Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding Bike on Luas?

Options
  • 25-10-2006 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 37 Aviator55

As a refugee from the M50, I am considering a cycling/Luas commute, with about three miles cycling each way.
    Would it be feasable to pack a folding bike on board? Where could I get a reasonable one, preferebly second-hand?
    (Be nice to give the finger to NTR)

Comments

there's barely enough room on the LUAS during peak times for people, let alone bikes.

Might seem ridiculous at first, but how about buying two cheap bikes, and have one for the first stretch, and one for the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

afaik, folding bikes are allowed on the luas - i've certainly seen them. something that folds small and fast like a brompton will be most convenient

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cycle Superstore has a folding bike for e380.

What route are you taking? Maybe disclosing that will get more advice, possibly from people who know the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Aviator55

Looks good, thanks for all the advice.
    The schedule would be Bllymun Road to city centre and a mile or so at the far end in Tallaght.
    Not to be confused with the Tour de France but with some uphill on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you have a shower at work maybe you could cycle the whole way.
    Put the addresses into the DTO Journey Planner to see how far it is (it's 10miles from The Square to the bottom of Ballymun Road - not too bad). DCU perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My recommendation would be, if you're buying a folding bike, would be to spend the money on a brompton.
    The reason for this is: most folding bikes have the chain, pedals and back wheel on the same block and a fold-in frame and front wheel. This provides much simpler folding but means that the pedals are very far back on the bike relative to the position of the saddle. Bromptons fold across the chain, meaning the pedals are on the front block instead of the rear, making them much easier (and less stupid-looking) to cycle, but more expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Stick to the Brompton. I have had one for 4 years.

I recon it is a bit expensive but you get outstanding value for money.

You will also find another advantage in this bike if you like touring. As in Dublin you can't carry a normal bike in any train other than the inercity, when you want to tour you need to start cycling from the city or either go to the first stop of the intercity trains (i.e. Drogheda, Kildare).

With a folding you can also start cycling from any other point in between, as you can take them on the conmutter, Luas, Dart, etc.

Just one rule of thumb: never ever park in on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In theory you can't take bikes on Commuter. In practice, its fine at weekends because most Arrow/Commuter stations are unmanned anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

gzoladz wrote:
    Stick to the Brompton. I have had one for 4 years.

I recon it is a bit expensive but you get outstanding value for money.

You will also find another advantage in this bike if you like touring. As in Dublin you can't carry a normal bike in any train other than the inercity, when you want to tour you need to start cycling from the city or either go to the first stop of the intercity trains (i.e. Drogheda, Kildare).

With a folding you can also start cycling from any other point in between, as you can take them on the conmutter, Luas, Dart, etc.

Just one rule of thumb: never ever park in on the street.

curiously, never park on the street because of theft?(surely a good lock would sort this), or knackers think they look stupid and kick the crap out of it?
    oh whats the ave price of a brompton?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I wouldnt know the average price but they are expensive bikes to run the risk of parking them within knacker-distance. Even if they still it they will not be able to enjoy it.

If I know I will be on and off the bike in town I cycle an old crappy looking Raleigh and I do use a good Abus lock.

When I brompton in town I would always fold it up and carry it with me, should I need to go into a shop/pub/similar. Never had a problem although it is not the most comfortable practise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement