Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPCA reported!

Options
  • 25-10-2006 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

I got the news yesterday that a Swedish Animal Welfare organisation has reported the Sligo SPCA to the ISPCA because of mistreatement of dogs.
    The last dog they got had muscle waste due to starvation. 3 dogs had Parvo.

Finally somebody who steps up. I know what is going on within the SSPCA but as I don't have any proof but only iside information from somebody who worked for them, I couldn't do anything.

Hopefully now this person will have the courage to stand up and tell the ISPCA exactly what goes on at the SSPCA.

The SSPCA was great and perfect till they changed management a couple of years ago and then it went downhill very quick.

I hope the ISPCA will do something against an organisation who says they are for Animal welfare and get grants for doing so, but don't act like it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Well look at all the negative coverage the CSPCA has got as well.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2000/12/28/current/ipage_3.htm
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2000/12/28/current/ipage_3.htm

Once upon a time i supported the ISPCA, i actually don't now. I support the Animal Care Society in Cork instead, they really seem to value their ethos.

Once upon a time i found a beautiful german shepard running around the streets in Cork, I watched him for a while and he appeared to be lost, wasnt going anywhere in particular etc, so i befriended him and got him to follow me to the CSPCA who took him in. I went in the next day to check to see how he was getting on, when i asked all they told me was he's not in the shelter and they couldnt find the paperwork for him. (I wonder where he went)

Anyway i was only Living in Cork a few months so i did not know anything about them, until after this incident. Never again. I still think about that poor dog and what he met from me bringing him into the shelter.

Thankgod when my dog went missing, twice, she didnt end up in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Padangel

As the founder of the organisation in Sweden that you claim have reported the SSPCA I would like to know where you got this information?
    Yes, a lurcher bitch was very thin when she arrived in Sweden but we have taken dogs in far worse condition from other rescues, not to mention a lot of the dogs we get from dog pounds.
    And yes, a litter of pups came down with parvo a few days after arrival in Sweden, but they did not come from the SSPCA and I don't think there are any rescues in Ireland that didn't have dogs with parvo at some stage. We took these pups knowing that they were not vaccinated and well aware of the risks involved. Five puppies got sick, one died and four recovered and are now ready to go to their new homes this weekend.

I cannot say anything about how the SSPCA is run as I have never been there myself, we have rehomed many dogs from there through a wonderful volounteer but I haven't had any contact with the management at all.

We have never reported any Irish rescue organisation and have no plans to do so.

Slander like this will not help anyone, especially not the dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Hi,

Slander, what slander. As you say yourself, you don't know the SSPCA. I do and since the management changed it's a disgrace.
    And if you say you would never, NEVER report an SPCA, then to me, that indicates that you don't care how they work and that they are beyond suspicion. Don't tell me you also belong to the "WE KNOW IT ALL AND YOU KNOW NOTHING" group. That would be very disappointed.

Probably your volunteer is our best friends friend and she got it from that friend. We too know her very well and she is absolutely not to blame for what happens at the SSPCA as she is not part of the management. She feels helpless that she can't do anything. She herself does a great job. No bad word about her.

I was told that the Swedish organisation was advised to ask the vet for the medical report of the dog (I thought it was a crossbreed Scottish Deerhound?), and send this to the ISPCA.

If my information was incorrect, then I lied in commision, but I won't apologize because I know how they work at the SSPCA and that has nothing, NOTHING!! to do with Animal Welfare at all.

If the Swedish organisation doesn't report to the ISPCA, which would be very regretable as you do care for animals I pressume, then I feel very, very sorry for all the animals at the SSPCA.

Your organisation has the power and the proof to help future SSPCA animals. Shame you don't do it.

Regards

PS. I just checked your website and your volunteer is M and she does a great job, but is tied with hand and feed to do more for the animals at the SSPCA. I don't slander, I just tell how it is.

PS 2. We took a lovely white kitten from M a few months ago. It has three legs. When she brought it she told us that all the cats at the SSPCA had ringworm but that she had kept the little one away from it. After a few weeks we found out that the little one had ringworm to. "The worst case ever", our vet told us. She lighted up as a Xmas tree. We have 10 cats ourself and 3 dogs. We got it ourself, 7 out of 10 cats got it, all the dogs got it. All the treatment costs us more then €800.00 so far and the little one still has it. We had to build a special kennel to keep the animals seperated. We never ever blamed M. It's the SSPCA's fault.
    They didn't treated all their cats the way it should.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement