Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reserve Traffic Corps

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

This is a quote from a recent post.
    Flying wrote:
    I personally cannot wait to get on the ground why my garda reserve training is complete as I would take much pleasure arresting and having a zero tolerance policy against all especially non-southern irish drivers who should respect our laws on the road instead of breaking them !
    [http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007210]

This has me thinking. Firstly, What powers exactly will the Garda Reserve have in regards to traffic? Where and how exactly are the Garda Reserve going to draw the line between upholding the law and taking things personally. What happens if a reserve member has a problem with a car driving at 130km/h on a motorway, who technically he is breaking the law, but as we all know most cars have been know to exceed the speed limit on motorways on certain occasions. Common sense may not prevail.

Now maybe I should take this comment with a pinch of salt by this is going to be some craic when these boys come on board! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

In fairness the Garda Reserve are unlikely to be let into a squad car never mind onto a motorway.

Regardless, if the situation ever arose the real garda would be in charge so the reservist would be told to pipe down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Expect to see Garda Reserves patrolling dublin, on foot, on a Friday/ Saturday night With the reg Garda in patrolling cars so they can respond to the Reserve via radio.

More Garda, Less cost, happy government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They'll be half-way between the common-or-garden security guard, and a fully fledged garda.

Only the most officious wee ****es are likely to apply to be rent-a-cops.

The world will not be a better place.

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Drax wrote:
    Maybe I should take this comment with a pinch of salt by this is going to be some craic when these boys come on board! :rolleyes:

:eek: Somebody tell the Garda Sgt in Drogheda to put out to tender for a major extension to the cell block. Incoming Road Traffic offenders!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

I read somewhere that the rent a cops wont be allowed on traffic duties.
    Won't stop them power tripping in over zealous enforcment of other laws....then that goes for current full timers too.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bam Bam wrote:
    Expect to see Garda Reserves patrolling dublin, on foot, on a Friday/ Saturday night With the reg Garda in patrolling cars so they can respond to the Reserve via radio.
    The Reserve Garda can only do foot patrol or traffic duties if accompanied by a permanent member of the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

overdriver wrote:
    Only the most officious wee ****es are likely to apply to be rent-a-cops.
    If they don't get paid, how are they rent-a-cops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

"Rent-a-cop" is a derisory term used by real police to describe a security guard. These in fact, then, are SUPER rent-a-cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

CLADA wrote:
    :eek: Somebody tell the Garda Sgt in Drogheda to put out to tender for a major extension to the cell block. Incoming Road Traffic offenders!!!

Are you crazy CLADA? :D That would be called planning, something that doesnt exist in this country :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will the reservists have full power of arrest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

maybe, some of them will be a little on the over zelous side, but does not apply to regular trainee guards when they hit the streets themselves.

kbannon wrote:
    Yes. However, just like a full time officer, the will ahve to report it up the chain of command.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Drax wrote:
    This is a quote from a recent post.

[http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007210]

This has me thinking. Firstly, What powers exactly will the Garda Reserve have in regards to traffic? Where and how exactly are the Garda Reserve going to draw the line between upholding the law and taking things personally. What happens if a reserve member has a problem with a car driving at 130km/h on a motorway, who technically he is breaking the law, but as we all know most cars have been know to exceed the speed limit on motorways on certain occasions. Common sense may not prevail.

Now maybe I should take this comment with a pinch of salt by this is going to be some craic when these boys come on board! :rolleyes:

I would suggest that particular poster would be better served putting his energy into the speeders on the back roads rather than taking his Judge Dredd attitude onto the motorways and arresting people for doing 130/140kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

They`re busybodies that will be taking everything personally and think they can tell people what to do just becuase the things the people are doing is annoying them.

I`d say there`ll be great fun to be had with these chaps if they start picking on their own pet hates.

edit: references to violent conduct removed - why would you have even thought of that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Drax wrote:
    who technically he is breaking the law,
    i presume the exact same thing a guard would do if "you were technically breaking the law"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

i presume the exact same thing a guard would do if "you were technically breaking the law"

Dont be a stickler dude. Of course a guard could do you for the exact same thing. My point was that people who are members of the reserve may think that due to their newfound powers they may take things personally. There is so much lack of enforcement that they will think that they are the answer to the traffic corps.

Drax wrote:
    There is so much lack of enforcement that they will think that they are the answer to the traffic corps.

hopefully they will, god knows we need more presents and enforcement in our road laws, might do something to curb the road deaths. because the gardai are doing fcuk all.
    but just like the regular force, give them a couple of months on the job and they will soon assimilate into the general practice of their colleges of doing fcuk all.
    and remember the full gardai are paid well and do **** all these boys are payed nothing so they will do less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i think this is why some people were against the garda reserve because of power mad people like this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

E@gle. wrote:
    i think this is why some people were against the garda reserve because of power mad people like this
    It doesn't seem to have been the case in other countries where a similar system has been introduced. They've had so-called "special constables" in the UK for ages, in fact one of my distant relatives is one, and you really coudn't imagine a less power mad person if you tried. Public spirited is a term I'd use more to describe him. They also have the Stadswacht in parts of Holland, which has also been a success in my opinion.

Ideally, anyone on a power trip would be weeded out at the interview stage, however given the Gardai's obvious dislike of the whole plan, they've hardly got any incentive to make it work, have they? So maybe they'll deliberately sabotage the scheme by letting in a few loonies, publicise any misuse of powers that ensues and then cry "I told you so!" ... all pure conjecture, of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

As soon as some over-zealous Reserve-type nicks a Barrister, or someone with a few quid and and know-how of the system, on some jumped up charge that won't really stick they will go town (legally) and I can see sudden holes appearing in the reserve powers ;) By the time this happens however they will probably be already have managed to:
    assimilate into the general practice of their colleges of doing fcuk all.
    and remember the full gardai are paid well and do **** all these boys are payed nothing so they will do less
    How much willing support have they got from full-time gardai, it didn't seem to be any a few months ago?

• Advertisement

Gatster wrote:
    As soon as some over-zealous Reserve-type nicks a Barrister, or someone with a few quid and and know-how of the system, on some jumped up charge that won't really stick they will go town (legally) and I can see sudden holes appearing in the reserve powers ;) ?
    How will they do this when they haven't got powers of arrest?

Gatster wrote:

How much willing support have they got from full-time gardai, it didn't seem to be any a few months ago?

the full time force has come out and said that they will not assist the reserves in and way.

can you imagine that mentality....
    "here la, yer are getting a lot of stick at the moment so we will bring in some lads to make yer work load smaller and make yer job a lot easier"....
    "no fcuking way, we don't want somebody to help us"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

E@gle. wrote:
    are there actually people in the country who support it :eek:
    the full time force has come out and said that they will not assist the reserves in and way.

can you imagine that mentality....
    "here la, yer are getting a lot of stick at the moment so we will bring in some lads to make yer work load smaller and make yer job a lot easier"....
    "no fcuking way, we don't want somebody to help us"
    emmm... more like they have to baby sit power mad idiots with no training. there's a reason the gardai train for two years before benig given the powers they have. i think you'd be fairly annoyed if you spent 2 years training to be a garda and then someone else was just given a uniform and a baton and sent on patrol with you. i can forsee gardai getting beaten because of over zealous reservists who hit the wrong person with their baton

i think you'd be fairly annoyed if you spent 2 years training to be a garda and then someone else was just given a uniform and a baton and sent on patrol with you.

no i wouldn't, because i should have the intelligence to understand that it is for the welfare of the country and to help me out as a guard

beside surly every guard in the country knows that they are failing on the roads and should accept every help they can get.

and i wont go into the statistics on the amount of murders and serious crime that go unsolved in this country which is well above 50%

or are they just pig ignorant.... i just answered my own question i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by Alun
    How will they do this when they haven't got powers of arrest?
    According to others here they will have.
    Originally Posted by kbannon
    Originally Posted by Victor
    Yes. However, just like a full time officer, the will ahve to report it up the chain of command.

What would be the point of them if they haven't, eg.

Reserve Gardai - "You were breaking into that house/speeding/assaulting someone"
    Lawbreaker - "So, what the fcuk are you going to do about it?"
    Reserve Gardai - "Nothing, I have no power, it was just an observation, please stop it"

Gatster wrote:
    According to others here they will have, there seems even less point to it if they don't....
    That's strange ... I was pretty sure that when they first announced it this was not the case, and any reservist would always be accompanied by a full-time Garda who would carry out any arrest necessary. Has there been a U-turn on this then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

it would seem that we have all reacted the same of the the rank and file guards if th press are to be believed, and as usual with us (the Irish), we just dont do change, I would say that the training, however limited is a hell of a lot more than we joe public have, and besides the whole thing would turn out to be a complete and utter mess if the people themselves are not up to the required standard. I would imagine that as with every other job/company, training would be ongoing, and from my own point of view, I would prefer to be given help in what ever situation by someone who has any training rather than the good samaritian who has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

no i wouldn't, because i should have the intelligence to understand that it is for the welfare of the country and to help me out as a guard

beside surly every guard in the country knows that they are failing on the roads and should accept every help they can get.
    a completely untrained monkey is a uniform is a hindrance, not a help. bebing a garda requires serious training, 2 years worth. there's a shortage of doctors in the country too. would you support the introduction of reserve doctors who've had a month of training and aren't being paid?

i'm all for hiring more civil servants to do the paper work that has the gardai off the streets for large portions of the day, but having completely untrained people on the street with these powers will be more inefficient, dangerous and cause the scum to lose what little respect they have left for the gardai.

Alun wrote:
    That's strange ... I was pretty sure that when they first announced it this was not the case, and any reservist would always be accompanied by a full-time Garda who would carry out any arrest necessary. Has there been a U-turn on this then?
    Not so much a U-turn as a detour. To avoid the full-time garda not cooperating, the reserve garda will simply rely more on his sergeant.

• Advertisement

bottom line is....

the guards are failing miserably in curbing road deaths, solving serious crime and murders.
    they need help...fast. or else they need to shake up the force, because what we have at the moment is a waste of tax payers money.

Advertisement