Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Console Lighting

Options
  • 25-10-2006 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all,

Just took ownership of 1984 Merc 500SEC, its absolutely perfect bar one thing.

The console lighting does not work which is obviously an issue at night.

Can anyone suggest a cause/ resolution please?

Fuse? Dimmer switch itself? Is there a fuse in the instrunemt cluster itself?

How do I get at the Dimmer switch and a fuse in the console.

Thanks a million,

Ruppert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Hey Ruppert

Nice motor ! I have a '92 230CE myself, and am still finding new "cool" things about it. Eg. the console lights - they're run off the rest of the dash lights, and the dimmer is actually built into the push-reset button for the odometer. Twist that, and the lights will brighten/dim.

Hopefully that is all the problem is ? If not, pull one of the ventilation knobs off and see what shape the bulb is in. Could be they're knackered (23 yr old car, it wouldn't be a surprise).

The interior lights will be run off a fuse that does something else anyway (eg. horn) so that one is easy to figure ie. is there anything else not working ?

Some good sources for Benz parts:

www.kmsparts.co.uk (good range, good prices, but shipping to Ireland is expensive)
    www.mercedesparts.co.uk (also good, but don't know what their shipping is like; they reply to emails to which is VERY handy)

and then the usual www.Otto.ie and www.gsf.com. Haven't bought from them yet, they didn't have what I wanted (headlamp lense, petrol tank sender, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

hey have u checked the actual console bulbs themselves , usually 501's wedge type bulbs, exactly the same as side lights , im pretty sure they might be blown if not excahnged since car is new.

on a sidenote, its not a beige coloured 500sec is it? some guy i know just sold an 84 one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ruppert

Thanks guys for the replies.

No its not a beige one, its silver/ blue.

Should have made it more clear but none of the lights in the dash are actually working! Console, gear box etc.. so unlikely that all bulbs gone simultaneously?

I'll have a good look in the fuse box later.

Any other suggestions very welcome.

Thanks again,

Ruppert

Advertisement