Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line attenuation. What is it?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

This is mine:

SNR Margin 11.0 dB 1.5 dB
    Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 3.5 dB
    CRC Errors 5 0
    Latency Interleave Interleave

So crap SNR? I connect at:

Upstream 672000
    Downstream 7616000

on my 7.6meg service so it does work..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

firefly123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Ive been reading this post and checked some of the stats. A friend has an eircom line at the very limit of the exchanges reach. She is only getting 160kbps downstream. The line attenuation is 41 / 24 (which as far as I can see is good) and the SNR is 31 down (also acceptable).

I cant figure how the stats are good yet her speed is so low - I think eircom limited it to this speed as it wasnt syncing at higher speeds - the question is would we see more noise and attenuation if the line was set to a higher speed??

Thanks,

FF.

The figures dont seem all that bad - whats the internal wiring like? Any other stuff connected to the line, have you tried it connected without the dsl filter and nothing else plugged in? Any sky stuff plugged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gerardoc

This is my first post so please allow for some cockups:D
    I want to upgrade my broadband.
    Im on a 1MB line atm but it never reaches that speed, usually around 45 KB/s
    My friend 2 mins down the road has 300 KB/s and my friend the other way had like 15KB/s until he phoned eircom and they somehow got his internet now to 150 KB/s.
    Because of my inet I can't play cod4/cod2/BC2/CS:S to ability I'd like to be able to.
    The highest I can upgrade to is 3MB they said on the eircom website where you type in your phone number that that is the highest it will go.
    Heres things I got from my eircom router home thingy:P
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 12.10 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 51.00 30.50
    CRC Errors 521 5
    I just want to know whether I can upgrade to 3MB and get better broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi Gerardoc,

Try this webpage http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php, it will give you an indication of your max speed, it says 4Mb for your attenuation but your SNR of 12.1db is quite low already, you could probably get the 3Mb package but you might get random disconnects.....you could try it and see how it goes and then get your profile changed to 2Mb for more stability...hope that helps.

Hi Gerardoc,

Try this webpage http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php, it will give you an indication of your max speed, it says 4Mb for your attenuation but your SNR of 12.1db is quite low already, you could probably get the 3Mb package but you might get random disconnects.....you could try it and see how it goes and then get your profile changed to 2Mb for more stability...hope that helps.
    Thanks for reply,
    I didnt know that you can get 2MB line? How come I got the 1MB line but never actually get it?
    Do eircom "throttle" my internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Hi Gerardoc,

Those speeds are for fancy ADSL it seems, not sure they'd be available everywhere ?

long_b wrote: »
    Those speeds are for fancy ADSL it seems, not sure they'd be available everywhere ?
    So what your trying to say is? (im relatively thick tbh:P)

gerardoc wrote: »
    Thanks for reply,
    I didnt know that you can get 2MB line? How come I got the 1MB line but never actually get it?
    Do eircom "throttle" my internet?

No, you can get the 3Mb package and when(if) its unstable Eircom can put you down to a 2Mb profile to try and add some stability, like some people on the 7Mb but only sync at e.g. 5Mb or 6Mb....the good thing about the 3Mb package is that it will almost treble your upload speed which is better for gaming. call them and ask them to try you on a 3Mb and see how it goes. As for getting the full speed DSL has overheads of upto 16%, I'm on the 7.6Mb but only get 6.4Mb due to the overheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

firefly123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Ive been reading this post and checked some of the stats. A friend has an eircom line at the very limit of the exchanges reach. She is only getting 160kbps downstream. The line attenuation is 41 / 24 (which as far as I can see is good) and the SNR is 31 down (also acceptable).

I cant figure how the stats are good yet her speed is so low - I think eircom limited it to this speed as it wasnt syncing at higher speeds - the question is would we see more noise and attenuation if the line was set to a higher speed??

Thanks,

FF.
    For some reason, eircom have set it to the lowest profile they can. It's a sort of remedial speed which is as stable as possible while still allowing a connection (though theoretically speeds lower than 160/128 are possible)

Anyway, the figures are perfect for 1mb broadband. 3mb would lvery likely be reached based on those figures if your friend ordered it. She's not that far from the exchange, only about 2 miles based on the attenuation figures.

What your friend should do is call eircom to set the line to 1mbit again as it's currently working at the slow speed of 160/128 and the line can carry a much faster speed than that. Just a quick phone call should do the trick, I've done this before for a friend who had line issues and was knocked back to 160/128 to help troubleshooting. It was back to 1024/128 within half an hour of the call.

No, you can get the 3Mb package and when(if) its unstable Eircom can put you down to a 2Mb profile to try and add some stability, like some people on the 7Mb but only sync at e.g. 5Mb or 6Mb....the good thing about the 3Mb package is that it will almost treble your upload speed which is better for gaming. call them and ask them to try you on a 3Mb and see how it goes. As for getting the full speed DSL has overheads of upto 16%, I'm on the 7.6Mb but only get 6.4Mb due to the overheads.
    So ring eircom ask for 3MB package but then tell them to put it to 2MB speed for some stability.

• Advertisement

gerardoc wrote: »
    So ring eircom ask for 3MB package but then tell them to put it to 2MB speed for some stability.

I would call them and ask them if your line will take 3Mb....if it does and you try it and its unstable, e.g. random disconnects then ask them to drop it to 2Mb.....but only if the 3 is giving you trouble. HTH.
    Best thing to do is call Eircom Broadband and discuss it with them.

I would call them and ask them if your line will take 3Mb....if it does and you try it and its unstable, e.g. random disconnects then ask them to drop it to 2Mb.....but only if the 3 is giving you trouble. HTH.
    Best thing to do is call Eircom Broadband and discuss it with them.
    Ok thanks:D

Advertisement