Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part-time job during 2nd/3rd year

Options
  • 25-10-2006 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

i have to work a part time job this year (i'm in 2nd yr) to pay off my debts. i'm starting to worry that it will be impossible to pass the year given that i have barely any spare time to study/do assignments and readings etc. i work at weekends and thurs/fri evenings. and apparently 2nd year counts as much as 3rd yr towards the final degree.

i need advice. do people think it is possible to work during the yr and still pass college exams? has anyone done this or also in the same boat? could i survive this year working, and maybe quit my job next year?

Heeelllpp!! thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been working part-time for pretty much my entire time in college (I'm in 3rd year CS, 5th year overall in college). 1 evening a week, Saturday and Sunday. It's not easy to get everything done, but you just have to be careful how you manage your time. If you've got free time in your college day, do your readings then, same if you've got a long bus journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Time management is the key. I worked last year in 2nd Year and it was no problem. Obviously being in 3rd (& Final)Year now, I'd rather not be in work (like yourself I also have debts unfortunately) but I have no option, unless somebody wants to be very charitable and cover them for me!! Tbh, I wouldn't reckon working more than 12 hours a week to be a good idea. Thats the most I'll do and my studies couldn't really afford much more. If you're job requires you to work more than you can handle, get another job.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If you work nights in a pub, you can get a lot done during the day. You may find that your social life is curtailed a good deal, but you can go out one night during the week with college people. I haven't worked regularly since third year because the hours they needed me to work, and the hours I could have worked didn't match.

It's definitely doable to work Friday and Saturday nights though.

Also, time management etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Worked through second and third year, mainly weekends with some week days when I had no classes, esp. reading week and holidays. Sure, working sucks, but loans have to be repaid, or else Mr(s) AIB/BOI/CU/UB/PTSB etc get annoyed and that's not good. I'm doing my masters at the moment and although my work has been limited to maximum three days a week until now, this week I'm working 5 and have college the other two... I'm only at Wednesday and I'm already pooped. :(

Limiting work to 10 hours a week is recommended by the college. If you can afford to do that, do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I'm giving up my job because I can't handle the college work at the same time (final year). But not everyone is the same. I could do 15hrs/week work last year fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

It can be done, I only work four hours on a saturday but I'm also a single mum, have to cook and clean my own place (supposedly), and work around my son, how I combat the whole problem is being selective in what I study, I don't know what subjects you're doing, but know at least three subjects, or one extra that is required for the exam (that is for each module), also I get up very early (around 6am most mornings and study or write essays them, plus read on the bus when travelling to and from college) I will admit I have little or no social life, I'm not sure how you feel about a little or non existent social life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't have that many hours in college really (13) but i don't think i'd handle a job very well. I am employed but i pick when i work and i haven't worked since i went back to college. I'm lucky cos i can choose what suits me but everytime i think about working i feel like i should be doing an essay. Ah well, maybe over christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Definitely doable, just depends on your priorities.
    Pay off debts or have a social life?

Had the old masters/fe1s/20hours work a week combo for last 3 months. Although it probably was the worst 3 months of my life :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'm in first arts with about 16 hrs a week and have Thursdays off (creative timetabling :D ) where I work 9 to 5. Realistically, I could skim off another few easy lectures and have Tuesday off as well - so about 20 hours a week is very doable, more if you're working weekends or have a nixer like Mystery Shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

sarz55 wrote:
    i have to work a part time job this year (i'm in 2nd yr) to pay off my debts. i'm starting to worry that it will be impossible to pass the year given that i have barely any spare time to study/do assignments and readings etc. i work at weekends and thurs/fri evenings. and apparently 2nd year counts as much as 3rd yr towards the final degree.

i need advice. do people think it is possible to work during the yr and still pass college exams? has anyone done this or also in the same boat? could i survive this year working, and maybe quit my job next year?

Heeelllpp!! thank you.

You'll know yourself how much time you can afford to work. Some people are lucky that they can work 15-20 hours per week and for it not to affect their studies but there's people for which even 8 hours of per week would affect their studies, I'd put myself in the latter. I finished work at the end of the summer to concentrate fully on 2nd year and so far it has done me good, luckily enough i saved my cash well during the summer so fortunately for me i don't need to work or pay off any debts and unfortunately for you your personal circumstances may have to dictate if you work.

If you feel you're doing well with your studies and have the time and the energy to work 8-10 hours then do but it sounds to me than you're uncertain that you can work without it affecting your studies. If paying off your debts is an absolute must then you ar going to have balance your time managemnt extremely precisely. It wouldn't do you any harm talking with a student advisor or the SU finance or employment officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

im working 17 hours a week (13 hours in college) and i am starting to feel the pressure right now!! what with it being the mid point of the semester and im starting to have a lot of essays to hand in at the mo, i never have a spare moment. I'm either in college, in work, or doing essays (social life? ha!!) i know it's only going to get busier tho so i'm not looking forward to that!! coming up to christmas will be tough with exams and trying to study for them, and i know that where i work will be introducing longer opening hours...but i dont care, im not doing any extra, i can't!! last year i worked for the first semester and not the second and my exam results were slightly better at summer than at christmas....make of that what you will.
    wish i didnt have to work but i have to. For the life of me, no matter how hard i tried i couldnt get a job over the summer so i am absolutely broke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Last year (my 2nd year) I worked about 20 hours a week, as well as full time during the holidays.
    I've given up this year as it's final year.
    I'm thinking of getting a job after Christmas as I'll have about 10 hours a week then and being poor isn't too nice! Neither is begging from your parents which I haven't had to do in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Deanopride

I work part time tech suport for eircom and you must do a minimum of 20 hours a week, i have looked at other jobs and would love to know what jobs are people getting that allow them to do 10 hours a week, i have never come across this in my life.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

At the moment, I'm doing about 7.5-12 hours a week in the pub. I'm getting away that lightly because they're stuck for the staff.

I'm sure if you worked any job where it's not a big corporation with a HR department that mandates these sorts of idiotic rules about hours and contract conditions, then you'd be well able to ask for <20 hours.

Advertisement