Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to set-up wireless network in new apt?

• 25-10-2006 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Ok just moved into a sweet new gaff with some mates and need to set-up a wireless network.

Setup and equipment as follows:

NTL cable broadband + modem
    Belkin G4 wireless router
    Belkin 125mbps wireless adaptor
    Desktop pc
    Laptop (with wireless built in)

The modem and router are both in the living room as this is where the NTL point is. The desktop is in my bedroom and the laptop could be anywhere as it is used by everyone living here. I've got the net working fine on both the laptop and the desktop so all I want to do now is to link them together so that I can swap / share files and browse between the two computers as if they were one.

I've tried setting up a wireless network using the windows configurator but to no avail (as in I don't really know what I'm doing as this wireless thing is all new to me!)

I'm running XPSP 1 on the desktop and use Zonealarm and Norton for security. On the laptop I'm running XPSP2 along with Zonealarm and an out-of-date copy of Norton Security/anti-virus.

I just want a basic fool-proof guide on getting this set-up as described above.

Thanks in advance for any help!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

First things first. Turn off and disable the firewalls on both computers. Just for the moment to take them out of the equation

Now, make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup. In Windows Explorer, right click on MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. Choose the COMPUTER NAME tab and then click the CHANGE button.

Make sure that the computers have unique names and that the WORKGROUP is IDENTICAL.

Then, in Windows Explorer, right click on the folders you want to share and choose SHARING AND SECURITY. Follow the instructions.

That should be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Thanks that worked!

Too slow though to be of any use really... pity :(

Giles wrote:
    Thanks that worked!

Too slow though to be of any use really... pity :(

Define slow. At home, I can transfer a 400MB file from one machine [upstairs] to another machine [downstairs] in about 3 or 4 minutes [depending on circumstances, maybe upto 7 or 8 minutes].

You will NEVER get cable speed [100MBps] over wireless.

If you are getting much much slower speeds than I have mentioned above, there maybe something wrong.

Are their many obstacles between the wireless router and your wireless computer? metal substances? hard concrete walls?
    When "discovering" your wireless access point, do you notice any other wireless networks close to you? If so, change your wireless to use a different chanel to the rest. As far away as posible. If they are using channel 1, you use channel 5 or 6 etc.

Oh, one thing to note. My PC [Upstairs] is wired to the router. saving me have of my available bandwidth. If your PC is close to the router, consider running a cable bewteen them. Your laptop should transfer much quicker.

If you are using wireless for all of your computers, you will NEVER achieve full utilisation of your broadband. You will max out at about 150 to 200KBps [assuming you have a broadband connection faster than 2Mb]. Wiring your main PC to the router would be the best way to go.

Let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

You will max out at about 150 to 200KBps....

You should be getting a lot better than that. On 802.11b 11Mbs, I typically get close to 600KBps. Obviously signal strength may be a reason for 150-200KBps.

Paul.

Maints wrote:
    You will max out at about 150 to 200KBps....

You should be getting a lot better than that. On 802.11b 11Mbs, I typically get close to 600KBps. Obviously signal strength may be a reason for 150-200KBps.

Paul.

Yeah, that speed measurement I did was a good few months ago. Since them, I've actually doubled or trebled that speed. I can now stream films from upstairs to downstairs with no stuttering which is brilliant.

I think a big factor is that I ONLY have 802.11g devices on the network at themoment, rather than g and b mixed. I have also changed the AP channels so that they are not overlapping.

Works a treat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement