Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySql multiple table Select problem

Options
  • 24-10-2006 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, little stuck on this. I've got 5 tables for 5 different categories, sales lettings, sharing, short term and commercial. They can each be searched individually using advanced search pages, but I want to have a quick search option as well, that will give back all the results from each table based on the location. Anyone got any pointers on how to go about this?

I've tried this:

[PHP]$query = 'select * from items_sale, items_let, items_share, items_sterm, items_comm as items where items.active = "Yes" and items.sold = "No" order by items.hits desc limit 4';[/PHP]

but that doesn't return the necessary result set, I can see why, it was just a stab in the dark!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

You're looking for a UNION'ed query

eg

Select field1 as SomeName from Table1
    union
    Select Field5 as SomeName from Table2
    union
    Select Fieldx as SomeName from Table3

That should sort you out.

Regards

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Cheers liamo, thats set me on the way! This is what I get for learning by doing, I miss out on the likes of unions and subqueries!

Advertisement