Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Problem

Options
  • 25-10-2006 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I would never shop in Tesco, but... Why should Tesco reduce a perfectly good product to suit your needs.

Should they have reduced the stock a week in hand for single people?

Are you saying that if there were four people in your home you wouldn't have asked for a discount?

Honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thats not a fair comparison. In fairness having a twelve pack of a yoghurt drink that expires the following day on the shelves....

I think a manager with good business practices would have offered a refund, even if the value itself isn't the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Baby4 wrote:

I agree with you. Tesco are supposed to put products with BB date of the next day in the discount section....in fact, had the product gone over it's SELL BY DATE? If so...the store could be in trouble for selling a product that is past its sell by!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

eth0_ wrote:
    I agree with you. Tesco are supposed to put products with BB date of the next day in the discount section....in fact, had the product gone over it's SELL BY DATE? If so...the store could be in trouble for selling a product that is past its sell by!

No they don't. They wouldn't have had to reduce that product till the Monday . Remember it was bought on a Saturday. Used By Dates are a different matter they have to reduced the day before. That's the law.

Can you imagine the cost of goods if everyone subscribed to that practise. People need to take some personal responsibility. The dates are clearly marked on packets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

There must be some sort of mistake, Tesco would never have near BB date stock on the shelves.

And they especially wouldnt ever have expired meats on their shelves days over their BB date and turning grey in colour.

Their milk would never taste like its been in the sun for 6hrs.

Whats more tesco couldnt possible have damaged stock on the shelves, dented cans, bread packaging pierced, cereal boxes open................

............ oh wait, they do! dundrum x 2, Bray & Wicklow town

** end of rant **

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I agree with you Oafley, I worked in a Provisions section of a supermarket for years, It is quite hard to get everything thet is out of date or close to being out of date off the shelves. you nearly always miss something. Actimels are great sellers and there is no need for them to ever go out of date if the shelves are packed correctly.

Baby to even mentions small claims is just laughable.

In fairness the manager should have replaced them for you, I wouldn't give a refund as he pointed out they were in date when sold. But it is partially your fault for not checking the date of what you are picking up.

And it's bad practice to reduce food that is about to go off, as it's not fit for consumption so what odds if you pay full price or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Baby4 wrote:

Don't see how you'd have a claim as the product was still in date. Bad PR on the part of the manager though, no skin off his nose really. Anyway these products are usually fine for a good while after their sell-by date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

Baby I would ring or e-mail their customer service section in the Head Office I'm sure they would refund you if your were nice about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

There must be some sort of mistake, Tesco would never have near BB date stock on the shelves.

And they especially wouldnt ever have expired meats on their shelves days over their BB date and turning grey in colour.

Their milk would never taste like its been in the sun for 6hrs.

Whats more tesco couldnt possible have damaged stock on the shelves, dented cans, bread packaging pierced, cereal boxes open................

............ oh wait, they do! dundrum x 2, Bray & Wicklow town

** end of rant **
    and Blanchardstown. I've gotten so fed up with Tesco and their crappy supposedly fresh fruit and vegetables that are a long way from being fresh and so much of their stock being sold the day before it goes off and getting short shrift from the managment when I say this to them that I've vowed never to go back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Used By Dates are a different matter they have to reduced the day before. That's the law.

would be interested in reading official source of this info if you could back this up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Baby4 wrote:
    Tough tbh, you should have checked in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Gurgle wrote:
    Tough tbh, you should have checked in the shop.

'Caveat Emptor' springs to mind straight away.
    Since they were in date, I'd agree with the manager tbh.
    You should always check the BB date on cold/fresh produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

You mean you nearly drank your little bottle of bacteria on the day after the day? omfg

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I used to work in Tesco and I'm familiar with their policies on this, it's been tested a few times. It should have been reduced, and any decent manager should have given you a refund, but since it was in date they're within their rights not to refund you. He didn't break the law, he's clearly just crap at his job. If you ring head office in Dun Laoighaire and make a complaint (try writing either - more likely to work) I'm pretty sure you will be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I had a simular problem with Tesco before. I went in and got a big basket of goods. I bought some tesco branded yogarts which i though were all stawberery i got outside and to my suprise they were all diffrent and had alot of flavors i didnt like. I went back into the store and asked to either exchange them or get a refund. They would not do either for me stationg they dont refund dairy products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Well it's not Tesco's fault you didn't look at what you bought or that you didn't like the flavours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

"Best Before" is a manufacturers recommendation but not set in stone - something like actimel should be ok for up to a week after best before date.

"Use By" is different and normally applies to meats and certain dairy products and other fresh foods. It is advisable to discard any products past their use by date.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Email a complete with your name and address. Highlight the managers lack of customer service etc, you'll most likely get a voucher in the post. Name of the manager and dates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

You purchased the product in date! They did nothing wrong. Guess it pays to look at the dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

I can't see how anybody could have a problem with this flagship store.What an insult to the highly trained -customer friendly-curtious and conscienous
    staff.

Do you know that I was told by head office that blanch is one of the highest scoring stores when their mystery shop calls to inspect!

I rest my case( on a very comfortable pillow)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

he's clearly just crap at his job. .

From what I can see nearly every Tesco manager is crap at their job....I mean what multi-billion chain can run out of nappies..?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

parsi wrote:
    From what I can see nearly every Tesco manager is crap at their job....I mean what multi-billion chain can run out of nappies..?

mine happened to be great at his job, a total legend in fact, and would certainly have given the OP a refund (or two), but there's some bad ones out there, oooh there are. retailers have to realise that even though there's chancers out there it's not worthwhile losing even one customer over the price of a packet of rotten yoghurt. and look now, dozens of people have heard about it now. OP I really do think you should contact Head Office and pursue this, if not to get your money back then as a favour to the rest of us who have to deal with poor merchandising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

I was buying yogurt on Friday in Tesco, and noticed that it was out of date next day; I pointed this out to an assistant who was sorting yogurts right beside me; she looked blank, smiled, nodded, and continued what she was doing. At that moment a manager came over to speak to her about something, and I backtracked and pointed out the date on the yogurts again, a whole part-shelf of them. She apologised profusely and as I left I saw the assistant removing them all. Later on as she passed me in the store, she smiled and said "Sorry about that again". Maybe that's why the manager is a manager, eh? So I don't know how the one you met got there, Baby4! But not through exercising good customer relations!

I pointed this out to an assistant who was sorting yogurts right beside me; she looked blank, smiled, nodded, and continued what she was doing.

At the risk of being accused of xenophobia, it's possible (if not probable) the assistant doesn't speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Moral of the story, "always check the date in Tesco". Has anyone noticed that short dated products are always placed at the front of the counter. I was nearly caught out a couple of times.

Bad management not to give a refund. Bad news travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

The lesson here is always go to the back of the shelf when buying something. Have been caught myself with yougurts that are out the next day and it's only me eating them, do not want to eat 4 in a day.

Bought cereal bars a few weeks back that were a month out of date, got them replaced but the following week noticed that the out of date ones were still on the shelf despite me having returned mine. I turned all the boxes round with the date showing and the following week, they were back the other way and still out of date! This went on for a couple of weeks until the whole lot of them were gone from the shelf, and have not returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

slave1 wrote:
    would be interested in reading official source of this info if you could back this up
    to answer your question there is but, i cannot directly quote sorry,you cannot sell products past their use by/best before dates thats a matter of fact,the shop could be closed down simple

however it is up to the retailer/mgt how long before the date the produce is to be reduced,best practise is as follows eggs are usually a week,grocery usually two weeks and all fresh food 2 days for best before and one day for use by. it is legal to sell items of best before a day before the date but not on the date and you can sell 'use by' up to the end of the date.

sadly it is still the customers responsibility to check dates as errors are made and some products get through the checkng system its life and the shop is not obliged to reduce their stock either its just a matter waste management

however consider this

if i bought those products and ended up not using them at home for what ever reason and then they were near their BB date in my fridge all i have to do is buy one in good date in the shop and use the receipt against the ones in my fridge and money back i know its a long shot but it happens

Not saying that the OP or anyone should consider it but when an item is returned with this issue ie good seller/never an issue before managers are confident that their staff would not miss something like that so assume the above

However good management and customer service would insist on a replacement product and using the database observe if the customer comes back regularly with out of date stock

Im not backing Tesco on this im just trying to offer an explaination

however consider this

if i bought those products and ended up not using them at home for what ever reason and then they were near their BB date in my fridge all i have to do is buy one in good date in the shop and use the receipt against the ones in my fridge and money back i know its a long shot but it happens

I would say that could be considered fraud. Probably the chances of the shop proving it would be slim and not worth the effort but not exactly an honourable reaction to what is your own fault in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

bmaxi wrote:
    I would say that could be considered fraud. Probably the chances of the shop proving it would be slim and not worth the effort but not exactly an honourable reaction to what is your own fault in the first place.
    correct it is fraud, it does happen trust me and the only way shops can do anything about it is to monitor the returns of people ie getting their name and address etc but for customer service until that is proven most managers worth their salt will offer an exchange

Advertisement