or the other steps will have to be taken if waterlevels rise, else everything as far up as Christchurch will be submerged - development of the docks or no development of the docks.

Seeing as all the engineers and contruction companies are going to be down there anyway, perhaps their ahead of the game on this one - for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Wait till you see some guy with a long beard and loads of animals down by the Liffeyside.

Then you will see who has the last laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Wouldn't lose sleep tbh.

Id have thought that people designing a tunnel designed for use by a large percentage of foreign trucks would have realised that trucks on the continent are built bigger. Guess again

Sometimes I think architects are getting less intelligent. Europe is full of cathedrals built in the 14th century and still standing, yet in 2006 we cant feckin build a tunnel properly or design the Luas tracks to last more than a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

shane86 wrote:
    Id have thought that people designing a tunnel designed for use by a large percentage of foreign trucks would have realised that trucks on the continent are built bigger. Guess again

Sometimes I think architects are getting less intelligent. Europe is full of cathedrals built in the 14th century and still standing, yet in 2006 we cant feckin build a tunnel properly or design the Luas tracks to last more than a few years.

Maybe it's because the Universities here are churning out engineers, architechts and the like with their heads crammed with theories and speculation....

There are tunnels in France and Switzerland which accommodate any size of truck.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Maybe it's because we elect politicians who unilaterally decide "no-one wants those big trucks on our roads".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

anyone try floodmap.ie its hard to see cos the background map is too busy

Advertisement