Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flue through roof

Options
  • 25-10-2006 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Howdy, I recently put in a wood pellet burner in my shed (new house) and when the guy came to commision the boiler he said the flue was too low. The flue as it stands is out the side wall and up. I need to put it straight up through the roof. There is no gable end to the shed and it is a slate roof. Any ideas on how to get it through the roof and insulate it ? The regulations state it has to be a meter over the shed roof. No support from the side wall.:confused: All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

King sound wrote:
    Howdy, I recently put in a wood pellet burner in my shed (new house) and when the guy came to commision the boiler he said the flue was too low. The flue as it stands is out the side wall and up. I need to put it straight up through the roof. There is no gable end to the shed and it is a slate roof. Any ideas on how to get it through the roof and insulate it ? The regulations state it has to be a meter over the shed roof. No support from the side wall.:confused: All advice appreciated.
    It is almost impossible to seal a flue through a roof like that.
    Maybe cement a steel scaffolding pole into the ground where the flue already comes through the wall and fasten the flue to it. I have seen that done.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I have the same issue with a small woodburning stove that I am installing in my new garage.

I intend to run the 4" flue vertically inside as far as possible, then run it at a 45 degree angle out throught the gable end. Outside, I will fit a length of insulated flue pipe and have it rising above roof level (if possible). I will make up a steel bracket and bolt it to the gable wall to support the flue outside.

The main thing is to try and keep the flue 'warm' so as to draw out the hot gases and not to have any horizontal sections that can affect the draw.

Advertisement