Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a bold cyclist?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I was told I'd be shunned by the boards cycling community for posting my degenerate cycling habits up here but I think its relatively normal to be honest.

I've been cycling about 4 years and generally dont wear a helmet, have no lights and occasionally break the traffic lights when its safe enough. I personally dont see anything wrong with any of these things, do you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

pokypoky wrote:
    I've been cycling about 4 years and generally dont wear a helmet, have no lights and occasionally break the traffic lights when its safe enough. I personally dont see anything wrong with any of these things, do you?
    Well, the last two are illegal & gets us bad press.

I cannot think of any valid reason not having lights at night, they're so affordable these days, quite light & the batteries last for weeks.

Helmets are a personal choice based on comfort and risk. Many motorists & pedestrians choose not to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

You could ease your conscience a little by carrying a signed note exonorating the motorist that runs you down at night from all blame. It's the least you could do to ease the guilt he'd be feeling. And of course, it'll never happen anyway ;-)

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

i know boards cyclists are gonna hate me too, although I wear a helmet and use lights at night, I will always break a red light if it is safe to do so...generally at T junctions where I'm on the main part and me breaking the light has little effect on the motorists turning right onto this main road. I know I'm a bold cyclist...but there are lots more bold motorists out there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Helmet is a personal choice.

Lights you need if cycling at night and there really is no excuse. You are a hazard not just to yourself but to other road users and that includes other cyclists.

As for running red lights "when its safe enough"; hmm, it's still illegal and I stop at a hell of a lot more than most cyclists myself but if it was a left turn and there genuinely wasn't any oncoming traffic (or crossing pedestrians) then I would not be going gaga on that one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

pokypoky wrote:
    dont wear a helmet, have no lights and occasionally break the traffic lights when its safe enough

With out lecturing (well onlly slightly) there really is no excuse for not having lights particularly at this time of year. But why is it that when a cyclist breaks lights its ok and not when a car driver does it? No seriously why ?

Having said all that I drive a motor bike and I frequently use the (motor)cycle lane, always park on the pavement outside the place I'm visting and sometimes I drive under the speed limit - tho I never break lights.

• Advertisement

motorcycle lane! HAH! There's a picture of a PUSHbike in the frickin lane. That's one thing I hate, when a motorbike/moped cuts in front of you in the cycle lane to overtake a car on the inside...I SHAKE MY FIST AT THOSE WEAVING BASTÁRDS!

Cyclists who break lights generally cause no inconvenience to the traffic with the green light is the thing...cyclists are smaller than cars and motorcyclists. Most cyclists who break red lights have decent enough judgment to know they can't break a red light through a crossroads :P

XJR- I can't believe you would ask such a question and then talk about the "(motor)cycle lane." Join Date: Oct 2006 ... Posts: 5 ... do i smell troll...

EDIT: Apart from that, agree largely with tywy, I would suggest that when it is acceptable it is for the same reason that we don't go bananas in this country over a pedestrian crossing on a red if there is no traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Breaking red lights is breaking the law. If every road user was to do this there would be traffic chaos

I don't argue with that but people break the law to suit themselves all the time.

For example, the roads would be in chaos if everyone travelled at 50km/hr in the 50km/hr zones. I'm not saying drive crazily or anything but most traffic travels safely about 10km/hr over the speed limit. Otherwise the traffic in Dublin would be crap at all times of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I just got home from my gf's house, having left from college at about 5.30. I didn't expect to be coming home in the dark and so i didn't have my lights with me, although the front one was still in the bracket so I had that with me so at least I had something.

*Cycling without lights is pretty dumb, but that's your own choice - i try to have them with me all the time.

*Helmets are your own choice too - i don't wear one either.

*Breaking lights is (imo) ok, provided you don't interfere with traffic / pedestrians. I only do it when i'm 100% sure it's safe and I'm not gonna endanger anyone, including myself.

I personally think that the above aren't the worst things a cyclist can do. On the way to my gf's earlier, I was in absolute rush hour traffic, and the amount of absolutely dreadful cyclists out there is unreal.

I think being a more skilled cyclist really improves overall safety for everyone - today i came up behind a group of people on bikes, many with full gear (helmets/hi vis vests yada yada yada) and despite all this stuff - weaving in and out of the cycle lane because they just can't cycle properly.

Another thing is cyclists overtaking one another. I understand that it's a fitness thing to many (as a triathlete I do tend to go quite fast sometimes) and being overtaken spurs people into lashing back and proving their mustard, but when someone darts past you but can't keep the pace and then sits infront of you and just obstructs you is plain stupid and dangerous.

Tailgating - another bad habit that many cyclists are prone to. The group i mentioned above had 3 in a row, less than 1/2 a foot between front and rear wheels, in traffic that was stop and go the whole way. Just dangerous again.

Cycling in the wrong gear seems to be a big problem as some guys just don't have the strength to push it that hard, and end up using their upper body to push the bike, and generally they end up wobbling all over the place. There's nothing wrong with spinning the gears, and it's better for your fitness anyways, so don't wobble so much.

My final moan is about lads at traffic lights who have decided to stop and obey the law, but go around you, sit and wait in front of you until the light goes green, but when it does, barely move, obstruct you and the following traffic. That's really irritating, and again dangerous.

Sorry for the long rant, I just hate seeing stupid cyclists because they give us all a bad name.

• Advertisement

I understand you completely...cycling in the wrong gear and pulling the handlebars from side to side to accelerate irritates me to no end! As do the people pulling in front of me at the green light. I think it's more annoying if you've just overtaken them like 2 mins previous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

pokypoky wrote:
    I was told I'd be shunned by the boards cycling community for posting my degenerate cycling habits up here but I think its relatively normal to be honest.
    Honesty is great, but of course you forgot to mention the time u knocked over an old lady and injured her dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭pokypoky

Kinaldo i think you will find I posted that one on the "it completely wasnt my fault" forum. And i didnt injure the dog I injured the old lady to clarify. But anyway that is not the point.

Does anyone here think its ever correct to vandalise cars parked needlessly in cycle lanes, ive got to say I've been tempted at times right after ive had to swerve out of the way into speeding traffic, infuritaing.

did you really need to swerve to dodge a parked car?!?

it's annoying that they are there but you can see them in time enough not to swerve :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

pokypoky wrote:

I've been cycling about 4 years and generally dont wear a helmet, have no lights and occasionally break the traffic lights when its safe enough. I personally dont see anything wrong with any of these things, do you?[/QUOTE

Because Irish people take such a cavalier attitude to road safety and road traffic law we have 420 odd fatalities every year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do have lights, and do break lights the odd time, I break the same lights I would as if I was a pedestrian. The reason? because I can get away with it! gets me to my destination quicker and I do not think I am posing any threat.

I also cycle on some footpaths where I would personally deem it safer for me, and the cars, if a pedestrian is passing me I stop completely. There are many footpaths like this and that is why I presume they scrapped the idea of on the spot fine for cycling on paths. If I was to cycle on some roads I could imagine the gardai actually wishing I was breaking the law.

Cyclists are unlikely to be stopped and pedestrians are even less likely. I bet the majority the cycling non-light breakers have broken the traffic laws while using a different mode of transport, namely their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

It all depends on why you're not doing these things. Cyclists hate being forced to do anything, especially wearing foam lids. If you're not wearing one because you feel safer or just as safe without one, then fair enough. If you're wearing one to be a rebel, then I'd question the sense in that.

When it comes to lights, again you could be doing it to be anti authority or whatever. I have a really bright light setup because it allows me to be more confident and assertive on the road at night, and cycle more like I can during the day. I can be more sure that cars can see me. I don't really care whether I'm legally obliged to have lights - they make my cycling life better.

As for breaking red lights, well this is a contentious one. I personally don't see the point in sticking to the letter of the law - braking, sitting and waiting in a perfectly safe place. I break a few red lights on the way to work.

To be honest there is a huge difference between a car breaking the law in small ways, and a cyclist doing the same. A cyclist breaking a red light is mainly a danger to himself - he might get himself killed, but he's unlikely to kill anyone else. A car breaking a red light is a danger to himself, his passengers, and all other road users. A cyclist (unless listening to an ipod) is more tuned in to their senses, while a car driver has his senses muted by being enclosed as well as the noise of radio, mobile phone, screamin kids, etc.

I know I'm being hypocrytical in being a cyclist that demands rights akin to car users, but only pedestrian level responsibility.

Cycling on footpaths - now that's just pointless, as well as being inconsiderate and intimidating to pedestrians.

cunnins4 wrote:
    *Cycling without lights is pretty dumb, but that's your own choice - i try to have them with me all the time.
    This is wrong, it's NOT just "your own choice," you are endangering other road users by not using them. Motorists can't see you and as a result may need to swerve suddenly putting themselves and whatever they may swerve into at risk. Other cyclists can't see you and as a result may hit you or need to swerve suddenly. And pedestrians can't see you and may walk out in front of you.

If you didn't expect to be out, fine, happens to us all, but just try to have them next time. I find just leaving the lights on the bike all the time during the winter is easiest.

Helmets ARE your own choice, you're not going to effect anyone except yourself by having them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Do I use lights at night? Yes
    Do I wear a helmet? No
    Do I break red lights? Yes

I've been cycling in and out of the city centre from the suburbs for the the last 6/7 years now. I've had my fair share of accidents but I've never caused one or hurt another person while cycling. I like to think I'm a fairly experienced cyclist and when I do break red lights its generally only at lights I'm familiar with and I know there is no risk of putting myself in danger or other road users.

Only this morning I was going through a T-Junction I go through everyday and I broke the light. It was perfectly safe and there was no cars coming from my rights hand side (It was still illegal I know!) Anyway there was this guy on a Honda 50 at the lights who saw me and starting roaring shouting :eek:
    100 meters up the road and I'm in the cycling lane and he's right up my arse shouting away and beeping his horn like a mad man. I tried to let him by even though there wasnt enough room and he shouldnt have been in the cycling lane, so I pulled over altogether and he stops aswell and starts calling me all sorts of names. At this stage I'm thinking this guy has a right to be angry but he's a nutter so I hopped back on my bike and went on my way. Five minute's later and he's still there behind me giving it loads, eventually I had to make my way into traffic to get away from him. Strange experience but it takes something like this to re-evalaute your cycling habits. I think I'm going to be more careful when I see people on Honda 50's from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Somebody asked something like "Why do cyclists believe it's okay to break red lights when they obviously don't believe motorists should be allowed do so?"

I think there's an answer to this. I believe a lot of cyclists feel that traffic lights are a solution to problems created by motorists and, to that extent, they are justified in taking what I'd call a pragmatic approach to respecting them. Many feel that if there were only cyclists on the roads, traffic lights would probably not be even necessary.

They also think the consequences of their taking that attitude are nowhere near as far-reaching or as grave as they would be if motorists took that attitude. The law fails to take account of this simple fact: you can do a lot more harm to others inside a petrol-powered, 1000kg lump of steel travelling at 50-80 kmph than you can atop a man-powered 50kg lump of steel travelling at 15-30 kmph.

So, in so far as cyclists usually only risk their own lives in taking a pragmatic view of the law regarding traffic lights, I think there is a strong argument to support that attitude.

This attitude is in conflict with the law but that is not what's at issue. Nobody doubts the law. What's at issue is not what's lawful, but what's just.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

helmets: I don't really care for them

lights: I have em. Not using lights is just asking for trouble. It's best not to shock people when on the road. A shocked motorist/cyclist/pedestrian might not always do the right thing when an unlit cyclist suddently appears out of nowhere.

RLJ: don't usually do it myself, might break the odd pedestrian one if the pedestrian is long gone, but never lights at junctions

youcancallme>al: Did you point out to him that he was driving a motorbike in the cycle lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

The law fails to take account of this simple fact: you can do a lot more harm to others inside a petrol-powered, 1000kg lump of steel travelling at 50-80 kmph than you can atop a man-powered 50kg lump of steel travelling at 15-30 kmph.
    you're bike is 50 kg:eek: thats hardcore man!

i dont wear a helmet and most of the time i dont have lights.

i do however wear one of these at night: vest.jpg

and i only break a red light when i am cycling late at night and there are literaly no other road users around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Somebody asked something like "Why do cyclists believe it's okay to break red lights when they obviously don't believe motorists should be allowed do so?"

I think there's an answer to this. I believe a lot of cyclists feel that traffic lights are a solution to problems created by motorists and, to that extent, they are justified in taking what I'd call a pragmatic approach to respecting them. Many feel that if there were only cyclists on the roads, traffic lights would probably not be even necessary.

They also think the consequences of their taking that attitude are nowhere near as far-reaching or as grave as they would be if motorists took that attitude. The law fails to take account of this simple fact: you can do a lot more harm to others inside a petrol-powered, 1000kg lump of steel travelling at 50-80 kmph than you can atop a man-powered 50kg lump of steel travelling at 15-30 kmph.

So, in so far as cyclists usually only risk their own lives in taking a pragmatic view of the law regarding traffic lights, I think there is a strong argument to support that attitude.

This attitude is in conflict with the law but that is not what's at issue. Nobody doubts the law. What's at issue is not what's lawful, but what's just.
    With respect, I don't think that this stands up. Like it or not, cyclists, motorists (and sometimes pedestrians) form a traffic system that relies on everyone playing their part. The best you can do is obey the rules and hope that others do the same. A bike by itself isn't going to cause much damage if crashed, but could lead to carnage if you run a red light. You have no idea what the other people using the junction might do, or whether they might appear suddenly.

IMHO the reason cyclists break lights is that it retains momentum, and because they can get away with it. I'm an irregular commuter now, but the buzz of flying by traffic does make it difficult to stop: it takes discipline. It's also good for PR if you're a responsible road user.

Lights on bikes should be a no-brainer. Dark bike/clothes + distracted driver = roadkill. Helmets I can give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A cyclist breaking a red light is mainly a danger to himself
    While this is true, have a thought for the motorist that might hit you in such a circumstance. It would be a traumatic experience to injure someone in such an accident. I know the defence is "I only do it when it's safe" but the cyclist's definition of safe may be different from the motorist's, or the cyclist may not have seen some approaching danger.
    tywy wrote:
    I know I'm a bold cyclist...but there are lots more bold motorists out there :P
    Two wrongs != One right. :p
    Well, the last two are illegal & gets us bad press
    We are all ambassadors for the cycling community and should avoid being bad examples of the community. With so much bad behaviour by some cyclists I believe that it is up to the rest of us to be model citizens to counter balance those fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ferdi wrote:
    i dont wear a helmet and most of the time i dont have lights.

i do however wear one of these at night: vest.jpg
    You are required by law to have lights. That aside, your vest requires oncoming lights to be effective. This will not help pedestrians see you.

daymobrew wrote:
    You are required by law to have lights.
    call the cops:confused:
    daymobrew wrote:
    That aside, your vest requires oncoming lights to be effective. This will not help pedestrians see you.
    that does not pose a problem for me as i do not cylce on the footpath, nor do i encounter pedestrians hurtling down the road at 50mph that often.

they could walk out in front of you when crossing the road though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I have lights, wear high visibility vests in the morning at from dusk onwards. I don't wear a helmet and do not break lights, though I do pass through pedestrian crossings if safe, and occasionally pass through lights to take left-turns when safe to avoid big onslaughts of traffic when I know I have to pass through a tricky junction. "Safe" to me meaning: a break in oncoming traffic which lets me get into my lane before cars come trundling on.

These are fairly black and white issues - lights are required by law, breaking the lights is illegal, helmets aren't yet illegal, signalling when turning and not veering all over the place, being in the right gear, this is common sense.

Grey areas are tougher. Particularly when it comes to stupid pedestrians. This morning, I was cycling to work, turning a corner slightly behind a car in front of me. The car passed, and this fella walked off the corner to cross the road, with me coming up behind. I put the brake on to slow down and communicated with him that I was going behind him to avoid a collision. I couldn't go in front of him because an oncoming car may have hit ME. The road was wet, so I hit the brakes hard but slid into him - not to hard thank god. He just waddled on.

Here I am, on the road, being careful, obeying the rules of the road. Presumably I had right of way, and WAS careful. But who is in the wrong. Who's fault is that?

Pisses me off. I should have yelled at him.

• Advertisement

tywy wrote:
    they could walk out in front of you when crossing the road though...
    then they should probably wear lights

Advertisement