Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reserve Traffic Corps

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

overdriver wrote:
    They'll be half-way between the common-or-garden security guard, and a fully fledged garda.

Only the most officious wee ****es are likely to apply to be rent-a-cops.

The world will not be a better place.

Nope.

Have to agree :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

a completely untrained monkey is a uniform is a hindrance, not a help. bebing a garda requires serious training, 2 years worth. there's a shortage of doctors in the country too. would you support the introduction of reserve doctors who've had a month of training and aren't being paid?

i'm all for hiring more civil servants to do the paper work that has the gardai off the streets for large portions of the day, but having completely untrained people on the street with these powers will be more inefficient, dangerous and cause the scum to lose what little respect they have left for the gardai.

Commander, is there a cap on the training they are to be given, or would you say be more in favour of a reserve guard after they had maybe a year and a half of experience, in other words if that powers that be let the whole thing take its course, and Im not entirely sure it will work either, what will the situation be like in 18 months, arent they takin on a couple a thousand of them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

wex wrote:
    Commander, is there a cap on the training they are to be given, or would you say be more in favour of a reserve guard after they had maybe a year and a half of experience, in other words if that powers that be let the whole thing take its course, and Im not entirely sure it will work either, what will the situation be like in 18 months, arent they takin on a couple a thousand of them
    in 18 months they'll be semi-acceptable (although they'll still have 2 years less experience than a brand new garda) but by that time a whole load of new recruits will be on the streets. just like everything with this government, they want to try to fix the problem without actually spending the necessary money. they need to get more gardai on the streets but they don't want to give them the necessary trainging. a reservist is not a garda. he's a bin man with a blue uniform and a superiority complex

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alun wrote:
    That's strange ... I was pretty sure that when they first announced it this was not the case, and any reservist would always be accompanied by a full-time Garda who would carry out any arrest necessary. Has there been a U-turn on this then?
    That is why I asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

And here was me going to apply. Seriously! I was too fat, though.

I thought that the reservists were getting some training in Templemore at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Initial induction training (phase 1) consisting of two days training at the Garda College will be followed by a total of 57 hours classroom based training at their assigned stations over the coming weeks. A further two day operational training aspect (phase 3) at the Garda College will be delivered in November followed by 40 hours on the job training (phase 4) at station level. The first intake of Garda Reserves will graduate (phase 5) on the 16th December, 2006 and will be subject to a probationary period of 2 years.
    In my opinion that is nowhere near enough training and that is the problem most people have with the Garda reserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

no i wouldn't, because i should have the intelligence to understand that it is for the welfare of the country and to help me out as a guard

beside surly every guard in the country knows that they are failing on the roads and should accept every help they can get.

and i wont go into the statistics on the amount of murders and serious crime that go unsolved in this country which is well above 50%

or are they just pig ignorant.... i just answered my own question i guess

so where can i send the form so that you can join the reserves' and put it right???:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

alfie wrote:
    In my opinion that is nowhere near enough training and that is the problem most people have with the Garda reserve

of course thats nowhere enough training, but as the govenment suddenly decieded that they wanted to push it through before christmas (hello election new year) there are some 40 pepple out there somewhere training to do basic tasks. at some stage in the proceedings, it will get noticed that they will need more training, and after much debate they will get it, and after more talk, push and shove, we will eventually get a viable reserve police force, which means more uniforms on the beat, this has to be a good thing, and I agree with what the commander said earlier, of course they are not guards, but they are better than nothing. The only reason that we dont have thousands more guards, is that templemore can only facilate a certain number at a time, and more guards means more training which means hello more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

thats one of the best ones!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Victor wrote:
    If they don't get paid, how are they rent-a-cops?

actually we do get paid and in response to someones question above reserves have exact same powers as full-time gardai

heres a quick reference to the training and powers / restrctions , pay etc of the reserve gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

miju wrote:
    actually we do get paid
    Expenses only. Congrats BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Miju, what would possess you to do such a job? Seriously?

Victor wrote:
    Expenses only. Congrats BTW.

thanks man ,

tbh it's better than nothing (which was what i expected when I originally applied) i think it works out at around €5 per hour or somethign close to that

and before anyone gets on here saying i'm a power mad / hungry / tripping busy body etc , i'm not , i'm someone who is sick and tired of the scum in this country and instead of moaning / griping about it i'll put my money where my mouth is and step up and help out by doing my bit , obviously not going to clean up the streets by myself seeing as how we'll only be volunteering 3-4 hours per week but it all helps towards the greater cause.

you never know 1 day it could be a reservist who comes to their aide but what are you going to do say "**** off i'll get my head kicked in *insert complaint* for the next 30mins until a "real" Garda shows up"

yes i know we'll be accompanied but you get my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Does that document not refer to full-time Trainee Garda, the word 'reserve' doesn't exist in that doc, I quote...
    Outside employment
    The assignment is whole time and the Trainee may not engage in, or be connected with, any outside business or activity which would interfere with the performance of the assignment.

Gatster wrote:
    Does that document not refer to full-time Trainee Garda, the word 'reserve' doesn't exist in that doc, I quote...

my bad i clicked on the wrong link , the reserve document is underneath that one here

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Anyone I know who's applied and were accepted for the reserves are probably the opposite of crazed power hungry curtain twitchers - and I'm a rational person who can recognise the whites of someone's eyes far away :eek:

I'm amazed at the amount of misinformation people are spouting about the reserves, what they can and can't do etc etc. Let's wait a few months and then see, once reserves are actually on the street in a regular capacity, what they are actually doing, are capable of doing, and are allowed to do. Maybe by that time most of you will know someone who has had some experience with it and then ye'll know more about it (good exp I hope!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

miju wrote:
    actually we do get paid and in response to someones question above reserves have exact same powers as full-time gardai

you dont have exact same powers you cant drive squad cars or sign any forms can you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

E@gle. wrote:
    you dont have exact same powers you cant drive squad cars or sign any forms can you.

In fairness to miju driving a patrol car is not a power, there are hundreds of fully trained gardai who cannot drive patrol cars because they have not completed the driving course, and they will be able to witness signatures on forms as part of their station duties.

Good luck to any level headed person who is joining to try and make a difference and contribute to the well being and safety of the community, god knows there are enough out there who have walked by and ignored the calls for help from those who were being robbed or attacked or even raped (remember the incident in Parnell Sq last month where a young girls cries for help were ignored as she was dragged into a flat complex and raped!)

Advertisement