Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Pardew be sacked

• 25-10-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a West Ham supporter, but after losing last night to Chesterfield , is it time for Alan Pardew to be sacked from West Ham ?
    They are on a rotten run , have a class squad , and i feal if they don't change manager they might go down .
    I fancy Alan Curbishley to take over , might put a few bob on that :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

After 8 defeats in a row he has to be hanging by a thread at this stage. It's surprising they're doing so badly as on paper they appear to have a decent side. I'd say either himself or Glenn Roeder would be favourites for the chop at this stage, though I would fancy West Ham to turn it around with a new man on board (possibly Curbishley).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are they playing badly or are they being unlucky? Or both? If they are'nt playing well is it down to general lack of effort/skill or is it down to tactics/selection?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i reckon hes got 2 games to get results,if not its bye bye imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

mike65 wrote:
    Are they playing badly or are they being unlucky? Or both? If they are'nt playing well is it down to general lack of effort/skill or is it down to tactics/selection?

You can't put 8 defeats in a row (and no wins in the last 11) down to anything but under-performing. They still haven't won whilst Tevez and Mascherano have been there, coincidence?

The new boys havnt played every game have they?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Would be harsh to fire him now, he has done a good job overall and can still turn things around.
    They havent been getting hammered :D in the games they have lost, the games were all very close and all they need is a bit of luck to get a result.
    We could take Moyes as an example as why he should be given a bit more time

mike65 wrote:
    The new boys havnt played every game have they?

Mike.

One or other of them have played in every league game bar one I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

To be fair to Pardew he had done a fantastic job with WH up until this season. I would also think that his hands were somewhat tied with the Tevez/Maschereno deal, which has no doubt upset the applecart somewhat.

I think these two players are a classic example of "Championship Mananger" syndrome. How many United fans were all screaming for the multi-million pound signing of Maschereno? Expecting him to totally transform their midfield. And what has he done? SFA.

These players are talented no doubt, but obviously finding it harder than people would have thought. And apparently only English players are overrated :rolleyes:

I'd be disappointed for Pardew if he got the bullet, because he is a good manager, but you live and die by your results, and so far his have been shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    One or other of them have played in every league game bar one I think.

Neither of them played last night -- in the humiliation !!
    I think Pardew is a decent manager , but seams to struggle at the top level !
    A top manager should be able to integrate Tevez and Mascharona into the team, rather than looking for an excuse.
    I'd say Arsene Wenger would use them wisely !

thebaz wrote:
    Neither of them played last night -- in the humiliation !!
    I think Pardew is a decent manager , but seams to struggle at the top level !
    A top manager should be able to integrate Tevez and Mascharona into the team, rather than looking for an excuse.
    I'd say Arsene Wenger would use them wisely !

He did very well for Reading, doing a lot of the groundwork for Steve Coppell. They were 2nd in the table when he left.

West Ham finished 9th last season and reached the cup final, which is a fantastic achievement.

I just don't know whats gone wrong for them this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You boards people are gas. Every day you're calling for someone else to be sacked.

Jol Out/Rafa Out/Roeder Out! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Tevez in fairness has been lively when he's play, he's a striker though so if he's bearly getting a touch of the ball, how do you expect him to perform?

Mascherano on the otherhand should be in the thick of the action as a "tough tackling" defensive midfielder. Anytime he's played though, the match has just passed him by.

sjones wrote:
    You boards people are gas. Every day you're calling for someone else to be sacked.

I don't think anyone here has actually called for Pardew to be sacked...

So a thread entitled "Should Pardew be sacked" hasn't raised the question as to whether he should be sacked?

Grow some skin lads and give the managers a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

mike65 wrote:
    If they aren’t playing well is it down to general lack of effort/skill or is it down to tactics/selection?

Mike.

Well, as the old adage goes: the buck stops here! And by that I mean there, at the manager's desk… err!

Even a bad squad can grind out the results if the manager is tactically astute AND he instils belief and a zeal for victory into the players. Yes, easier said than done. I realise that people may think that it is up to the players as individuals to motivate themselves to give the magiacal '110%' - true of course - but then again, every leader should have the capability of stirring passion (for winning that is :)) in his team (threats; rousing speeches; ego stroking... whatever works best) when, for whatever reasons, they can't (are you reading, Stan?).

I'm not a fan of knee-jerk sackings (Real Madrid style), but sometimes, just sometimes, they are justified. I really think loses in the next 2/3 games will seal his fate. However, if they get a couple of wins they'll shoot up the table and the pressure is off... for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In all fairness, Tevez and Mascherano looked great in the world cup, and preformed quite well.
    I don't think it's just down to them that West Ham are unpreforming, to an extent they overpreformed last year anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its not calling for pardew to be sacked but after 8 straight losses including 7 without a goal its asking us the boards posters if we think he should go. Personally i wouldent sack him ATM but 1 or 2 more loses and there might not be a discussion he may just walk, this loss recorder could be terminal for his WHU career is not stopped immediatley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sjones wrote:
    So a thread entitled "Should Pardew be sacked" hasn't raised the question as to whether he should be sacked?

Grow some skin lads and give the managers a chance.

is that not the idea of boards ?
    Raise issues and dicuss the merits or not !

With the squad available for selection last night, the run west ham are on , it is more than reasonable to debate whether Pardew should go or not !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    In all fairness, Tevez and Mascherano looked great in the world cup, and preformed quite well.
    I don't think it's just down to them that West Ham are unpreforming, to an extent they overpreformed last year anyway.

agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's definitely down the manager that they've lost 8 in a row. The players have no confidence and don't believe in themselves. It's up to Roeder to sort that out. I've no doubt when they get a win or 2 they'll be back to the team of last season but the manager has to take the blame for results this season.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    They still haven't won whilst Tevez and Mascherano have been there, coincidence?
    All that Teves and Mascherano did was put extra pressure on the team to perform. They got 2 supposedly world class players and they already had a good team. People expected them to be challenging for the top 5 or 6 places. The failed to win their previous 2 games before Argentinian's joined. They then drew against the only unbeaten team this season. They were going though a bad run and then the pressure on them just multiplied with the additions.

It's 100% down to confidence and Pardew has to sort that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

The honeymoon period is over.
    It happens almost every single season to some team who, beyond all expectation, acheive moderate sucsess with a limited squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ultimately the responsibilty is Pardew's regardless of why they are down there. If he can't motivate the team and set it up to get them out of the hole they are in fast then I think he'll be sacked. I just wonder if Pardew is struggling to figure out what to do to turn this around and is just hoping for some luck.

If someone like Alan Curbishley is willing to take the job then maybe it would be in the club's interest to make the change soon (four more games or less). While I'm not one for knee-jerk sackings I also think that if a situation goes badly wrong at a club a change of management can be the kick it needs in the short term to get them out of relegation trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

As a Hammers fan, here's my 2c worth:
    AP surely based his pre-season training plan around Ashton. A fortnight
    before the season starts, Deano gets a long-term injury. That banjaxes
    the plans the team have been working on.
    Then, having made an OK start, he gets the chance to sign two excellent
    players, who he probably hadn't scouted because he didn't expect to get
    them in his wildest dreams.
    So they turn up on his doorstep and he's not 100% sure how they play,
    where they can play or what they can do. So all he can do is watch them
    in training and give them a go in a few games to develop his thinking.
    I read a quote from Steve Perryman that when Villa & Ardiles arrived,
    two months work went out of the window and they had two weeks to work
    with them before the season started, and that seems to be very similar
    to what's happening with us.
    Nigel Reo-Coker's head is not right. There was an approach for him on deadline day which the club turned down and he is unsettled. Konchesky has lost form. Etherington has been injured and is not yet back to his best.

Personally, I'm still willing to give him time

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dont think he should be sacked and think he will turn it around, 2 argies are world class players but did upset the apple cart and the fact the club doesnt actually pay them would lead me to question their loyalty. The move was to get them to Europe not get them to a team they could play for....

Granted they have injuries but they still have a decent 11 every week so you would have to question the managers plans and training.

Vs Chester
    West Ham: Green, Pantsil, Gabbidon, Ferdinand, McCartney (Konchesky 69), Reo-Coker, Mullins, Dailly, Reid (Etherington 57), Harewood (Sheringham 51), Zamora.
    Subs Not Used: Carroll, Cole.

Vs Spurs
    West Ham: Green, Pantsil, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Konchesky, Benayoun (Cole 78), Mascherano (Tevez 68), Reo-Coker, Mullins, Harewood (Dailly 82), Zamora.
    Subs Not Used: Carroll, Sheringham.

Thats 2 quality teams...... are the players all whinging about the new players? he did buy well with Cole Ashton and others in preparation for the season then gets 2 superstars....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think it'd be harsh to get rid of Pardew this early, but ultimately you live and die by your results so the downward spiral can only go so far before something is done.
    I think he was put in a bit of an awkward position when Tevez and Mascherano arrived, he clearly didn't have a choice in taking them (although in fairness, not a lot of clubs would have declined the offer) and as touched on in some of the above posts, he didn't have time to prepare with them and had to find a way to fit them into the team quickly.
    They still have the same spine of the team that finished in the top half of the Premiership and reached the FA Cup final so they surely have enough in them to turn it around, it's quite an amazing run for a team of their quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

KdjaCL wrote:
    Dont think he should be sacked and think he will turn it around, 2 argies are world class players but did upset the apple cart and the fact the club doesnt actually pay them would lead me to question their loyalty. The move was to get them to Europe not get them to a team they could play for....

Granted they have injuries but they still have a decent 11 every week so you would have to question the managers plans and training.

Vs Chester
    West Ham: Green, Pantsil, Gabbidon, Ferdinand, McCartney (Konchesky 69), Reo-Coker, Mullins, Dailly, Reid (Etherington 57), Harewood (Sheringham 51), Zamora.
    Subs Not Used: Carroll, Cole.

Vs Spurs
    West Ham: Green, Pantsil, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Konchesky, Benayoun (Cole 78), Mascherano (Tevez 68), Reo-Coker, Mullins, Harewood (Dailly 82), Zamora.
    Subs Not Used: Carroll, Sheringham.

Thats 2 quality teams...... are the players all whinging about the new players? he did buy well with Cole Ashton and others in preparation for the season then gets 2 superstars....

kdjac

How many strikers is that, 6 and Ashton to return? And only one goal in eight games! Obviously the argies need more time to settle but will they be gone by xmas?

just spotted this on the BBC,could sven be back in england soon?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/6086972.stm

county wrote:
    just spotted this on the BBC,could sven be back in england soon?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/6086972.stm

Have a look at the main page on paddypower.

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    Have a look at the main page on paddypower.
    thats a cheeky money back special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If anything I would think that the link with Sven would buy Pardew a tiny bit longer in the eyes of supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I hope he gets to stay on and brings them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

AP surely based his pre-season training plan around Ashton. A fortnight
    before the season starts, Deano gets a long-term injury. That banjaxes
    the plans the team have been working on.

Nigel Reo-Coker's head is not right. There was an approach for him on deadline day which the club turned down and he is unsettled. Konchesky has lost form. Etherington has been injured and is not yet back to his best.
    I think these are two very unnoticed influences on the (mis)fortunes of WH this year.

Both of these players had cracking seasons last year, and had even played there way into the England reckoning. Ashton is obviously missed and Reo-Coker has not been hitting the same gears.

WH have some excellent players and they will get it together and probably end up finishing 8th or 9th IMO.

Advertisement