Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Order Cancellation

Options
  • 25-10-2006 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Last Monday I purchased a number of the same item from a well established, Irish online store. I entered my credit card details etc., they were verified and I received the confirmation email, complete with receipt. At the time of purchase, there were 159 of the item in stock. I contacted a friend of mine, who purchased 2 of the item himself.
    Yesterday, I logged into the website, only to find my order had been cancelled. I still haven't received and email as to why this happened. However, my friend did receive a reply:

As you might have realised the price of the ***** was priced wrongly during
    the weekend. The correct price is now reflected on the website. If you would
    like to go ahead with this order please reply to this email and I can have
    the difference charged to the card, otherwise we will be cancelling the
    orders for this ***** at 2pm this afternoon.

If I walked into a furniture shop, picked out a couch and purchased it by credit card, could they tell me they can't deliver it because they changed their mind on the price? Have I a case here?

The reason I'm not mentioning names here is so I don't give the retailer a head start. Btw, not enough time has gone by for the transaction to show up on my credit card statement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's standard practice online not to fulfil orders where the price advertised on the site was in error. For example, there have been quite a few cases where Dell have mis-priced something and when the problem was discovered have sent out noficications like you received. If my memory serves me correctly the only case where anyone gets the item at the correct price is if it is shipped to them and is in their posession.

Based on the wording of the above I take it that the item was priced significantly below what they say is the normal price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You only have a comeback if money is taken off your card, if they cancel before then (Dell normally spot the problem before the money is taken) then you have no comeback.

If they do take money off the card then they must deliver the product.

Komplett have behaved perfectly honourably in that respect in my experience as well as cancelling my 'orders' and emailing me before money was taken :D

The receipt does not man any money has been taken off your card at that moment in time or that it cannot be 'charged back' (nullifed so it never happened for accounting purposes)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

Thanks for this, suppose companies have to be protected to some degree too.
    Based on the wording of the above I take it that the item was priced significantly below what they say is the normal price.

Lets just say it's hard to resist a 20 for the price of 1 deal!!!

Advertisement