Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Drive time talk show?

• 25-10-2006 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

I'd go with The right hook.

I especialy liked the time hooky told the audience where he lost his virginity
    I doubt rachel English would do that! Plus the contributors are top notch (especialy the travel guy)

The last word has gone off the radar, I'm sure Matt coopers wife even thinks he's a moron.

5-7 live is ok, but I'm just not interested when they spend 5-10 mins telling me that 2yr old heffers are making 5c less per kilo than yesterday....etc etc :p

What's the best Drive Time talk show? 24 votes

Drive Time (RTÉ Radio 1)
    0% 0 votes
    The Right Hook (Newstalk)
    8% 2 votes
    The Last Word (Today FM)
    33% 8 votes
    Other (Local stations/community stations etc)
    58% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The Last Word for me, its just a better overall show really interesting and is not personality driven like george hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

The last word for me also,
    Matt cooper is really growing on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

miketv wrote:
    Matt cooper is really growing on me.
    they have creams for that now.

have to say Hookie, Matt Cooper is good i just like hookies character, he'll more often walk himself into confusion with his approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The Right Hook FTW! Don't like that American dude that comes on on Fridays though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I will say that listening to Mary Wilson again these last few days, she's blended into the role very well. I disagree that calling a 3 hour show "Drivetime" when the last 90 are not news driven is correct, but if it was 5-7 Live mark 2, I'd be happier.

Also, if Des Cahill must have some phone book when all he does is ring his golf buddies....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Can't agree with you on the Mary Wilson bit. Stilted delivery ,absolutely no ability to do things on the fly.

Cahill can't get any rapport with her . He got her into conversation about the Germain Defoe bite incident the other night and her response was "..did..did he leave any marks?" Cahill cannot make head of tail of her.

He is far more happy dealing with the "fellas" and the "lads" Roih roih "An I suppose the auld credih card got a hammerin" Snnorrt roih!!! "You went for two days and stayed a week, fair play to you Snooorth roih".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I listen to the Lat Word most of the time, Matt Cooper has really improved in the past 2 yaers I think, he was very poor a while back.
    I think 2 of his stand ins do wery well also, Anton Savage and the Linenhhan guy from the Irish Times, sometime I reckon they should get rid of Cooper and put Savage in their full time.

Can't really warm to Hook, maybe it's cos I hate rugby. Is it true that he uses a rugby metaphor for all and every event\sceanrio\opinion that happens in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Can't agree with you on the Mary Wilson bit. Stilted delivery ,absolutely no ability to do things on the fly.

I think she is improving. I'm not saying she's the most fluid presenter, but she's a lot better than when she started out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If I listen to a drive time news type show (and I don't do it often enough - mostly because I'm working or on the radio myself), it will have to be the Last Word.

This should have been a poll, tbh... options could have been:
    • The Last Word - Today FM
    • Drive Time - RTÉ Radio One
    • The Right Hook - Newstalk 106-108
    • On The QT - Dublin's Q102
    • Something Else

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You want a poll? You get a poll!

I've put in the 3 national broadcasters and then an option for other for any show from various regions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I think Matt Cooper has gone from strength to strength, and has made the show much better than Dunphy ever did. He regularly goes in hard on both sides of an argument equally, without losing credibility, and the show is brilliant as a result.

Hook is brilliant on TV with Brent Pope, but The Last Word is essential listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Used to be an avid 5-7Live listener, but just cannot warm to Mary Wilson...So I've made the switch to George Hook.

Can't stand Matt Cooper. If you listen closely, you can hear his nose whistling as he breathes through it when the interviewee is talking. Sad, but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

5-7 live or The Last Word for me, really don't like George Hook at all and I'm not sure why, he just bugs the hell out of me! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The Last Word for me, but only when Matt Cooper is doing it, his replacements dont do it for me, I tend to switch over if they are presenting.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Matt Cooper for me also. Can't stand Hook's voice! :)

Advertisement