Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can The Digiweb Thomson THG520 Modem Be Configured For Virtual Faxing ?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Has abyone out there configured his PC to do virtual faxing with the Digiweb modem (Thomson THG520) ?

I was trying it and my PC cannot detect any modem (apart from the redundant56 kbps one, built in the PC) on my system . . .

Going through the XP Fax Configuration set-up one has to nominate some device through which one sends/receives fax files.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

tak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_faq.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=98&zzz=hm#q18
    Can I use my Metro phone line to send / receive FAX?
    No - a FAX service is currently not available through the Metro line. However, it is in testing with our engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When fax is available on the THG520 Modem it is via the POTS / RJ11 sockets using fax machine or ordinary modem. Try connecting your modem to Tel2 and setting it up as Fax. It may not work for fax out but might work for fax in.

They won't complain about you trying, just don't bother calling support if it doesn't work.

There are websites that offer a outgoing internet --> fax similar price to Skype out. Local phone call cost usually for any world destination.

AFAIK there is no way for ANY broadband modem on any technology to offer Fax emulation. An ISDN internal card can offer FAX via CAPI, both analogue and ISDN fax and incomming and outgoing. The sole remaining advantage of ISDN is that the SAME line (even one channel) / number can automatically be used for voice, fax, analog modem data and ISDN data (64K or 128k). Trying to use an ordinary line for Fax and voice is problematic on incomming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Thanks folks.

I got on to Digiweb who say their modem will not allow the transmission of fax via a connection from the 56k modem into line2 in the cable modem.
    And (so far, since I cannot get through to Dell Software Support) the people who supplied my PC have said that they do not think that they can enable the cable modem for faxing either.

Faxes are still used by small businesses and suppliers who have not yet bothered to use email for ordering, sending drawings, etc.
    All the elements are in place to achieve virtual faxing - but not co-ordinated.
    I feel like a fella who can't get to his bride with all the drunk guests on the staircase blocking his way . . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

use email instead of a fax machine, this system allows sending and recieving of faxes by email (in your case) and your customers and suppliers can contact a real fax machine which emails it to you , you get a UK number not an Irish one . No paper either

all your faxes are stored on your pc as nice little PDF files too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I use Yac aswell and its great, Its uberly handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

YUC indeed.

At €7.26 each month and 1.5 - 4.5 cents a page depending on scanning time I do not think it is such a smart move -- unless must have fax and there are no other options telcomswise.

tak.

Tak. you have PM reception disabled. So I can't answer your PM.

Nor will I answer it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 prittstick

Sky and fax both work with metor now! :)

Metro or Meteor?

Faxing will work on Meteor if your phone emulates a modem for PC (slowly).

This is 4 month old thread. I think Metro faxing/digibox been working for some time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement