Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 road works speed limit

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Are the guards making any effort to enforce the speed limit at the roadworks on the M50 these days (or years to come apparantly).

Driving within the limit, am amused/concerned lately that literally not a single car stays behind me. I guess at times a few hundred cars must pass me, exceeding the limit, when going from N4 to Sandyford or reverse.

It makes me feel like I am the dangerous driver, driving on the limit, while the cars behind me battle with the cars already in the overtaking lane to get into it and pass me.

Should I just forget it and put the foot down like everyone else?

Have not noticed anyone being caught either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Two friends of mine have nice shiney penalty points notices from the m50, one for doing 85 and the other was nabbed at 100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There is actually a speed camera at the works. Not sure if they are fining people or if it is just for show.

It's a pretty dangerous set up, I agree. I think the interim solution could have been much better designed by the engineers. They are putting the workers lives at risk.

That said, a garda stationed there once a week with a handheld gatso should sort people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sandwich wrote:
    Have not noticed anyone being caught either.
    A few posters were whinging here recently about being caught there. Do a search and you may find the threads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"balloba - I have seen the talivan a few times but never a fixed camera - where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Sandwich wrote:
    I guess at times a few hundred cars must pass me, exceeding the limit, when going from N4 to Sandyford or reverse.

Isn't the works limit only as far as the Tallaght exit, maybe even a bit before when heading southbound ? No wonder you feel like you're in reverse doing 60kph in a 100 to 120kph zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yes the white Gatso van is there regularly, I'd be on the M50 most weekends and see it nearly every time, pehaps it is not there duirng the week though. I've also head reports of a Garda with a laser gun under the N7 overpass.

I agree it is amusing/concerning how much the limit is being ignored. At off peak times when it is possible to break the limit 99% of cars do so by a big margin. I stick to the limit (within a couple of indicated mph) and usually have 3 or 4 others behind me me all doing the same speed while hundreds of cars fly past in the overtaking lane. Small convoys of cars sticking to the limit like this are common. Maybe a safety in numbers thing?

kbannon wrote:
    "balloba - I have seen the talivan a few times but never a fixed camera - where is it?

I meant the van, a fixed camera would be useless there, it would need new film every five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Don't they have digital cameras? - i.e. no need for film.

Oh, I thought that was why the fixed cameras were usually out of service.

Films finished or fitted incorrectly.

Advertisement