Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card fraud after using 7dayshop?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I have cut way down on my credit card usage, in fact in the last 2 months all i've used it for was to pay my college fees in September(over the phone) and to buy an item off 7dayshop at the start of last week.

I checked my online banking yesterday and noticed two fraudulent transactions made last weekend - one for train tickets bought online in the UK, and another for an adult website pass. I rang my bank and they said there were other pending transactions, all made online.

I seriously doubt this could be a result of someone in my college taking my credit card number, because you need the CSV number to buy things online almost everywhere - the same would go for someone taking a credit card receipt out of the bin, although I never throw out intact credit card receipts.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, it's very odd.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nope, have never had an issue with 7dayshop but if it happens in my case it is all my banks fault anyway since they got rid of the single use disposable cards .

Its possible that 7day never actually had the cc details on their own system but passed them straight thru to a payment processor of some sort who actually leaked the data . There is quite a lot of serious data leakage out of the UK finance system nowadays and its their own fault for being complete cheapskates, see

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2383227,00.html

and its cvv number eth0 not csv number :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

eth0_ wrote:
    and another for an adult website pass.

Whome ever did this is a right wanker!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Whome ever did this is a right wanker!

ba-dum-tish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'd just add ive never had a problem with 7day either. 10+ purchases in the last 2 years

Still a good thing you noticed before your card was maxed out!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

eth0_ wrote:

I checked my online banking yesterday and noticed two fraudulent transactions made last weekend - one for train tickets bought online in the UK, and another for an adult website pass. I rang my bank and they said there were other pending transactions, all made online.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, it's very odd.

Used my CC once in Spain (Barcelona) & was plagued with fraudlent transcations almost immediately. Ba$stards used it to buy tickets + order stuff over the phone in Spain, Italy & UK.

Card got stopped by the CC company almost immediately, took them 2 weeks to get a letter out.

All it takes is one scumbag merchant to pass on the CC# to his dodgy mates & in countries where they don't use PIN's you can order most things by phone. Many shops don't even check the name on the card.

They only got rumbled when a merchant requested a name check & the names did not match.

Will never use CC abroad in places that don't do chip 'n PIN anymore, except for hotels/airline.

• Advertisement

I'm going to Barcelona next weekend, so I will be very careful!
    Is chip+pin not so widespread in Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Used 7dayshop fo rthe 1st time just a week or 2 ago.

No other transactions have appeared on my card yet

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

eth0_ wrote:
    I'm going to Barcelona next weekend, so I will be very careful!
    Is chip+pin not so widespread in Spain?

No chip + pin in Spain, where as France is almost 100% & has been so for years!

In Spain you'll need your passport/driving licence/other photo ID with you as you may be asked for ID when using the CC.

However, that won't stop what happened to me :mad:

I'd reccommend you be real careful & ensure you keep all receipts.
    Try not to let the card out of sight.

Also (if your CC provider allows it) check online every few days for pending transactions, make sure the figure adds up to what you have in receipts.

The scum started leaching from mine with a tiny transaction first, got bolder when the transactions were allowed. Eventually, ran up a few thousand €, CC provide took care of it, but it was hassle I could do without.

Since I only used the CC once, I was able to point the finger at the merchant, hope he gets his card licence revoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Always way more apprehensive of giving CC details to some randomer over the phone as I am about entering them on an SSL payment server.

I've used 7dayshop loads of times over the past two years without so much as a missing package let alone card fraud.

If it were me I'd look into the college payment and find out who or where was processing that payment...

Wertz wrote:
    If it were me I'd look into the college payment and find out who or where was processing that payment...

Don't see how it could possibly related to my college fees, the fraudulent purchases were all made online, and would have required the security code on the back of the card, which you don't give over the phone when buying something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I recall off hand a fair few UK shopping sites that don't require the verification code, instead just opting for the expiry date.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You can use Play without a CVV

Advertisement