Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when are threads for one person only (a.k.a. private)?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

On Christianity forum, JimiTime opened a new thread.

I added a post asking some more questions. However, a few minutes later I see a PM from BrianCalgary saying this.
    JimiTime's thread

Hey BV

I deleted your post from this Chriatianity thread, because I wish to leave that one to JimiTimes questions alone.

Feel free to start your own thread asking your questions if you'd like.

Thanks
    Brian

After that I created a new thread saying this.
    babyvaio wrote:
    Since when are threads for one person only??
    I added a few Qs of my own to Jimi's new thread however BrianC deleted my post. Here's the PM I've got from him.

Now Brian, please don't delete this, if you do, you will only show the triple or quadriple standards that you invented yourself for some of the people here on the forum. That is unfare, at least to say.
    Are you making this forum to be your private one? I didn't think so, you don't have such an authority.

I made an effort designing those Qs and you just shot them like in the old wild west times. This is not a showdown.

After that, BrianCalgary deleted my new thread. I got a new PM saying this.
    Thread
    C'mon BV

PM me if you have a problem.

All I ask is that you begin a new thread with your questions. I believe it will maintain order.

My responsibility as a moderator is to maintain a certain decorum on the board.

Let us maintain our manners.

Thanks
    Brian

So please, I ask everybody, who wasn't maintaining his manners? Did I brake the rules just bcos I added - in a polite manner - a few more questions to what JimiTime originally asked - or BrianCalgary for removing my Qs?

PS I'm saving this as a copy of what was going on and making a copy of this on other sub-forum where other people can see it.

I posted it here and will post it in all sub-forums under Religion & Spirituality.
    I kindly ask the moderators on Christianity sub-forum to explain this.
    Thank you, BV
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Threads questioning the forum moderators decision are better suited to feedback. You posted in the christianity forum when you could have simply replied to your first PM from the moderator. You also posted a PM in public which wasn't very nice.

You could have just simply done as you were asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

Threads questioning the forum moderators decision are better suited to feedback. You posted in the christianity forum when you could have simply replied to your first PM from the moderator. You also posted a PM in public which wasn't very nice.

You could have just simply done as you were asked.

I don't agree. Maybe the idea of the PM was to make me silent and to swallow the stone?

Nice or not, that's just a personal opinion, we all have different ideas of what that might be.

And my post shut down just like that was a nice thing to do or ...?

PS I don't think U got me in the first place - I continued with the thread - my Qs were thread related, not moderator related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

In fairness, it's not as if the mod in question said that you couldn't post your questions on the forum. He/she obviously thought you would be better off starting another thread with your specific questions instead of using an existing one. I don't know what the original thread was or what your questions were but the mod may have thought they brought the thread off-topic and therefore a new thread would have been better. It can save the thread from becoming messy and difficult to read.

The PM from the mod was polite and your reaction (starting a thread on the mod's decision) was unnecessary and rather over the top. You should have PM'd the mod with your complaint and then, if still unsatisfied, posted here. Also, publicly posting PM's unnecessarily is incredibly rude.

You are not being silenced in the slightest. You were simply asked to start your own thread on the subject. I fail to see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

In fairness, it's not as if the mod in question said that you couldn't post your questions on the forum. He/she obviously thought you would be better off starting another thread with your specific questions instead of using an existing one. I don't know what the original thread was or what your questions were but the mod may have thought they brought the thread off-topic and therefore a new thread would have been better. It can save the thread from becoming messy and difficult to read.

The PM from the mod was polite and your reaction (starting a thread on the mod's decision) was unnecessary and rather over the top. You should have PM'd the mod with your complaint and then, if still unsatisfied, posted here. Also, publicly posting PM's unnecessarily is incredibly rude.

You are not being silenced in the slightest. You were simply asked to start your own thread on the subject. I fail to see the problem.

OK, I'll give you an example (so that you can see my Qs were not off-topic).
    1st of all, this is the original thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007318

So the originator of the thread asked this i.e., quoting:

3. Do you believe in the trinity? if yes, please explain what your explanation of it is.

One of my Qs was like this:

How come if Jesus is what Christians believe he is, that his name is not mentioned in the Old Testament?

Now does it looks like off-topic? Or offensive? I honestly don't think so.

BTW, the mod PM was "polite" but his action (of deleting my post) was far from polite, in fact - it was more rude than my thing with disclosing his polite PM here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Sorry babyvaio, but IMO I think BrianCalgary was being fair. He asked you to make your own thread.

I don't see the problem either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't see what the problem is here, you were notified of your posts being deleted and asked to start a new thread. That should have been the end of it. Your questions that you posted, peachypants suggested that the mod may have thought they were off topic. I reckon he was just trying to keep the thread clean for discussion, not other questions to be added. I don't think its too much trouble to start a new thread of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The purpose of the post was to have christians on the forum answer those questions. Maybe both the OP and the mod wanted the responses to just be answers to those questions (this would also keep the thread from getting messy). If this was the case then your post was off-topic.

Why not just start your own thread? It's not as though all questions relating to christianity have to be contained in that one thread.

*edit*
    BTW, the mod PM was "polite" but his action (of deleting my post) was far from polite, in fact - it was more rude than my thing with disclosing his polite PM here.

Going to have to disagree with you there. It's the moderater's job to keep things running as smoothly as possible on the forum they mod. BrianCalgary was just doing his job. Your post was off-topic and your following thread had no place on the forum. He was right to delete them. He had the decency to PM you about it and, from what you've shown, was nothing but polite even when you started your thread on his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

wHAT THINK YE OF CHRIST!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Seems like straightforward & polite modding to me.
    Posting contents of a private message will send you straight to hell though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You were asked to start a new thread, where exactly is the problem here?
    It's not like you aren't getting to voice your opinion. :/
    Whinging for the sake of whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=526

He's just spamming every forum with this a copy of this thread now. Good way to get yourself banned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ciaran500 wrote:
    He's just spamming every forum with this a copy of this thread now. Good way to get yourself banned.

I have just had to clean up that mess.
    I recommend the Mods of all the different religion forums ban babyvaio for spamming his crap in all the forums bar Islam.

I suggest babyvaio that you take a week off to chill out.
    I don't appreciate having to clean up your mess and I won't be doing it again, I'll just site ban you for a month instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Whinging for the sake of whinging.

What? On boards? I refuse to believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Beruthiel wrote:
    I recommend the Mods of all the different religion forums ban babyvaio for spamming his crap in all the forums bar Islam.
    I agree and have cat-banned him from the Religion / Spirituality category until such a time as I get the feeling he has aquired a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's a dark day indeed when God starts spamming boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

From what i can see there were 9 questions raised, and BV raised another 5 or so.

From a mod point of view, if people were replying to the original 9 questions and there was debate on those replies and the questions then that's a thread.

The other questions, their replies and the debate on those replies would confuse the issues and the thread would get a little lost, hence the mods decision to delete them and ask the op to create a new thread where all those replies and discussions can take place. That seems logical and fair.

Maybe what should have been done was for BV's posts to be cut from the original thread and used to create a new thread by the mod instead of deleating them and asking him to re-post them. I say this as it appears that BV was annoyed by their deleation as he couldnt remember the questions properly to recreate them.

However, when he did create the new thread it was actually an attack on the mod, and then he spammed it to people who probably didnt need to know about it and then we get this stuff "private forum, blah blah".

Look, the mod did the best he could in the cicumstances, it's not as if you've been victimised. We're all human.

I see you've contracted a slight touch of "the ban" maybe you can think about things for the week you're off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

A week?

"Until such a time as I get the feeling he has aquired a clue." could well be a week. It could well be less. It may be that I will die of old age first. This is up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭T-1111111111111

Kings in their little dirty kingdom :p

I hope Ur enjoying it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For future reference, threads containing questions such as "Why was my thread locked?", "Why am I banned?", "Who deleted my thread?", and "I never knew threads were for one person only", belong in a moderator's PM inbox, or here, on Feedback. You don't start a thread on a board asking these questions, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

amp wrote:
    wHAT THINK YE OF CHRIST!
    Hes cool, but nothing compared to cake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

yeah but what ye think of Chris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

yeah but what ye think of Chris?
    He's no Christ.

Advertisement