Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car/Decisions decisions

Options
  • 24-10-2006 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Ok im looking at getting my first car. Im 23, live in Dublin and am a male. I want something between a 1.2 and 1.4 (so i wont be fecked on insurance), thats cheap, looks good and isnt to feminine. my budget is about 3k.

Ive narrowed it down to a 01 Punto at (bout 3k), i like the look of them and the interior is nice

A 00 Seat Ibiza (newer shape) again about 3k. I know there more realible but not as nice looking.

A 00 Astra, maybe a bit more expensive and would be a bit more expensive on insurance as id go for the 1.4, but are a nice car if not a bit boring

Pug 306 - Would of never really been into them but after having a look at a few of the hatchbacks on carzone i now like them, whata re they like?

I wouldnt mind buying something cheap for under a grand if its a nice looking decent and a realible yoke (no puntos i hate the old ones), any suggestions?

Other options include a Pug 206 which id like,but there to expensive. A civic which again id like but there would be scum tryin to rob it every night (it will be parked on the road)

What do yous think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Buy something like a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Almera or something Japanese that won't break you financially like the Punto will. Japanese stuff goes nearly for ever if you look after it. Another car worth considering is a Suzuki Baleno, its nothing special and a bit light but they run on fumes and go forever. I have one as a loner car and in three years never gave me a days trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

junkyard wrote:
    Buy something like a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Almera or something Japanese that won't break you financially like the Punto will.

Anything japanese apart from a Honda civic....Insurance companies see young male and Honda civic and think boy racer and so charge $$$$$$ !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

ditto anything japanese - have you thought about a ford fiesta, it might fit your critera and is very reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

But i think the likes of a fiesta, baleno or corrolla are incredibly middle aged/OAP cars. I think id look a bit of a sap drivin around in a baleno tbh.Less so with a corrolla, maybe il have a look into them on carzone.

Id love a Jap car but the Jap ones I like would kill me on insurance (Colt, Lancer, Civic, (skyline:p ) is there any suggestions for a jap that isnt gona go mad with the insurance? The likes of a yaris would be grand if they werent so feminine. What about the Honda Jazz are they being imported as second hands?

Thanks for the advice so far lads its a big decision and will all be taken into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Junkyard's advice is sound and I'd go with it if I were you.

Remember it's your FIRST car, not the car you'll be driving for the rest of your life, hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

01 Punto at (bout 3k), i like the look of them and the interior is nice
    Oh God NO NO NO!

A 00 Seat Ibiza (newer shape) again about 3k. I know there more realible but not as nice looking.
    Thats a VW Golf in Dunnes clothes. Good car but as you said not very pretty.

A 00 Astra, maybe a bit more expensive and would be a bit more expensive on insurance as id go for the 1.4, but are a nice car if not a bit boring
    tbh the 1.2 is a much better engine, very nippy too. Harder to get though

Pug 306 - Would of never really been into them but after having a look at a few of the hatchbacks on carzone i now like them, whata re they like?
    dunno

Almera - The wife had a '00 1.5: Comfortable, nice handling but the gearing is arseways. Constant gear changes unless you're on a motorway, no power in 5th, often have to go down to 3rd or even 2nd to overtake.

Corolla - Strongly recommended, great car and will go round the world several times without an oil change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

96+ Civic has a factory immoboliser and can't be stolen without the key (or a flat bed truck). An alarm is recommended on any car and most older cars will have had one fitted by a previous owner, especially in urban areas.

Without assuming there's an insurance penalty for driving a Civic, find out for yourself. I know several people with Civics and none have been "loaded" in the last 5 years. My wife's '03 Civic was cheaper to insure than her old '01 Almera.

I would of never considered an almera, but theres some lovely ones on carzone

eg

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=530967

much prefer the newer shape, although id try find something with less mileage so the budget will have to be streched a little

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gurgle wrote:

The reason they are hard to find is that nobody bought them. The 1.2 litre Ecotec engine is too small for the Astra.

bazz26 wrote:
    The reason they are hard to find is that nobody bought them. The 1.2 litre Ecotec engine is too small for the Astra.

Ive heard that from a few people.

I found something im really liking, its well within my budget, its japensese and it looks good. What do you think of the mazda 323F? Heres a link to a few that took my fancy, although they all seem to be high on mileage:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=524108

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=490740

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=488439

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=526821

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=531576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My advice for the very first car is to buy as cheap as possible while still trying to get something not too buggered ...never mind what it is exactly.

You will make mistakes, you will dent and scrape the yoke. It'll be so much less painful on an old banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

The perfect first car. And you'll probably want to keep it for the rest of your life.

kimber.jpg

There is nothing cooler in that price range, size, and look.

Ah id love a mini, although im 6'3 and id look like your man from the simpsons driving the VW beetle that nelson laughs at :)

So whats your opinions on the mazda 323f, its only about 2300 so its cheap and therefore i wouldnt mind if i put the odd scratch and dent into it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ah id love a mini, although im 6'3 and id look like your man from the simpsons driving the VW beetle that nelson laughs at :)

So whats your opinions on the mazda 323f, its only about 2300 so its cheap and therefore i wouldnt mind if i put the odd scratch and dent into it

Before getting your hopes up on a specific car too much, try and find a ballpark figure for what your insurance will be on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Ive heard that from a few people.

I found something im really liking, its well within my budget, its japensese and it looks good. What do you think of the mazda 323F?

They're all 1.5. You're probably not going to keep your first car very long so employ the old saying "The day you buy is the day you sell"...in other words get something that'll be easy to sell on i.e small engined Micra, Starlet, Fiesta etc

Wouldn't be too worried about it being feminine looking as no-one is bothered and couldn't care less. First car I had was a poverty spec 1.0 Corsa City....kept it for 8 months and sold it on for the same price I paid for it

Id rather get a nice car that i could keep for a year or 2. I just recieved my ssia and started a decent job, i also love cars there my passion and thus id like something with a bit of class and style. I think its gonna be the mazda 323f, i got an insurance quote for 1500 and its a 1.5, so i dont mind paying the extra 250euro that i would be paying if i got a punto

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice car the 323F, the http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=526821 one has been to the moon and back but looks to be the pick of the bunch.

If you know anyone thats into their car's i'd get them to check out something like this before buying as a car with that milage could turn into a moneypit.

Tbh get a micra/fiesta/corsa/fabia etc that won't let you down. Get a full license and then get something with more poke.

I started driving one year ago - went corsa - fabia and now am in the market for a 1.8L mondeo, but by now have a full license.

Play it safe starting out and just get experience and a full license and then move up the road a bit ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

You won't go wrong with any Mazda, just make sure you get an alarm for it - they have always been easy to steal unfortunately.

Good engines, reasonable size, comfortable, reliable.

The Mazda 323F is fine car and an excellent joice as a first car. They are well capable of high mileage like most cars as long as they are looked after properly.

Here is a nice one, it is a 1998 one of the last of that kind:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=529842

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

peasant wrote:
    My advice for the very first car is to buy as cheap as possible while still trying to get something not too buggered ...never mind what it is exactly.

You will make mistakes, you will dent and scrape the yoke. It'll be so much less painful on an old banger.

the man has a point - don't spend over a grand on your first car, if you end up writing it off, you're left without a car and no dosh to replace it (put the other 2k away for your next car!)
    take a trip around to your local garages, they might have gotten in an older "less desirable" car as part exchange and wanna offload it quickly.
    jap cars are the best to go for; although any car with a long nct on it shouldn't be turned down
    my personal recommendation would be a diesel diahatsu charade - reliable, cheap to run and insure and a nippy little car!
    good luck

• Advertisement

Ye Bazz that was a nice mazda but unfortunatly its sold. im definetly going to go for one of them, there exactly what I want, im only going to spend 2k on one so im hardly breaking the bank. I dont paying that bit extra for a car i know il love and can be proud, as opposed to something id be embaressed to show my mates and work collegues.

theres a few knocking about at the 2k price. There realible,look good, comfortable and cheap. My mates a mechanic and he said i should go for one and he'll come with me to have a look over it

Its also good to hear nobody has said anything bad about them. So if anyone knows anyone selling one (preferbly with alloys) let me know!

Lads my mechanic mate just had a look at this one as it was the one i was most intrested in. (I rang the bloke and all and was gonna meet him at the weekend). and straight away he spotted that one of the doors and side front panels is slightly a different colour to the rest of the car, meaning that its more than likely been crashed. He spotted it straight away and I can see it to now but maybe its just the sun, what do yous think?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=524108

Dam it was a good price too, but im sure thats probly why.

Edit: link fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

link doesn't work for me.

323f is a good choice, especially when you're a tall guy. if you can't find one, don't restrict yourself to hatches. saloons are vastly better value.
    think about a 626 or find a 1.6 carina and you won't be going wrong. safer, more comfortable and probably half the price of equivalent corrolla and arguably a better all round proposition. i'd bet the insurance will be downright reasonable. you'll never know til you check. fuel and tax differences are negligable in reality.
    there's no point in buying a learner's car when you can just buy a car. either of the cars below will be still be running strong and respectable long after you've learned to drive, thus taking away the pressure to change if you don't want to.

ps i wouldn't be too put off by mismatched paint. most cars get painted at some stage. most of the time, damage is only cosmetic. my dad's '06 bimmer has been to the panel beaters twice.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=389986

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395035

So what do yous think? Am i asking for trouble if it got a smack? Looks like a good repair job was done on it if it was crashed though...

So what do yous think? Am i asking for trouble if it got a smack? Looks like a good repair job was done on it if it was crashed though...

It really depends what kind of smack it got. A small accident may only have damaged the door and wing ie a scrape or couple of dents. A serious impact could have resulted in the chassis being bent out of line or a damaged front wheel axel. What does the car drive like? Is it pulling to one side? Is the steering wobbly, etc. Check the wear on the tyre threads, is the thread wear evenly spread across the tyre or partially worn? Note that this is harder to tell if the tyres are pretty new. It might be a good idea if you know a good panel beater for him to give it a look over especially around the painted panels and underneath the car for signs of structural damage. Also check for uneven welding joints too.

As with any car if in doubt about anything then just walk away, you will always find another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

That 323F is in Donegal, and clearly owned by a modification fan, given the after-market body kit. Donegal is pretty much the home of boy racers, so it could be a long journey for a tired dog. Just sayin'.

Nice looking car though, and pretty restrained for a yoke with added plastic bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gurgle wrote:

Are you on drugs?

Every time i look at that mazda, (the first one in white in the links) i think ive never seen a more perfect car that would suit me. But then i look at the possible crash damage, the donegal location (as was said home of boy racers and country roads where the ****e would be driven out of it), the quite high mileage and i think i must refrain from buying it as its asking for trouble.

But i absoulutly love it.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

colm_mcm wrote:
    Are you on drugs?
    Not at the moment.
    Have you a point to make?

• Advertisement

Im off to look at a 323F 2mrw, anything i should keep an eye out for/known issues with them? Its got 100k on the clock too, is that to much do you think?

Advertisement