Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embed Database?

Options
  • 24-10-2006 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Im pretty much a dreamweaver noob, and im trying to figure out if it's possible to embed an excel database into a html page. The results of the search are all on 1 sheet of the database, but i need the file contents for the search to work.

Can anyone tell me how to do it?
    Can anyone recommend any programs that can?

Thanks for any help,
    Bongos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You're more likely to be making an ODBC connection to the database than actually embedding it in a page / file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Excel files aren't databases, they're spreadsheets. Are you sure you don't mean an Access database?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Excel files aren't databases, they're spreadsheets. Are you sure you don't mean an Access database?
    Which is what I read his question to say.. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

blacknight wrote:
    Which is what I read his question to say.. .
    Still just as well to ask and verify as to assume. Just in case the next thread is about creating an ODBC connection to a .xls file.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'd recommend spending the time to learn how to use one of the sql flavours to do what you want as access is not really designed for web use i.e. if it goes on shared hosting someone elses shodding coding and inability to close connections may cause all access based sites on the server to go down. The time you spend learning about sql will pay off over time for you as you wont have to be chasing your provider to do an iisreset within their approved times for such things ( You cannot ask a hosting provider to iisreset a server with a good load of customers just because your access driven site is down due to a jet error in the middle of the business day )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

lolr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

My bad.

O.k., so we started a spreadsheet of data, and then used VLOOKUPS across sheets so it's acts like a database would. I realise it's a roundabout way to doing it, but it seemed easy at the time.

Is there any way i can put the excel file onto a web page?

We have it so that the data sheets are locked and only the 1st sheet with the request boxes appear.

I've never used access, can an ODBC connection be made to an excel file, and is it difficult to do? bearing in mind in a Noob.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this will work for you but how about Google Spreadsheet? Otherwise, why not just output all the data into a mysql database and instead of using vlookups - do some sql stuff?

I take it you want to refresh your excel sheet every once in a while and have people on the web access only particular bits of the info on your spreadsheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Im doing a website as a student project. I don't know how to use SQL and i've looked a few tutorials, but it seems a bit of a waste having done it all in excel.

At the minute, we have the spreadsheet locked, so the front page only allows access to two selection bars, where you enter the selection. We can host that as a web page, it just limits us to how dynamic we can get with the 1st page. Atm, we'll have hyperlinks on the main page to take you further into the website, which will be HTML pages.

I really appreciate all the suggestions, im just unsure as to how to proceed. :confused::(

• Advertisement

You don't seem to have any real answers here pertinent to your situation so I would imagine that you should at least think about learning the basics of SQL to do such a job as excel is most likely not what you need right now. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong but if it's for a college project with live data and websites I reckon you should at least touch upon SQL as it is a staple diet for web work as far as I understand.

Advertisement