Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing in Ireland...

Options
  • 24-10-2006 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Just wondering...

at 35 years of age, and not having raced in a number of years (15), if I was to race again, how much does it cost these days for a racing licence?

Also, I take it I'd be in the Senior 3 category but would that mean I'd be competing with younger guys at 23 years of age etc?

Cheers
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I don't have anything useful to tell you about the Irish racing scene, but wanted to chip in with some encouragement.

I did something very similar this year - started racing again at age 33, a good 15-20 years since my last competitive biking. Have to say it has been a real hoot, though you do run the risk of killing yourself trying to keep up with all the up-and-coming fast youngsters. Console yourself by using your superior earning and purchasing power and buying a much nicer bike.

Well worth getting back into the race scene I feel - even as I was beaten in a sprint for 38th place in a CX race by a great big lardy pie-man last weekend, still had a smile on my face.

Keep us posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

The cost of a full Cycling Ireland racing license was €115 last year including personal accident insurance... This lets you race in as many open races as you like. The insurance covers you on any club spins you do which is quite good...

Its also possible to buy a one day licence for each race, something like €30 a go i believe.

As far as racing Senior 3 goes, they're usually mixed in with the Veterans anyway, but you might be eligible to race Vets.. I don't know what age you've to be?

I'd say you should definitely give it a shot anyway, I started racing last year with no experience and no fitness, but by the end of the season I was able to compete:) Your previous racing experience can only do you good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 animal

1. You have to be 40 to race the Vets races.
    2. Senior 3's are usually in with the Juniors (u/18's) and often the vets too. There are a lot of complaints from S3 riders there arent enough races exclusively for them - but there are a few.
    3. A good idea would be to join a club with a club league. Are you in Dublin? If so, Orwell(Dundrum), Lucan, The Ravens, and USHER IRC have a club league together on Thursday evenings. An excellent league alternating between Clonee and Brittas on alternate evenings. I think Dublin Wheelers and Swords CC run one too.
    4. After you buy a racing licence the races cost 10 euro a go.
    5. I hope you have plenty money.

It's well worth it though! Now would be a good time to join a club - start of the winter training and the training spins are easy. If you'd like to tell me where you are i may be able to recommend a suitable club.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Thanks guys. The licence fee has gone up a lot since I last bought one :)

I've just bought a bike, and dug out my old Toshiba Look gear!! The jersey must have shrunk over the years!! :D

I'll give it a go. I'm living in Lucan, but I think I'll join my old club down in Laois since I know the roads better.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mike

Advertisement